↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Generator
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Generator
I'm looking to buy a petrol generator, around 5500-6000w, to power my house during the (frequent) power cuts.

We tried a 4kw one, and it runs the basic house stuff - a few lights, the boiler (pump I guess), broadband router, laptop, fridge etc. However as soon as you put one "major" device on top (such as a kettle) the 4kw one struggles, and cuts out.

We have had power cuts as long as 3 hours (Christmas Eve 2013!) in the last few months, but neighbours recall power cuts of over 24 hours in the last few years. We live in a rural area, and power lines are all over-head Rolling Eyes

Budget around £500 seems to buy a branded (i.e. Honda GX390 engine) one 2nd hand, or a new "Chinese" one.

I'm thinking about 3-5 years on, can you get spares for the Swiss Kraft, Kraftech and other makes? I have a couple of local Honda places (where I buy my Stihl stuff for instance) who are great with spare parts, but no idea where I would get backup/service with a "Chinese" ebay special.

Anyone happy to share experiences? Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #392074 24th Jan 2015 12:29pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
There's a couple of Irish blokes in a white Transit that vist me occasionally.
They've usually got a 15Kw automatic start diesel genny in the back for just 1500 quid.
I bought a 3.5Kw petrol Honda copy from them about 10 years ago and it's never let me down.
Ask around, there maybe similar offers in your area. 
Post #392077 24th Jan 2015 12:41pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
It might be an idea to talk to a plant hire company, they will have probably dealt with providing solutions to problems like yours plus may be able to put you onto a second hand one that would more than serve your needs.
Post #392078 24th Jan 2015 12:44pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
I'd prefer a second hand Honda to a new Chinese.

Honda aren't the only makers of decent generators though, you do pay extra because it's a Honda but there are others available.
Post #392080 24th Jan 2015 2:00pm
munch90

England 
keep the generator you got and get a gas kettle ( use a camping cooker if you not got mains or use calor )

I run the house off a eu2000i 2kw enough for lights tele router etc , use up back up gas kettle , turn freezers off
Post #392089 24th Jan 2015 2:46pm
JJ

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Corris Grey
Fridges and freezers draw a lot of current for a short time as the compressor turns on, the draw then drops as it runs then they use very little ( if any ) when the compressor shuts off . The cycle then starts again .
You could turn these appliances off if the outage is short although I guess you never know how long it will be until the power is back on.
Post #392099 24th Jan 2015 4:06pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
By careful 'consumer management' as Munch stated you should be able to manage with a 4kw one easily. That would give you an available total current of just over 16 amps. If you expect to run an electric cooker, kettle do your ironing etc. you would need one in the vicinity of 10-12kw and still have to manage loading accordingly. Turning off when the outage occurs and staging the switching back on of fridges and freezers so they reach their optimum operating temperature before the next one is switched on will help too.
Out of interest for anyone that may like to know the automatic thermal switching on and off of appliances is called 'Diversity.' If you have an electric cooker it will be protected by a 40 amp breaker or fuse. If you add up all the power ratings of the hobs, rings and ovens and work out the total current draw of this quite often it will far exceed the 40 amp rating, the reliance is upon the independant thermal switching of the hobs, rings, oven not to exceed the 40 amps at any one given time. You need to follow the same principle when available power is limited.

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #392113 24th Jan 2015 5:15pm
munch90

England 
pretty rare its off for long round here , normally few hours then there is a generator put down the road
Post #392119 24th Jan 2015 5:24pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Hi Munch,

Never off down here but with the 'scaremongering' about future power cut probability and diminishing supply capability we have discussed the viability of getting one just in case! Sod's law and my luck dictates by the time we'll actually need one they'll all be sold. Nothing like a little 'backfeeding' to keep the house ticking over.

Laughing

What does one do? Whistle If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #392120 24th Jan 2015 5:29pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Some great advice here, folks, thank you very much Thumbs Up

I have had my sparky add a commando socket in the garage (whilst the refurb of the house is going on), so that I can pull the generator out of the garage and run it under the car port, out of the rain/weather, but so it can also vent the exhaust safely.

Also got a switch in the house to switch power from mains/off/generator. So it's all been wired correctly.

The 4kw genny we borrowed was from the sparky.

As K9F & Munch comment - we're not on mains gas, so all cooking is leccy. I do have a camping 2-ring burner for cooking if absolutely necessary.

My mate up the road has a 7kw genny, and during the last power cut, he could run the fabric of the house (fridge freezer, router boiler etc) , and still watch telly, make a cuppa etc. Obviously leccy showers and too many large items simultaneously was out of the question.

We do get a lot of power cuts (compared to shat I was used to when living in a city in Edinburgh) , but some are just a few minutes. The longest in the last 12 months was 3 hours, and the electricity board brought a huge containerized genny into the village until the fault was fixed. I was worrying about the contents of the freezer. Fortunately it was warm weather so not having heating was OK. Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #392140 24th Jan 2015 6:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1