↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Stolen > Stolen Defenders...!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
SS90 wrote:
Many trackers can be jammed, so they're not 100% guaranteed to get a vehicle back to it's owner.

I agree but many now have three means of communication. Any security device can be eventually overcome with the right information, technique and tooling, this does in no way preclude or negate the need to get one/some fitted. The standard security we all know is utter pants. I would rather be notified the minute my battery cable is cut, the geofence is broken and my vehicle is moved to get a decent chance of getting it and my extras back rather than do little or nothing. Getting a decent tracker fitted was 'eventually' at the top of my priority tree. I wish that other Defender owners would chivvy it further up theirs too before their pride and joy goes and they then wish....'If only....' If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #380036 18th Dec 2014 6:27pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I've upped my security just this week. Thumbs Up
Post #380041 18th Dec 2014 6:48pm
Venomator

United Kingdom 
K9F wrote:
SS90 wrote:
Many trackers can be jammed, so they're not 100% guaranteed to get a vehicle back to it's owner.

I agree but many now have three means of communication. Any security device can be eventually overcome with the right information, technique and tooling, this does in no way preclude or negate the need to get one/some fitted. The standard security we all know is utter pants. I would rather be notified the minute my battery cable is cut, the geofence is broken and my vehicle is moved to get a decent chance of getting it and my extras back rather than do little or nothing. Getting a decent tracker fitted was 'eventually' at the top of my priority tree. I wish that other Defender owners would chivvy it further up theirs too before their pride and joy goes and they then wish....'If only....'
I totally agree with everything you have said regarding Trackers Mal... Thumbs Up

Not only is it rude not to, it is downright stupid in my view, especially as many trucks get lifted rather than driven away, when all the mechanical tricks in the world, save using the QEII's anchor chain around the nearest immovable object, are of absolutely no use whatsoever... Shocked

However, one extremely simple, very low cost and proven effective device is missing from all these discussions, and it never ceases to amaze... Whistle

SMARTWATER it and fit their labels all over your truck as one highly visible and almost infallible means of marking and protecting not just your truck, but pretty much everything that can be removed and flogged off separately... Bow down
 Rog... Mr. Green
The GREEN One...

MY2016 Urban Truck Build Thread - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40548....al[/color]
Post #380057 18th Dec 2014 7:52pm
CatherineF

United Kingdom 
Well I've headed the advice on here and ordered!
Post #380060 18th Dec 2014 8:10pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Smartwater is only good if you're selling bits to people who can be bothered to carry a UV light and check it.

IF you're selling to like minded scumbo's who don't give a to$$, and will just respray the panels quickly to build a bitsa vehicle to sell on to an unknowing customer, then it's not a whole pile of use IMO.

it's a shame a group of (ex) owners can't get together and sort a law suit against LR for supplying pants security systems.
Post #380070 18th Dec 2014 8:52pm
Venomator

United Kingdom 
^ ^ ^
I think you are missing the point of SMARTWATER Jim, we are all entitled to our opinions and views on all topics, but your logic appears to be a tad faulty... Whistle

SMARTWATER is, primarily, both a deterrent and an aide to recovery (and re-patriation with the owner) for the police... Thumbs Up

Like everything else mentioned, in these hallowed pages, it is recommended as an integral part of a layered approach to security... Wink

And, there are other than readily re-paintable places to daub the liquid too... Mr. Green
 Rog... Mr. Green
The GREEN One...

MY2016 Urban Truck Build Thread - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40548....al[/color]
Post #380076 18th Dec 2014 9:08pm
chadjizz

England 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Orkney Grey
number plate blanking will not stop them finding your location, what it does do though is stop your car becoming cloned and then some poor sod buying a stolen vehicle hidden behind your number plate. happens the whole time. all they needed is the same car and colour.... not many people run checks on the chassis numbers when buying a new second hand car.
Post #380149 18th Dec 2014 11:41pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
^^^^ Exactly, especially with popular colours it'd be easy for them especially as ANPR is getting much more widely used across the board.
My view is the more you have the longer it takes them to take in the first place, if they overcome that hurdle then there is a 2nd line of defence and a 3rd and so on.
The likelihood of getting away with it from start to finish with out it coming back on them is a much more difficult task.

I reckon it's mainly foreigners doing it but, I can't cast aspersions as I don't know these people only the Police.

Ultimately any car can be taken, the Defender attraction in my opinion is parts and retained value.
Certainly marques attract it more than others and I think generally they are after the cars for to be stripped down not to keep as a whole vehicle and sell.

There's also decisions to be made as to advertise the security protection you have as having a physical deterrent and visual.
Or to have security fitted covert only.
In some ways if you advertise items it gives them the opportunity to look for your devices or know what they are dealing with.
If covert then it's more difficult for them to work out.
So personally I'd go covert 80% and advertise 20% as a deterrent.
Post #380161 18th Dec 2014 11:56pm
CatherineF

United Kingdom 
A serious question but just how many Defenders are being stolen? Obviously I'mreading about Defender theft here and I've read about it in the past. Equally I'm aware that there is a massive theft epidemic of BMW X5's and that if you buy one of these you can be certain your insurance company will be demanding a Tracker is fitted.
Post #380175 19th Dec 2014 1:37am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
For up to date info on stolen defenders have a look at landywatch.co.uk
Post #380180 19th Dec 2014 7:44am
CatherineF

United Kingdom 
I registered there last night and had a little look.
Post #380184 19th Dec 2014 8:15am
party monkey

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Cairns Blue
Please consider in all this that LandyWatch stats/maps are based SOLELY on what is reported on that forum. The best guess we have from previous stats is that Landywatch sees roughly only one in ten of actual defender thefts.

A couple of years ago, the police vehicle crime section (AVCIS) reported around 1600 stolen defenders over a twelve month period. Landywatch in the same period only had roughly 160 reported incidents.

I wouldn't want people looking at the maps, and saying 'Oh that's alright, nobody pinches them around my area'. I'm not suggesting mass paranoia but maybe a little bit doesn't hurt Smile Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #380340 19th Dec 2014 8:47pm
Fellrunner

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
After a lot of reading on here I've followed the layered approach; disklock, pedal lock, alarm, tracker, extendable bollard on drive and just had CCTV installed. I didn't go to this much trouble with a Range Rover parked on the drive for the last 2 years! Whistle
Post #380341 19th Dec 2014 8:52pm
Venomator

United Kingdom 
^ ^ ^
@party monkey - Is there no way LandyWatch can grab that info from AVCIS and superimpose it onto the stats map Jon?... Whistle

I would be more than happy to assist in any way I can, as it would make for a phenomenal resource and reference tool for all... Thumbs Up

Especially if the info could be added to your analysis data too... Bow down
 Rog... Mr. Green
The GREEN One...

Post #380342 19th Dec 2014 8:54pm
party monkey

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Cairns Blue
I can certainly ask AVCIS. In the past the info they gave me was just aggregated from all the local forces. I'll certainly ask if we can have something more meaningful, if, of course, they get anything meaningful from the local forces.

Leave it with me ...

[Added on edit] - thank you for the offer of help Rog. Let's see if we get something positive from AVCIS and then we'll go from there Thumbs Up Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #380348 19th Dec 2014 9:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12