↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Rear diff leaking
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Barrowboy

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Blenheim Silver
Sorry to hear about your diff seal issue and hope you get it sorted soon...

As I progress into my second year of TD5 ownership (obviously well out of the warranty period) I've realised that I really need to 'man-up' and tackle maintenance and repair jobs myself that would have been unthinkable for me 12 months ago because I have no mechanical or engineering background whatsoever. However, having watched my Defender-loving mate do all sorts of maintenance on mine I decided it was time to bite the bullet so I bought the Haynes and Land Rover Workshop guides with a view to getting more personally acquainted with my Defender.

Funnily enough, the first job I took on was the replacement of the rear diff seal. To be honest the Manuals were of little use (my failing eyesight struggled to make any sense of the little b & w pics in the Haynes Manual) but the 'how-to' step-by-step information available on the web is absolutely first-class as far as Defender maintenance, upgrades and general 'fettling' is concerned.

Anyway, long story short; rear diff-seal replaced, oil replaced and leak-free now for 10 days and 500 miles. It took me the best part of four hours(!) but, so far, no more oil on the drive and one happy bunny.

Until something else starts leaking, of course.

As I said, I hope you get yours sorted soon.
Post #375737 2nd Dec 2014 8:19am
charlesteton

United Kingdom 
Just had mine done under extended warranty on 2011 2.4 110 at 24,000 miles, dealer said LR use to fit with seals but now leave factory with sealant and they think they don't use enough to seal properly.
Post #388915 16th Jan 2015 12:15am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12