↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Help with lurch/clunk when pulling away....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Help with lurch/clunk when pulling away....
Having a strange issue with our 110. When pulling away there is a strange lurch when pulling away from stationary. If I gently lift the clutch from stationary the car takes up drive (no clunks) and starts to move off, then after a small movement it lurches/clunks almost like you had dropped the clutch too quickly.

For other reasons the car has just had a full front axle rebuild. Also today fitted all around springs, dampers, radius arms and trailing arms. None of these have helped.

A frame ball joint was replaced for a lemforder one about 4 months ago which at the time got rid of the terrible clunk when changomg gear or pulling away.

A frame bushes are a little worn but dont seem to have excessive play with the pry bar which would generate this movement.

Rear propshaft was replaced about 5k ago. Front prop seems fine. Car had a new dmf and clutch just before we bought it but I do not know the brand fitted (possibly cheap).

Have tried the car in diff lock. The symptoms are the same. Although it seems that if I accelerate from a standstill then dip the clutch and brake gently, it doesnt always seem to do it all the time when pulling away.

On another possibly unrelated/related note the clutch does judder terribly when pulling away unless you are gentle with the clutch/use higher revs.

Can anyone suggest anything, hoping its not going to be gearbox issues, although im sure it cant be.

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale
Post #368792 1st Nov 2014 6:33pm
muckybeast

Ireland 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Indus Silver
try you half shafts cheap and easy fix I had the same syptoms on mine before I replaced them Thumbs Up
Post #368810 1st Nov 2014 7:34pm
Dieselhead

Check your rear axle drive flanges

Take the rubber cap off & you can see the end of the splinded drive shaft

Jack up that wheel & turn, look at the shaft & see how mutch play you have

If lots then replace the drive flange, poss also the drive shafts Thumbs Up Chris

2008 XS 110 2.4 Utility. Tonga Green
1953 Series 1 for restoration
1983 Mini Mayfair
2004 VW T5 Camper
2008 Diahatsu Sirion. Thats hers
Classic Bolens Garden Tractors
Post #368846 1st Nov 2014 9:44pm
Fifth Horseman

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Have you checked the engine and transfer box mountings, if these are failing then this could be the cause of the judder, also check all the bolts are tight.
Other than that I think judder when releasing the clutch is most likely to be the clutch or DMF itself.

The clonk when pulling away could be the a frame ball joint again, although unlikely as a quality replacement was used. In my experience pay in the drive flange splines presents more as a click than a clonk and more usually when changing direction (forwards/reverse).
You mentioned that you had checked the A frame bushes, but have you checked the radius arm bushes, especially the ones at the chassis end, these do wear and can cause vague handling as well but are also easy to replace.
Unfortunately the other cause of a clonk when pulling away is gearbox related, specifically the gearbox output shaft splines where they fit into the transfer box input gear. You do not mention the milage of your 110 but if its high then this is more of a possibility, although was supposed to be "fixed" on later boxes. To visually check you can remove the PTO cover plate on the rear of the transfer case, use wheel chocks to stop the vehicle moving, then with the box in gear and the handbrake off (engine off) jack one rear wheel off the ground and get someone to rotate the wheel back and forwards whilst you look for play.

I hope it ends up being something cheap. BTDT
Post #368851 1st Nov 2014 9:53pm
rallysteve

Thanks for that.

I replaced the radius arm bushes when I re-fitted the refurbished front axle so they should be okay. The front axle has good CV joints with Ashcroft HD drive flanges so no slack in them. Rear axle drive flanges are fairly new

I had the bottom cover off the transfer box not long ago to change the gasket and had a poke around whilst I was in there. Didn't see anything with excessive play. I will whip the PTO cover off and take the input gear out to check the splines anyway though so I can hopefully rule this out. The truck has done just over 100k

The strange thing is that it only seems to do it after you have started moving away, not as you take up any slack in the drivetrain. Had a bit more of a play with it when I went out earlier and it doesn't seem to do it at all if I set off in second gear or in low range! I am starting to think that it is a clutch/dmf problem.

