↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Nuggets 110 Aussie Crew Cab Tourer Build
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
100inch

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
Thanks nugge t! Fantastic read. Beadell's book are a good reminder of the early days in the bush.
Post #372703 19th Nov 2014 11:28am
nugge t

Australia 
Hi 100inch

Yes they are. Sadly the tracks are slowly becoming grading roads or at least parts of them are. Anything that goes close to an Aboriginal Community is now fully graded. Thankfully they have left his signs or at least replicas of them and where the new road deviates, they have left access to the old signs.

Regardless it has been a blast covering them all, especially the more remote ones which I will post down the track.
Post #372858 19th Nov 2014 9:30pm
nugge t

Australia 
This was part of the return leg of my trip across Australia from Brisbane to Perth and back with as much dirt road as possible. Apologies for the "blue" pics...hack with a new camera accidentally changing a setting without realising.

The Connie Sue is a 650km track, most of which is graded somewhere between rarely and never, and runs north - south across the Nullabor Plain and Great Victoria Desert from Rawlinna on the Trans Australia Railway Line to Warburton.

Out here, no expense is spared on signs. They may not be pretty but they are good for another 100,000kms!

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]
The Nullabor has never been accused of being over vegetated, just plain and big

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

Part of the original track has been upgraded to a damn near highway as it joins two Indigenous communities. Fortunately there are some big sections of bulldust to make it a bit of fun at least

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]
The old Premier Downs Station is not quite so premier these days

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]
Survey markers along the track are handy navigation aids as generally the surveyors had a fair idea of where they were!

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

The track split at the "The Shed", a landmark in these parts. The car coming in on the right was coming from the community and turned out to be the only people we saw over the 650kms.

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]
Recent fires have decimated sections of the desert regions

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]
Neale Junction is the intersection of the Anne Beadell and Connie Sue Hwy's

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]
Luckily fire hasn't gotten it all

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

the corrugations are bone shattering and the ultimate test for suspension

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]
Feral camels are everywhere and these days we are seeing more camels than kangaroos!

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]
Damn fine looking truck there..wonder whose that is???

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]
This is the only reliable water for a couple hundred km’s in any direction

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]
Even home to a unique Aussie tree…a 4WD spare parts tree!!!

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]
The track gets a bit knarly in spots but a walk in the park for a Defender…

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]
Another part of the Aussie outback mastered with truck and driver surviving to fight another day.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #372931 20th Nov 2014 5:13am
Terryt

United Kingdom 
Really enjoying this thread .
Terry
Post #372934 20th Nov 2014 6:14am
nugge t

Australia 
Thought it might be a good time to update how all of my mods survived the big trip.

Had a bit of collateral damage on the Centre Line Track. One tyre was staked twice and has a single plug repair on the inside and a 4 plug repair on the outside wall. This became a 5 plug repair when it started to leak a bit in Perth but has not lost a psi all the way back to Brisbane.

FOOTNOTE : this tyre not only made it all the way back to Brisbane but also did the next trip which was another 10,000km/7,000km of dirt affair. The hole spread a bit and ended up with about 8/9 plugs but I got an extra 15,000 very harsh kms out of it. Got to say something about the Mickey T’s!

[/URL][/img]

Most damage was caused by my UHF ariel/height gauge which crashed back against the passenger’s mud guard leading edge. At limes it was being flexed back to almost 90 degrees. I'll make up a urethane cover/guard for future trips. Apart from losing the black tip, the ariel was not affected at all as it was the aluminium extension hitting the guard.

[/URL][/img]

Top commendation must go to Safari snorkels as the snorkel took a hammer from the squillion branches and nothing more than some scratches..

[/URL][/img]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

Very happy with my snorkel adaptor for the Sy Klone pre cleaner given that Martyn lost his on the same track.

The roof rack got a few scratches as well but structurally was sound as..

[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]

The side mirrors didn't take long to be folded back flat and the passengers was punctured by a branch..

[/URL][/img]

Had a small problem will diesel getting into the auxiliary tank breather line due to over filling but a quick blow out and that was hunky dory. Sliders and bash plates worked a treat, bullbar handled the trees and everything else thrown at it with easy, blew a relay on the spotties the last morning after a really early start. All the mods I did specifically for the trip worked really well with everything being easily accessible.

Biggest worry going into the trip was how the big screen of the car PC would handle the heavy corrugations and I was really happy. On the really bad sections of the Anne Beadell the whole dash took on the appearance of jelly on a wiggle board that was about to land in your lap but other than that it was fantastic. Ozi Explorer was a pleasure to use.

All in all, very happy with the way the mods held up under pretty extreme conditions.

