↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Lost drive in 4th Gear - HELP!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DefenderKen

United Kingdom 
Lost drive in 4th Gear - HELP!!
2800 miles, 3 months old.

Slotted into 4th gear, lifted off the clutch and no drive. Like being in neutral. Clutch back in, into third no problem then went back into 4th.

This has happened twice now so I rang dealer who suggested I rang Landrover assist to recover the vehicle to them. On a side note those of you in similar positions have you been supplied with a hire car for more than the stated maximum of 2 days? They offered me a 1.2 Corsa - I told them to think again and am still waiting...

Anyway dealer rang today saying they couldn't find any problems so couldn't do anything. Shocked

I explained the problem was intermittent and together with the clattering when coming to a halt after a long run and a buzz at 2500 revs in every gear plus bad syncro in 2nd and 3rd that there must be an issue with the clutch or gearbox.

Don't know how to play it now - collect car tomorrow / shout and scream (not really me) / call landrover and cry??

Any help from those who have had similar issues (Daniel TD5 etc, ) greatly appreciated.

Ken Stornoway Grey 90 XS
Focus C-Max Tdci
Kawasaki ZX6R C6f
Post #3802 11th Sep 2008 10:10pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Insist you're not an idiot - insist you're right until someone takes notice.
Post #3806 11th Sep 2008 11:21pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
Ken mate been in your posisiton many many times over the last 15 months. I have to say have always had a good car, XJ for three weeks, SE D3 on about four occcasions. Don't bother dealing with lR customer service they are next to usless!!! Try to keep the dealers on side but that said it is very hard with some (I know). Don't let them fob you off off or try to stall you!!!!!! I did this and lost a lot off my legal rights as because I did not know the law. They do so try to stall you! If you are not happy tell them in writting, before the six month point you can have the vehicle replaced or money back easly but after that it is quite hard (again I know).

Boy
Post #3825 13th Sep 2008 10:13am
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Are you sure that the transfer box lever is properly engaged and not floating between Neutral and High range.

As far as Land Rover Assist goes. If you tell them that you need a similar size 4x4 they will try their best to provide one, they may provide you with a small car as a stop gap until they can locate a 4x4. Enterprise rent a car have a fleet of D3 and FFRR for you when your car has issues they will provide you with a 4x4 if LRA request this for you.
If you feel that you are not happy with LRA you can ask to speak to a senior manager.

We have 4 new Land Rover products all of which have had problems. Every time the vehicles have gone in for warranty work we have had a large 4x4 to replace the vehicle that being repaired. So a big Thumbs Up as far as I am concerned.
Post #3835 13th Sep 2008 7:42pm
chalky

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I had this problem aabout two weeks ago !
I did not get into 4th tho I found a gap between 2nd and 6th that wasn't quite far enough back to get in gear which was a bit of a pain as I was on a motorway in traffic at the time. I went 3rd to 5th and when I tried 4th once off the motorway it worked and has not occurred again since ! DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #3836 13th Sep 2008 7:43pm
DefenderKen

United Kingdom 
thanks for the comments guys.

Interesting point about the low / high ratio but can't check as its still in the dealer. The feeling was exactly like the ratio dropping out - my old 300tdi used to drop out of low ratio all the time losing drive. Sure there is more to it than that though.

Eventually got a Disco3 TDV6 HSE delivered on Friday - have to say very, very impressed with this car. Just back from 500 mile trip to Scotland and back and could sharp get used to it!

Might ask the dealer for a straight swap Laughing

Anyway will see what happens on Monday. Stornoway Grey 90 XS
Focus C-Max Tdci
Kawasaki ZX6R C6f
Post #3849 14th Sep 2008 7:48pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
1st, 2nd & 3rd are transmitted via the layshaft. 4th is direct through the mainshaft.
The 'clutch' on the mainshaft has failed.............
Post #3854 14th Sep 2008 10:28pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DefenderKen

United Kingdom 
Laurie wrote:
1st, 2nd & 3rd are transmitted via the layshaft. 4th is direct through the mainshaft.
The 'clutch' on the mainshaft has failed.............

..............wish you worked at my local dealership Confused

ken Stornoway Grey 90 XS
Focus C-Max Tdci
Kawasaki ZX6R C6f
Post #3859 15th Sep 2008 12:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1