↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Lightbar output question .....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Windowlicker

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Lightbar output question .....
Hi there,

I am probably being supremely thick here Laughing but if for example I had 2 x led spotlights fitted, producing , for arguments sake 8000 lumens a piece.

With them turned on, am I getting 8000 lumens or 16000 lumens equivalent ?

Then say I had an Led lightbar producing 12000 lumens, is it going to perform better than 2 x 8000 L spotlights ?

Off at a tangent slightly, can anyone suggest a 20" lightbar with 11,500 lumens or thereabouts, with an ip rating of 69 around the £300-£400 mark ( eg the Wilderness Duplex one , which is my reference point )

Many thanks, Thumbs Up

Nick
Post #382766 28th Dec 2014 8:17pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Lumens is a measure of the total 'amount' of light emitted by a source in the visible spectrum. So in your case I believe you would just add the two amounts together.

The IP rating of these lights are the German rating IP69K which is the best one going for water ingress Thumbs Up

Have been having various 'conversations' with the rep and they have not experienced any issues with condensation and water ingress

I have not managed to ascertain if the light output in lumens quoted is raw lumens (a theoretical calculation in perfect conditions) effective lumens (raw lumens minus theoretical losses) or an actual measured figure obtaion by using a calibrated photometric device. That is one of the questions I need answering in the next few days.

Please note that this range of lights are not E marked so are for off road use only.

HTH

Brendan
Post #382771 28th Dec 2014 8:40pm
Windowlicker

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Hi Brendan ,
Thanks for the reply Thumbs Up though I think it is the least you can do, as having fitted my Noldens my lf170's appear very average and very yellow Laughing
Hence my quest for additional lighting.
The conversations you refer to , is that with Wilderness lighting ?
I know you dip lazer units but they are just too much spend for the amount of driving I actually do in the dark.

So the WL Orbs would at 8800L a piece throw out 17200 lumens in theory. ??

Many thanks.

Nick.
Post #382781 28th Dec 2014 9:00pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Hi Nick,

With LED lights you have to consider very carefully how, why and when you are going to use all the lights.

So just throwing out a few comments for you to consider.

On road or off road?

If on road use the lights have to be E marked to be road legal.

Range? What range do you actually need. 60mph you cover approximately 30 yards per second and your stopping distance is 240 feet or 73m. Well allowing for wet roads etc say 500 feet or 150m is the max sort of range you need for on road use. On country roads what is typical straight lengths do you drive on?

One single big LED bar or two smaller ones? Two small ones bumper mounted ones means you can point them outwards slightly which puts lots of comfort light close to vehicle and with a much better spread of light good for seeing animals on verges etc.

Light output? Yes you can have massive light output from LEDS but when you switch them off will you think you are driving by candles? Also look at light output figures. Are figures quoted raw, effective or measured? If raw consider these as headline figures with best quality LED working in perfect conditions which may be a long way from actual light output. If all the adverts does is mentioned wattage forget them

Offroad you will not have to dip your lights so often.

IP rating? Minimum IP67 is required. The higher the second figure the better. Best IP rating is IP69K

Hope that gives you some food for thought.

Brendan
Post #382819 28th Dec 2014 10:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1