↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Athens to Munich through Serbia !!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lrMike

Greece 
Athens to Munich through Serbia !!
To all my German and Serbian friends out there...

We are planing to visit the "electronica" exhibition in Munich during the second week of November.

The "obvious" transportation method is the airplane but I dropped the Land Rover road trip option on the table and my partners are thinking positively about it.

So the basic idea is to skip the ferry to Italy and travel from Athens to somewhere around Belgrade, stay overnight and then from Belgrade to Munich. Now the questions are:

1) Which route for the second leg is the best? The Belgrade-Hungary-Austria-Munich or the Belgrade-Croatia-Slovelia-Austria-Munich? The google maps shows that both routes are about the same in length but don't know anything about the other factors, traffic, tolls, road quality, etc...

2) We are thinking not to stay in the centre of Munich for obvious reasons but somewhere outside about 40 to 80 km max. I found a scenic place called Schliersee very close to Munich with some cheap hotel options. Is it nice or you can suggest something else?

3) The same applies for Belgrade. What place can you suggest for an overnight stay in order to rest around the Belgrade area that would be scenic and without getting into the traffic of the town. Because after all we don't want to lose time inside the towns.

I count on your support Smile

Thank you,

Mike
Post #361674 2nd Oct 2014 1:05pm
lrMike

Greece 
Anybody... ? Rolling Eyes
Post #362638 6th Oct 2014 3:51pm
Knappster

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Caledonian Blue
I can't answer any of the questions but have you tried a forum for overlanders or the like? Might get a quicker response specific to the route you're interested in. Smile

Rich.
Post #362824 7th Oct 2014 11:35am
lrMike

Greece 
will try that !!

Thanx anyway Rich
Post #362987 7th Oct 2014 9:23pm
Philslandy

Germany 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Hi Mike Very Happy ,
there is nothing against travelling in a Defender to Munich, exept that you will Need a green tag (Price 5€) called " grüne Plakette" entering the City. The Problem is that you just get it for the Puma models, not TD5... I don`t know how severe the Police is in controling, but you never know.
So the idea of taking a Hotel round Munich shoudn`t be so wrong, the Prices will be surely lower.
I have looked on the site of the "Electronica" witch you can read also in English, they have advices on Hotels or places to stay.
As this seams to be a rather great fair, you should make a Reservation soon...
The good Thing about staying the night at Munich itself will be the diversity of Restaurants, bars etc...
Wish you a pleasent journey

Philip
Post #363932 12th Oct 2014 4:09pm
vodonos

Slovenia 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Sumatra Black
Road throw ex Yugoslavia are very similar to all other road in EU. You can sleep and good eat very cheep in ex Yu.

Good trip BOŠTJAN
SLOVENIA
Cerknica lake
90 td5 2000
110 2,2 2012
Post #365682 19th Oct 2014 5:47pm
lrMike

Greece 
Thanx for the advice Philip. Mine is a Puma so no problems with the green tag.

Do you have any idea about the place that I found called Schliersee ? It seems very scenic and close to Munich with some cheap (still) available hotels to stay.

Vodonos your reply is reassuring and I think travelling through ex Yu is a very nice alternative to the adriatic ferry to Italy.
Post #365751 19th Oct 2014 8:54pm
lrMike

Greece 
Hello again!

As the Munich trip is approaching I would like to ask one more thing,

Which are the most convenient park n ride stations for someone like me driving from A8 to Munich in order to enter the center (like Marienplatz for example) with public trasnsport (S-bahn or U-bahn).

I am considering the park n ride solution since I believe that it must be very difficult to drive around with all the traffic in the center of Munich. Am I right?

From my search it seems most park n ride stations are open air. So are there any security issues for my parked defender and I need to search something like closed garages?

In that case please consider the height of my def (2,25m) for your closed garages suggestions.

Thank you in advance.

Mike
Post #370034 7th Nov 2014 8:00am
Boyd

France 2003 Defender 110 Td5 SW Zambezi Silver
Schilersee is very nice around there, to be honest around any of the See around Munich are very picturesque.

As regards park and ride, yes definetely for cost alone. As any big city local knowledge is king, it's been a few years but there is a free parking area on the right hand side of the road off a left hand turning just after you drive past the main BMW plant on the right. Think there may even be a Land Rover dealer on the corner on the right as you turn left.

It's one of the places loads of the locals park and then jump on the U-bahn about 1 min walk from the car park.

If you can't find that one, just look on a map of all the U-bahn stops outside of the city centre and drive to them and have a look at the parking situation.

