↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > On-Road modifications for a Defender 90
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Monmouth

Wales 1990 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Firenze Red
On-Road modifications for a Defender 90
There are endless threads about improving off-road performance but what about on-road modifications?
I'm building a D90 stealth camper which will rarely be used off-road.
I will need to lower the suspension to get into the car park at work. Other than road tyres, Disco transfer box, HD anti-roll bars and soundproofing what can I do to improve the on-road experience? 1990 Defender 300TDi
Post #365806 20th Oct 2014 2:27am
Dave T

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Cairns Blue
Seats were the big thing for me, I have Disco 1 seats, although plenty can fit. Just be careful if you have a cubby, seats with arm rests may restrict access. I also have centre cubby thats raised up by around 3 inches (on a fence post temporarily Whistle Whistle ) so you can put your elbow on it. 2015 RRS Autobiography SDV6
1994 Def 90 300tdi
Post #365808 20th Oct 2014 6:52am
Will.I.AM

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Kaikoura Stone
led headlamps
limited slip diffs back and front from ashcroft
bucket seats
wind guards on the front windows
poly bush set
rtc steering damper

a few which i have found make a differnce to the handling and driving, if you want looks go for the full grille and bumper/drl makeover too! Thumbs Up
Post #365837 20th Oct 2014 10:41am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
zone30

Belgium 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 X-Tech LE Nara Bronze
Lsd's for road use improvement? Plz explain...
Post #365845 20th Oct 2014 11:14am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Bucket seats? With my fat ar5e.....think not! Laughing

Standard diffs, gearbox, transfer box, suspension.
Red 'performance' polybush, remap, larger intercooler and a few other bits 'n' pieces beside.

Yesterday I covered nearly 600 miles in one hit only stopping for fuel. Standard seats at just over 6 foot. Seat rails dependant on model, LED headlights a must, AT tyres, decent head unit and perhaps most important a few modifications for acceleration, fuel economy, engine running and motorway/autobahn munching. I sat between 70-85 mph all day and water temperature never got above 88 degrees.

Ultimately you will need to find out what is best for your needs. It invariably is an 'evolution' process. If it doesn't suit.....sort it! It is however 'personal choice' and dependant on how big your budget or how urgent your needs actually are.

Zone 30 I swung by Gent yesterday...... Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #365846 20th Oct 2014 11:15am
Will.I.AM

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Kaikoura Stone
LSD – Ok, the reason let me start with the reason I got them, I blew my diff reversing a heavy trailer round a corner when it was in the mud and I was still on tarmac, after shopping around the cheapest I could get an original one rebuilt I was looking at 700 qwid plus. I then looked at lsd’s, Ashcroft ones were 300/350 odd, sorry I can’t remember exactly what I paid, and I got two as they were going to be the same price of a normal new one. I fitted them myself which wasn’t difficult, and I believe they are stronger than normal diffs.

What’s the benefit – The whole point is that when one wheel loses grip, instead of the diffs giving the free wheel all the power giving you a wheel spin, it keeps power going into the wheel that is still gripping and limits it to the free wheel. You feel it most on corners or when braking hard. When I’m on roundabouts I tend to drive a bit faster (I am not an irresponsible Censored , I drive normally everywhere but like to have a bit of fun when its safe and reasonable, especially on roundabouts or country roads, fields etc.). it helps you braking in corners, it helps pull the wheels straight when accelerating hard out of a corner, and when it is wet or icy and you are accelerating hard especially on corners, it helps stop the inside wheels spinning.

Sorry, probably not the best ‘help’ description but that’s what I have noticed, I quote often take mine to Salisbury plains or to grass fields near us etc and it is perfect for that kind of driving, you can drift and power slide easily too, but I guess if this isn’t what you plan to do then that would apply.
Post #365856 20th Oct 2014 11:59am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
It doesn't need any modifications. It'll pass an MOT so it's road worthy. Anything you add is your choice. Many of the modifications people mention are their own personal choice and not necessarily what you'll like and it won't necessarily improve your vehicle in the environment you use it. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket but no where to spend it I'd put it in a pot and wait for the day you say "You know what really annoys me about this car, ..." and spend it fixing that.
Post #366025 20th Oct 2014 9:51pm
Cuthbert

One word comes to mind "Why"?
Post #366045 20th Oct 2014 11:08pm
Monmouth

Wales 1990 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Firenze Red
AndyS wrote:
I'd put it in a pot and wait for the day you say "You know what really annoys me about this car, ..." and spend it fixing that.

Apart from the shocking reliability and corrosion issues it's the 1950s ride quality in a 1990s vehicle that annoys me. I've got a balls out off-road Defender 90 that's fitted with all the toys but I also need a road going Landy that will get me to work in all weathers and allow me to kip in the vehicle too. As I drive to work from north Wales to London twice a month I'd like the vehicle to have good on-road manners. Strange how people spend thousands improving the off-road characteristics of their vehicles even though they'll never go off road yet are averse to spending anything to improve the road manners even though the vehicle spends 99.99% on metaled roads. I think I'd rather do an emergency stop in a Bedford MK than a standard 1990s Landy! Laughing 1990 Defender 300TDi
Post #366048 20th Oct 2014 11:23pm
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
have a look at my truck... don't think theres much left to do for road handling with it.
Post #366069 21st Oct 2014 12:34am
Dave T

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Cairns Blue
As I said, seats improve it greatly. I used to get really sore after a couple of hours on standard seats, now I can be in it for two days straight and feel no discomfort. 2015 RRS Autobiography SDV6
1994 Def 90 300tdi
Post #366075 21st Oct 2014 6:57am
zone30

Belgium 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 X-Tech LE Nara Bronze
K9F wrote:
Zone 30 I swung by Gent yesterday...... Thumbs Up

Thumbs Up
Post #366229 21st Oct 2014 6:49pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
vw t5? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #366245 21st Oct 2014 7:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1