↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2.4 Tdci sized, bearing failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
furianer

Switzerland 
2.4 Tdci sized, bearing failure
in the workshop today, one of my customers landys, serviced by Land Rover, now out of warranty. 2010 Modell, 106 000km

Car stopped on the highway doing about 100km/h, sized solid.

Now that the engine has cooled down it can be turned by hand, just

this is whats inside the sump, (trust bearings, and a lot of other bits and pieces, heaps of slick) the oil looked reasonable

bearing wear must have been a issue with this engine for quite some time, Land Rover replaced the turbo about 3 times during warranty

does any one know of a good source for secondhand or new 2.4 engines

There is another 2.4 , 2009, 90 000km, sitting out the back, heaps of back pressure, oil consumption is about 1 Liter to the 500km, just a matter of time before this one needs some attention on.

i have to say that this two defenders have been used for quite a bit of off roading, several trips to the cita di gradica 4x4 events, the water can be quite deep there.

Click image to enlarge

Richard www.stolz-rostfrei.ch
Post #390410 19th Jan 2015 10:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
furianer

Switzerland 
has this sort of damage happened to anyone else, how does mud and water get into these 2.4 Ford engines ?

We don't see this sort of damage on the 300TDI or the TD5 unless there is no oil or the oil pump lets go.

good night and thanks

Richard

Last edited by furianer on 21st Jan 2015 8:51am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #390791 20th Jan 2015 10:29pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
I have had 2 tdci 2.4 engines come through the workshop with seized engines in the last 2 weeks!
One 12 plate transit
One 07 plate peugeot boxer
Both solid on the crank! Loads of swarf and muck in the sump, both turbos shot to bits,
Both clocked over 140000 miles with very little in the way of regular oil changes,
Courier company's with the drive until they die attitude,
I'm changing my oil at 5000 mile intervals!
They seem very sensitive to oil condition.

Recon engine for peugeot, 3 grand from euro parts. 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #390866 21st Jan 2015 8:09am
furianer

Switzerland 
thanks a lot Ian,
lack of oil changes or servicing wasn't the problem with this two, i reckon that muddy water found its way into the sump, bit of a mystery how it would get there , can only think of the dip stick tube, maybe crankcase vent hose if engine is switched of while submerged in water.

Biggest problem with the current Ford powered Defenders are the drivers, believing Defenders are still the tough old machine that Land Rovers used to be back when they had a proper Land Rover engine in them.
Post #390873 21st Jan 2015 8:50am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1