Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Wind noise - door seal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
eutek

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Wind noise - door seal
Hi all,

Is there better option for the rubber door seals (the ones that always seem to come off and need to be re-applied), e.g. third party or something? Mine look ok, not perished or cracked, but it seems that the wind noise is getting noticeably louder. Whooshing, whistling etc.

I've pushed them back into place and tried to squeeze them so they hold better, but still - more wind noise than there used to be.
Post #370786 10th Nov 2014 2:37pm
Egghead

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
You could try the aftermarket Nakatenanga door seals but they are not cheap!! - In the topic Front door seals recommendations, "dgardel" says they are worth paying the extra cost. "szracer" has them too and has more advice in this post about nakatanenga front door seals.

There are cheaper aftermarket options but as it says in the ' Front door seals recommendations' linked post, some OEM replacements leak like a sieve and you are better off buying genuine and using a bead of silicon to help seal better. I imagine the Nakatenanga seals are the creme de la creme though if you can afford to splash out that sort of money. I just think you will end up spraying silicone on them anyway.
Post #370804 10th Nov 2014 5:07pm
Lou Sparts

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Have you tried adjusting the door striker plates to pull the door in tighter to the rubber ? 2005 Td5 90 XS

Steve
Post #370938 10th Nov 2014 11:02pm
eutek

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Thanks guys for the suggestions.

What seems to have happened is that I've been leaning a bit on the door getting out of the Defender (our old driveway was on a serious incline) and that I've shifted ever so slightly the angle of the door.

About the same time the wind noise appeared, I got an annoying rattle in the door, sounded like it was coming from inside the door or the column next to it, from about ear height.

Turns out that it was the lock mechanism rattling around on the striker. Adjusted the striker a bit, tightened it and this helped the rattle momentarily - but the wind noise remained the same.

Now oddly enough the rattle has disappeared! Wind noise is still there, wondering if adjusting the angle of the door would help, if I push it up ever-so-slightly?
Post #372442 18th Nov 2014 11:43am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1