I will have another pry of the a-frame bushes and ball joint to make sure that is okay and hasn't come loose or anything.

Other than that I am out of ideas really!

Cheers
Post #368887 1st Nov 2014 11:07pm
flying_low

Kenya 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
Hi,
Did you find the problem was the gearbox output shaft splines then?
Just wondering am dealing with very similar symptoms that ended in complete loss o drive with no other warning signs that there was anything wrong. Turns out it might be the intermediate shaft bb/w g-box and t-box. Splines worn.
This is on a 2011 2.4 puma tdci which has the MT82 gbox mind.
Anyway be interesting to know what you found?
Thanks! 2011 110 Tdci
1982 Range Rover V8 Classic (Gone)
Post #390396 19th Jan 2015 10:31pm
rallysteve

Sorry meant to update! Problem turned out to be the ckutch hydraulics (or lack of!). Other half asked me to have a look at it as the pedal didnt feel right and it had randomly stalled with foot still down. After finding the clutch master empty i pulled the slave cylinder out to find it was very wet with fluud and didnt operate smoothly. Master was also a bit scabby.

Changed both and bled and judder/lurch dissapeared almost straight away. Pefal does feel a little heavier than before. I think the lurch was due to the slave sticking and the judder was due to fluid contaminating the clutch friction plate.

Hope that helps someone else. Dont think the mt82 uses the same slave design though.

Post #390418 19th Jan 2015 11:07pm
rallysteve

Well to re-open this. The issue has returned again. Doesnt seem to get any better once warmed up. Will investigate the fuel pressure regulator I think in case its leaking into the clutch. I am going to take the wading/drain plug out of the bellhousing i think to make sure no liquid has accumulated in the bottom of it.

I am certain this is not driveline (post clutch) related though as it happens after you have already started pulling away so all of the slack has already been taken up

Post #395137 2nd Feb 2015 2:43pm
jomara

Scotland 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Hi Steve

I had a problem with the FPR on the Td5 peeing diesel onto the bell housing and starter when the engine was running, whn fitting the new FPR and starter I gave the clutch and bell housing wash out and a good spray with cleaner, it removed the worst of the contamination and reduced the judder. Hope you get to the bottom of it.

Cheers
John 2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
1971 Bowler Tomcat 88 4.2 V8 Auto
2022 110 250D XS
Post #395153 2nd Feb 2015 4:12pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
I would be interested to know the outcome of this as I have very similar symptoms too.

Only ever happens in first gear, never in reverse, low range or any other gears.
Feels like your not giving the engine enough revs and it (the vehicle not the engine) judders but once you have started moving.
In a weird way feels like the axles are "fighting " each other a bit i.e. one is moving, then the other.
Also can feel like the handbrake is grabbing but doesn't get warm or do it in both directions so not that.

Only thing I have changed was new clutch and flywheel - before this it never happened. Also changed rear drive flanges but made no noticeable difference.

Interesting what you say about the clutch hydraulics- will give them an investigate over the weekend.

I have had a pair of technicians look at it, first one suspected drive flanges, the other I could not replicate it for despite having done it all the way to the garage Evil or Very Mad Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #395320 2nd Feb 2015 10:43pm
Sam.

United Kingdom 
We had a bad clunk that ended up being very worn UJ's on the centre prop...
Post #396241 5th Feb 2015 10:22pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
any up dates ?

dodgy clutch master cylinder?
Post #433729 26th Jun 2015 7:39am
rallysteve

The problem persists. I am 99% sure that it is either the clutch or DMF causing the issue. Problem disappears completely once fully warmed up.

The FPR does look as though it is developing a leak but has not changed the symptoms at all. Currently just living with the judder as the clutch/flywheel is only about 7000 miles old but is unknown brand as it was fitted before we bought it (most likely britpart or similar)

Will stick a new clutch, flywheel, rear mainseal and FPR on it later in the year.

Cheers
Post #433752 26th Jun 2015 10:06am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
hope it holds up until you get round to it Thumbs Up
Post #433796 26th Jun 2015 1:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1