↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Today's PITA!!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jomara

Scotland 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Today's PITA!!!!
Got dragged out of a meeting to tell me a 17.5T wagon had just reversed into my 110, met the wagon driver at the door and he's telling me he's only marked my spare wheel!! Crying or Very sad

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Hmm think the guy needs glasses!! What makes it worse is that the truck had a reversing camera!! Evil or Very Mad 2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
1971 Bowler Tomcat 88 4.2 V8 Auto
2022 110 250D XS
Post #361239 30th Sep 2014 2:26pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Gutting.....Hopefully as the rear door is only made of Bacofoil it may 'pull out?' The bodyshop would need to take the door card off to check the seal round the edge of the door hasn't cracked, but they'd hopefully do that anyway. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #361241 30th Sep 2014 2:41pm
Venomator

United Kingdom 
That's a bummer, really feel for you Jo... Big Cry

And typical of some of the lorry driving fraternity - mine's alright and so should yours be, it's only superficial!... Shocked

Don't suppose it is even his own insurance anyway, but get on to his employers straight away and let them know what you think... Whistle
 Rog... Mr. Green
The GREEN One...

MY2016 Urban Truck Build Thread - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40548....al[/color]
Post #361246 30th Sep 2014 3:56pm
jomara

Thanks guys

From what I can see the frame across the bottom of the window is bent and from the shape of the backplate for my Nakatenga wheel carrier I'd assume the internal frame is banana shaped too!!

Need to get it to the bodyshop and get it fully estimated to see where we go from here as I'm not 100% sure the spare wheel and carrier are still straight never mind the actual door Big Cry

Luckily I have an all risks business policy which will cover me but it turns out the transport guys use an accident management company to handle their claims!!! No doubt they'll be looking to cut corners on the repairs by using their selected body shops but I'm going to insist it goes through the dealer to keep within the terms of the corrosion warranty.

I'm a bit worried that the rear window is under a considerable amount if stress with the bow across the bottom of it, hopefully the tint film should hold it in place if it lets go. Sad

Need to see where we go from here Rolling Eyes 2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
2022 110 250D XS
Post #361248 30th Sep 2014 4:10pm
Fabio

Portugal 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
That is something you don't need...
Good luck with the repair!
Post #361250 30th Sep 2014 4:29pm
Cuthbert

....... and the good news is ............ at least the trucker 'fessed up' and didn't just drive off.

Just be very clear with the claims management company what your exact requirements and expectations are. These chaps make their money (profit margin) by squeezing every penny they can out of a job - short-cutting wherever possible. You need to be fair but very firm with them and always remember time is money (both for you and them). As for the repair centre - your choice, but be prepared for the other party trying to reduce costs with zero interest in how you and your vehicle will be the day after the job is done.

I'll be interested to hear how this develops.
Post #361330 30th Sep 2014 9:38pm
jimbob7

Needs at least new door,entirely your decision as to who repairs the car,only downside is you may have to claim back the cost of a hire car (2-3 days MAX) if the other company is being funny,most half decent body shops will have a courtesy car anyways,providing you don't mind waiting till its available.Also ask them to blow the rear panels in for an exact colour match.Try and get recommendations for a good bodyshop. Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #361334 30th Sep 2014 9:49pm
Lorryman100

John, get it into Taggarts body shop in Motherwell. They have done a couple of paint jobs under warranty on mine and the matching is perfect. Thumbs Up
Post #361353 30th Sep 2014 11:05pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jomara

Hi Cuthbert
My 110 is on my business policy and my insurance agent is like a dog with a bone, he has already suggested we go ahead and get the claim underway, get the car repaired to my satisfaction and then let the insurance companies have the fight after its fixed. I'll keep you posted as it progresses!!

Hi Jimbob
I agree it looks like a new door, don't know if the window will come out in 1 piece, had a closer look this morning and theres a slight bend in my Nakatenga carrier, the back plate on the door is like a banana, the rear quarters look to have been pushed in slightly as the trims around the door has popped, the powder coat on my spare is chipped and I'm not 100% sure the wheel will still be straight!! I'm not too fussed about a loan car as we have the wifes convertible sitting doing nothing and my Td5 is tucked away in the warehouse getting a bit of TLC just now, just want it sorted and back to the way it was!!

Thanks for the recommendation Brian, Gerry Peat the service manager used to be a neighbour of mine and I'm currently in discussions with him after they stained one of my Bowler wheels with Loctite!!!
Having said that Mark the mechanic I have met on several occasions is a lovely guy and is a Defedner nut too!! I am waiting for them to come back to me about fixing the orange peel and the roof damage (tell youu another time) so I can just add this to the list!!!

Cheers
John 2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
2022 110 250D XS
Post #361376 1st Oct 2014 10:17am
Jonno1968

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Are you sure it didnt come out the factory like that?

On a serious point, i run a huge lorry fleet and the installation of reversing cameras increased the incidence of reversing actions. Problem is, drivers rely on them too much instead of using the good old fashioned method of taking more care and using their mirrors!
Post #361415 1st Oct 2014 1:32pm
jomara

Thanks guys Thumbs Up

You're right Jonno, drivers become complacent with all the new toys, one of our customers bought a new car with the lane change assist system, apparently it now saves him looking at his mirrors when changing lanes!!

No one was hurt when my accident happened but it hasn't stopped me being inundated with ambulance chasers offering to get me payouts of up to £50K!!! No wonder insurance costs are going through the roof!!

To date the truckers accident management company have washed their hands of the claim as their client admitted lability so its over to Zurich at this point based on Lorryman's recommendation I have chosen Taggarts Land Rover as the bodyshop, they have submitted their estimate. Brendan at 4x4 Overlander has quoted for a new Nakatenga stainless carrier and Bowler are providing a cost for wheel repairs and a replacement tyre.

Got a meeting with my insurance broker tomorrow to push the repair along, I'm reluctant to go too far in the car in case my back window breaks and leave it unsecured.

Keep you posted on how it goes Confused 2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
2022 110 250D XS
Post #363158 8th Oct 2014 7:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1