↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > TomTom Live Services
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Blondie

United Kingdom 
TomTom Live Services
I renewed my annual subscription to TomTom Live a couple of weeks back.

Today I got a message on my Satnag asking me to agree to "information sharing" on my account if you agree TomTom can collect any data from your device, speed, location, points of interest etc for their use. They can also share this information collected with governments and businesses. Is this a new funding idea from TomTom or is it a ruse by government to issue speeding fines.....parking tickets.....etc.etc?

If you do not agree to this "information sharing" you will not receive any of the Tom Tom Live data, so no traffic information, speed camera locations, points of interest etc. although your Live subscription will continue until it expires (without providing any of the services paid for).

If this sort of policy is to be implemented it should be at your next renewal date not part way through a subscription.

Any else have other thoughts?
Post #390340 19th Jan 2015 8:51pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
TomTom has not changed the way they collect information. What has changed is that TomTom are now making you aware that they are collecting information, and that they will require your permission to collect information from your navigation device. TomTom also give you the option to opt out of information sharing. However, if you choose to opt out you will no longer receive LIVE services. This is because LIVE services needs to send the location of your device to TomTom in order to receive the traffic information related to where you are. If you agree to share your information with TomTom then you can simply carry on using LIVE services as you were before.

By law TomTom have to make customers aware that they are collecting this information. If you decline to share your information then the LIVE services will be disabled. If you agree to share your information, TomTom will continue to collect the information. The information that is collected is only the GPS postion and nothing else and is only transmited to TomTom servers. However,TomTom uses the information anonymously after they have collected it, and it is only used to improve the services to customers.
Post #390509 20th Jan 2015 12:46pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Re: TomTom Live Services
Blondie wrote:
I renewed my annual subscription to TomTom Live a couple of weeks back.

Today I got a message on my Satnag asking me to agree to "information sharing" on my account if you agree TomTom can collect any data from your device, speed, location, points of interest etc for their use. They can also share this information collected with governments and businesses. Is this a new funding idea from TomTom or is it a ruse by government to issue speeding fines.....parking tickets.....etc.etc?

If you do not agree to this "information sharing" you will not receive any of the Tom Tom Live data, so no traffic information, speed camera locations, points of interest etc. although your Live subscription will continue until it expires (without providing any of the services paid for).

If this sort of policy is to be implemented it should be at your next renewal date not part way through a subscription.

Any else have other thoughts?

Without sounding facetious, use a map. I find SatNav great for city centres, but on the open road a map wins as it never breaks down and you always know where you are. How many drifters do we see on the motorway relying solely on Sat Nav and if it stopped working would not have a clue where they are from the moment they left home. As regards Data collection, I am by no means a conspiracy theorist, but I cannot stand the idea of companies like this doing it. Much as with on-line shopping, Facecrack, or even the ever-more-popular 'smart' TVs. It's everywhere, you cannot simply be left alone. Going back to my cave now.... Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #390512 20th Jan 2015 1:35pm
gilarion

To some point I agree with your sentiments, however, a map is only as good as its accuracy and unless you constantly buy new additions, which usually only come out annually you are stuck with a navigation aid that is out of date. Roads are constantly altering with new byways etc. plus Sat Navs help you deal with road closures, one way systems that alter, and heavy congestion by alerting you to alternative routes.

I am a massive fan of maps, especially ordnance survey and for many years I used them for road navigation and the tried and tested if you are lost wind down the window and ask someone directions. Nevertheless these days I do use satellite navigation exclusively, for as used with a little common sense it gets you where you wish to go a lot easier than trying to follow a map while driving. Saying that I do none the less always carry a map as well.
Post #390542 20th Jan 2015 3:06pm
Grenadier

Agreed. Don't get me wrong, I do use a TT although never on my bike, but it is amazing how you can switch off. OS (and the French equivalent) do great Map Aps, which when tied to an iPad mini or Samsung thingy, offer great map planning/selection in realtime, (if you have 3G models), but without using data charges. One of my 'to do's for this year in lieu of TT. Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #390547 20th Jan 2015 3:26pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
And unless the tomtom is registered to YOU and your numberplate, then how will they know which car is speeding or parked illegally?
Post #390561 20th Jan 2015 4:02pm
Grenadier

gilarion wrote:
To some point I agree with your sentiments, however, a map is only as good as its accuracy and unless you constantly buy new additions, which usually only come out annually you are stuck with a navigation aid that is out of date. Roads are constantly altering with new byways etc. plus Sat Navs help you deal with road closures, one way systems that alter, and heavy congestion by alerting you to alternative routes.

I am a massive fan of maps, especially ordnance survey and for many years I used them for road navigation and the tried and tested if you are lost wind down the window and ask someone directions. Nevertheless these days I do use satellite navigation exclusively, for as used with a little common sense it gets you where you wish to go a lot easier than trying to follow a map while driving. Saying that I do none the less always carry a map as well.

Wind down the window and ask someone? You are obviously female as no man would ever conscionably do such a thing. Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #390563 20th Jan 2015 4:06pm
gilarion

No I'm a Welsh man; most of us Welsh men quickly get lost once out of our valley, so we are taught at an early age to ask for directions Whistle
Post #390638 20th Jan 2015 7:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1