Just replacing the flares after the last trip where 3 out of 4 broke one of the fixing points. Chook put me onto Flat Dog and they are chalk and cheese compared to the previous ones fitted, the brand Of which I won't mention.

These have a much firmer feel to them but most significantly the material does not thin out around the fixing points which were the major problem with the other brand.

The old...

[/URL][/img][/img]

[/URL][/img]

the new....

[/URL][/img]

So all in all given the remote and harsh territory covered, the truck held up fantastically with very minimal damage.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #373813 23rd Nov 2014 10:08pm
nugge t

Australia 
Just about to head off again and squeeze a last trip before Xmas. I will follow the green line the same as the last trip but then do the Blue loop.

From Alice springs I will head out to the Gary Junction Rd to well 35 on the Canning Stock Route, then the Kintore Track to Eighty Mile Beach on the coast between Pt Headland and Broome, over to Newman and then the Talawana Track to Windy Corner, Gary H/way/section of Gunbarrel to Warburton, Surveyor Generals Corner, Sandy Blight Junction Rd and then back to Alice and home to Brissie.

[/URL][/img]

Main project still to do before leaving is a portable 9,500lb winch which can be rear mounted should I need to pull myself out of strife.

I finally manage to track down an ongoing rattle/squeak after the last trip to the rear disk protector plates which had cracked as a result of the odd corrugation...well maybe a few more than that! Apparently it is common on Puma's and the dealer arranged a spare set, but knowing what I do and had planned, suggested that I beef them up a bit to stop it happening again. Found a second hand set for $44 which I reckon was going to save a lot of time and mucking around.

[/URL][/img]

Trimmed up the 2nd hand ones to so they would sit flat and allow the holes to line up. Also drilled some extra holes in it to allow it be tack welded to the new one.

[/URL][/img]

Used the actual bolt holes to keep everything lined up and it is ready for welding..tomorrow night...

[/URL][/img]

Welded up the backing plates. Just need a coat of paint before fitting.

[/URL][/img]

Post #374058 25th Nov 2014 12:44am
nugge t

Australia 
Got most of structural part of the portable winch organised today..

[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]

Got a start on the electrics but still got a big day ahead of me tomorrow to be ready to leave am Monday!

Finished off the portable winch today. Didn't have time to run the cable from the battery to the rear under the truck so used the power leads supplied with the winch, added an Anderson plug and then made leads to reach the battery. The leads are connected to the battery with an Anderson plug on and roll up behind the main battery so pretty neat for a temp. job.

[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]

Bit of an exercise but should get me out of strife if I need to get out backwards, especially as I will be on my own.

Truck is ready, loaded and I'll be up at sparrows to hit the road in the morning. Cheers

Post #374669 27th Nov 2014 8:47pm
GSLRO

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Chawton White
Be safe Thumbs Up Looking forward to the write up and pictures Bow down Adventure isn't paved!
Post #374807 28th Nov 2014 1:17pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Nugge t

Nice trips and a beautiful examples of piece machining
Keep going Thumbs Up Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #374836 28th Nov 2014 2:51pm
nugge t

Australia 
I had planned to travel the Kidson Track from Well 33 on the Canning Stock Route to Eighty Mile Beach on the Western Australian coast between Pt Headland and Broome. The advice from the Well 33 end was that part of the track had been graded for a new mining venture and was apparently closed at the top end but open at the end I was at.

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

A few salt lakes...

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

Plenty of camel digs where they dig large cavities to lie in....not to be hit at speed as I busted a bead on one later in the trip...

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

It was a bit after this that the trip started to get really interesting in the form of a “Road Closed “sign. Given the info I had received at the last community and that I had found no advice of closure despite exhaustive internet searches before leaving, I decided to proceed. I may have even accidentally knocked over the sign but that is “allegedly”!

Disappointingly the road became a typical mining company graded highway after about 50kms. It was a lazy Saturday afternoon when I happened across a work camp with 10 or so guys sitting around a campfire. I must admit they looked a bit surprised to see an old fart in a Defender descending upon them until a bloke I assume to be the supervisor came running towards me waving his arms. I thought to myself…what a friendly fellow, so I waved back and kept going!!!!

But karma is a bitch as an hour or so later, a big Bustard bird flew out of the bushes right along side the track. Didn’t see it until it tried to rise over the front mudguard so no reaction time to slow or swerve. Mind you 2 objects with the response and tunring circle of the Queen Mary with a broken rudder resulted in the inevitable….I would call this one a 1 each draw as the bird wasn’t looking any better than the windscreen.

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

Luckily I could still see enough and I was only 300kms from the end of the track although it turned out I then had to drive another 500kms to Karratha to get a replacement. The drive to Karratha was very interesting being constantly showered with slivers of glass as 4 carriage road trains went in the opposite directions at 100km/h. I had to hold the screen as it flexed in from the wind pressure each time one went past. All good fun though and a replacement came up from Perth over night.