Have fun, it's a crackin drive up the Baltic states to Germany. I would suggest a route but every route I've taken had been excellent in different ways. If you've got time I'd definetely go past Plitvica Jezera national park in croatia... beautiful! Depending on which route you're taking through slovenia I'd also recommend Lake bled it's simply stunning and the little guest house 'Pension Mlino' is awesome for the money. Or if you're taking the Innsbrusck route (I would only do it if you fancy a change) through to Munich there is a schnitzel hutte in the hills above Innsbruck that everyon has to try at least once in there lives. You do need to call in advance to book through as they do not ever have ace otherwise. If you want a bit of off road on route the gravel tracks in the mountains of slovenia are hard to beat although some will already be blocked with snow I'd think now. My Tom tom had most of the tracks last time I was there and it was an experience I tell you! 2003 Zambezi Silver TD5 110 XS SW overland prepped....
2004 Santorini Black TD5 110 XS SW left hooker for sale!
2004 Alpine White TD5 110 left hooker (work in progress)
Post #370048 7th Nov 2014 9:28am
Boyd

France 2003 Defender 110 Td5 SW Zambezi Silver
Just read your original post, wish I'd seen it sooner as could have given you some ideas but the only one I'd be weary of is Bosnia Herzegovina as the roads are still difficult and road mapping certainly on any kit I've used isn't always correct. Croatia and Slovenia you may as well be in Italy or Austria as regards road networks they are all very good. 2003 Zambezi Silver TD5 110 XS SW overland prepped....
2004 Santorini Black TD5 110 XS SW left hooker for sale!
2004 Alpine White TD5 110 left hooker (work in progress)
Post #370050 7th Nov 2014 9:34am
lrMike

Greece 
Thank you very much for all the useful info Boyd. Especially the schnitzel one since I really love it. Depending on the traffic I will try to visit the park in Croatia. I am sure it will be worth it.

Anyway I will keep you posted for my progress. Trip starts on Monday.

Thank you.

Mike
Post #370317 8th Nov 2014 12:13pm
salesman

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zambezi Silver
hi, as a newbie I have just seen your post,
I have a place in bulgaria so have travelled many times both ways,
the route through hungary is the better and cheaper and still safer option,
although I do enjoy going through the kraknow tunnel in solvenia and across to belgrade, that road is boring but quick.
I have been fleeced twice for extra insurance going through serbia/bosnia/
so if you dont have proof your insured in serbinan expect to pay.. I think it was 140 euro they got out of me last time
and you cant turn back, once your in customs they have got you.
and make sure you buy a vinyette / vinettca which is road tax, for each country or its another fine... and they check.
any thing else you want to know, dont post just bell me.. 07730822374.
regards
barry
ps, check the weather, just been told plenty of snow in upper bulgaria,
Post #370394 8th Nov 2014 7:05pm
lrMike

Greece 
Hi !!

Just returned back from a very nice trip and I thought it would be nice to write some notes for future travelers doing the same trip. The journey passed through FYROM Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia, Austria and Germany.

1) The most impressive thing is that the Balkan highways are in a very good condition and they can be directly compared to the Central European highways. The only areas not covered by normal highways was the first part of FYROM after entering from Greece (about 60kms) and the first part of Serbia after entering from FYROM (about 100kms road under construction). The best tarmac by far is found in Croatia.

2) The formalities during the border passing are nearly zero. Just a check on the passports and a rough look inside the car from the customs officers and that's it.

3) The tools in FYROM are 3 in total. Each toll is 1,5 Euro and they only accept coins of 1 euro and of 50 cents. In any other case they just keep the coins without giving anything back as change. Of course there is also the option of giving the local coins. The Serbian and Croatian tolls accept euros and they also give back change in euros. So no problem there.

4) For Slovenia and Austria a vignette is required if somebody wants to travel through their highways. The less expensive vignette has a duration of one week.

5) The average speed that I kept was 110 kms/h (Ground speed) meaning that it was about 118 indicated in the landy's instrument panel. My tyres are Michellin latitude cross 7.5 X 16. inflated at 38, 48 (front , rear)

6)The average fuel consumption was 10,7 lt / 100kms or 28mpg

7) The first part was Athens to Belgrade with a duration of 12 hours including a stop on the roadside for coffee and the second part was Belgrade to Schliersee (11 hours) including a stop to Lake Bled in Slovenia. Thank you Boyd for your excellent suggestion. The lake's scenery is amazing.

Cool On the road back we passed through Hallstatt, an Austrian village which is considered to be one of the most picturesque villages in Europe and it really is. I wanted to drive through the Hohe Tauern but unfortunately the road was closed since the 31st of October. Next time !

9) The Belgrade stay was at Villa Forest which is located in a perfect spot both close to town and next to the highway with a secure parking and very friendly English speaking staff. I definitely recommend it.

10) The Schliersee stay was at Gastehaus Hubertus Hotel Garni, an amazing value for money place run by the Adamski family. Very very friendly people who made us feel like being at our own home.

11) The land rover covered 4.500 kms without a glitch and without being tiring at all. Not even a drop of burnt oil. Just a broken headlight glass from a flying stone.

I am ready for whatever questions you might have. Photos from the trip will follow.

Mike.
Post #372308 17th Nov 2014 10:28pm
lrMike

Greece 
salesman wrote:

I have been fleeced twice for extra insurance going through serbia/bosnia/
so if you dont have proof your insured in serbinan expect to pay.. I think it was 140 euro they got out of me last time
and you cant turn back, once your in customs they have got you.
and make sure you buy a vinyette / vinettca which is road tax, for each country or its another fine... and they check.

Barry,

The only insurance paper that I was asked for was the green card. Its just a paper given from my insurance company that my car is insured in the countries mentioned inside. So no need for extra charges there. I don't know for Bosnia since I did't passed through.

The vignette is required only in Slovenia and Austria and only if you want to make use of their highways.

That's all

Mike
Post #372312 17th Nov 2014 10:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1