Post #377183 8th Dec 2014 12:39am
GSLRO

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Chawton White
Bushwires Thumbs Up Adventure isn't paved!
Post #377346 8th Dec 2014 7:14pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nugge t

Australia 
The 3rd leg of the trip was the Talawana Track which is another of Len Beadell’s tracks in the Pilbara region of NW Western Australia. I started at the Newman end with the 1st half of the track being a well graded road as it provides access to the Cotton Creek aboriginal community. The second half is what it is all about as it spears out into the arid Gibson desert, crossing the infamous Canning Stock Route and ultimately joining the Gary H/way at Windy Corner…about as a remote intersection as you are likely to find.

The track starts on the Newman-Marble Bar Rd…Marble Bar is notoriously the hottest place in Aussie and as it is approaching mid November, temperatures are starting to rise with hot days and hot nights.

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

The track runs about 25kms form the Jigalong Aboriginal community where apparrently the favourite pastime is stripping stolen cars and then tourching them..I counted 30 in 30kms. Generally they have been flipped upside down which I later learnt was because the last thing they did was strip the wheel off!

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

The first half of the track is easy…follow the signs..

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

Unfortunately I didn’t have any immediate use for some spare magnesium but in this very rich mining area you are never surprised to come across another mine.

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

For the botanists this area is home to a little known rare gum tree the Rough Leaved Ghost Gum..for most of us just another source if fire wood…

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

I have crossed the Dog Fence on numerous trips which is not surprising given that this small section was 1,837kms long. Whilst this section is no longer in existence but other sections are still operational to help keep dingos and wild dogs out of the sheep and cattle areas.

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

One of Lens most remote plaques is located on this track. The current road has deviated from the original track and the sign is in the middle of a paddock a couple of hundred meters off the road. Amazingly the original drum is still there only rusted in the bottom section where it was filled with sand to stop it blowing away. A replica sign on a new drum has been placed alongside the original which was originally placed in 1963.

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

The dunes normally have a good covering

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

Recent fires have stripped the dunes. The ant hills are the size of a small car.

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

The colours of the desert are really strong even after the fires…I might add there is no fancy photoshopping either!

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

Time to make camp for the night and a quiet ale or 5

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

And another whilst cooking tea….it was a hot night OK…

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

Quick check in with civilisation on the sat phone..a pretty important safety item out here…

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

OK..time to get into the serious stuff. This is now the original track..what drew me here and I am not disappointed. Remote, arid, harsh, hot and isolated with next fuel nearly 900kms away the track heads off into the Gibson Desert.

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

Georgia Bore is just off the Canning Stock Route and an absolute oasis in the desert with water, some shade and a sit down dunny…how good is that!! The well was left behind by an Oil Exploration company who had set up camp here for 12 months in 1990.

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

The Talawana follows a section of the Canning and it is classic desert country.

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

Well 33 is in ruins these days

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

Well 34 used to be a fuel point where a fuel drop could be arranged on the 1900km trip. There was still a full drum but I reckon you would be pretty game to trust it was going to be there these days!!

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

The country just keeps getting more spectacular…for us desert nuts that is…

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

The water at Well 35 has seen better days as illustrated by the camel skeleton nearby

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

Canning Stock Route to the left, Talawana Track to the right…

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

Salt lakes don’t add to the hospitality of the area..

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

The carnage of past travellers

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

The countryside turns into spinifex plains where great care is required. The spinifex collects under trucks and can ignite around hot exhausts. I carry a 5L garden spray bottle with a long wand just in case.

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

And for those less prepared…

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

It was starting to get a bit warm…this is C so that’s a bit under 120F in the old money.

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

Quiet lunch in the desert…funny how you don’t get so hungry in this heat

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

Windy Corner and the end of the Talawana Track…no Macca’s to celebrate out here!!

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

Post #377487 9th Dec 2014 1:26am
Enid_Puceflange

Scotland 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Baltic Blue
Thanks so much for posting your photos up
Its a real treat to read.
You are very lucky having such a place to explore!!

Safe journeys and keep up the good work
Truly inspirational Cool

G
Post #377488 9th Dec 2014 2:09am
jomara

Scotland 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
What an amazing journey in both building and using your Landie, thanks for sharing Thumbs Up 2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
1971 Bowler Tomcat 88 4.2 V8 Auto
2022 110 250D XS
Post #377500 9th Dec 2014 8:14am
Rosso_NI

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 110 2.5 n/a Diesel ST Galway Green
Great thread enjoyed reading it and seeing your 110 evolve, scenery wasn't bad either Very Happy
Post #377502 9th Dec 2014 8:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>