↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > My Camel, the ol Tdci 130
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
newhue

Australia 
Interesting game this insurance gig. I have to wait 4 to 5 weeks while the Land Rover Australia import a rear cross member to sell to the repairer. I find that amazing when I can get an a galvanised after market one here in a week from the UK.
In the mean time I am driving around in a hire car to match my old car roughly for a whopping 634 pound per week. It then goes to the repair shop for two weeks apparently. It looks like the chassis will be straightened. Not sure if it will be reinforced but I will ask. I have told them many times it's a keeper and gets well used. My Defender and travels
Post #358345 17th Sep 2014 6:31am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
surf110

Brazil 2009 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Fuji White
Great info. Thanks.

[quote="newhue"]Thanks, sure.

Google Les Richmond Autos, I'm sure if you email them Andrew can get something organised if you like.

here is the page you most likely need. I went with Purple (Range Rover rears) in the front, and had the Orange-Green custom wound to 18". And I still run the standard inner springs. I believe they also do progressive springs, but each to their own.
[url]http://www.lrautomotive.com.au/contents/en-us/d665.html[/url]

This chart may be helpful also
[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/f0aL0Or2g][IMG:737:519]http://imageshack.com/a/img540/3571/aL0Or2.gif[/img][/URL][/quote]
Post #359156 21st Sep 2014 1:15am
lacrits68

Sweden 
hello!

How is going with 130? is it reparable?

//Jan
Post #376543 5th Dec 2014 10:22am
newhue

Australia 
Hi

Well after 7.5 weeks I finally got the camel back a week or so ago. It was so nice to get back into a car back with suspension.
My repairer did a great job and happy to say it drives as good as it always did. The chassis has no sign of damage at all, and I got the OE rear cross member galvanised before being installed. So happy days.

We have a trip planned to Cape York next year so I have a few little things to do it, like add a audible water sensor to the OE filter. But basically just get back into enjoying the car again.

thanks My Defender and travels
Post #376560 5th Dec 2014 12:31pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
I suffered the same accident some years ago, so I understand you pretty well. Tooks me around 6 month to convince the Insurance and repair it.

Good to know that the Camel are in the road again Thumbs Up Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #376585 5th Dec 2014 1:27pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Fantastic News Very Happy Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #376622 5th Dec 2014 3:43pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Outstanding Thumbs Up
Post #376652 5th Dec 2014 5:39pm
newhue

Australia 
Been a while but it's funny how it all swings around. I bought two ARB lockers to go into a Tdi130 I was hoping to build and take to the US, then on sell it to pay for the holiday. Well that all became to hard for a whole gamut of reasons in the end. So I had two lockers sitting around, and was thinking of just moving them on.

It appears the panel beater didn't tighten up my A farm bolts all that well from the rear ender I had 5 months earlier. And with a combination of being too busy, and lazy, the end result apart from a noisy vibrating diff, and a rear end that sounded like was going to fall out; was a blown pinion seal and damaged pinion bearing. So the whole Salisbury show came out for the bearings to be repaired. And I thought may as well ditch the Detroit, and introduce the ARB.

I had some switches made up years ago when I was initially looking at going down this road. They look factory enough for me. I will get the front in over the next few months.

Click image to enlarge

And now I have a very busy little compressor. Ran out of day light so will finish the plumbing tomorrow.

Just as a side note, I finally got reimbursed by the at fault insurance company for my out of pocket hire car costs just this week. Some 8 months after the accident, and 5 months after I got my car back. Make of that what you will. My Defender and travels
Post #422189 9th May 2015 10:39am
surf110

Brazil 2009 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Fuji White
Hey newhue.

Can you share with us how you got the switches engraved? Thanks.
Post #436433 7th Jul 2015 10:40pm
newhue

Australia 
Sure, having sourced blanks, I just took them down to a locksmith who did engraving. A trophy supplier probably would also do the same. But he just engraved them . They are not exactly the same, as the surface is not totally smooth. But if you just skim the black then there is white underneath. Buy a few practice blanks for them to get it right. I cant recall where I got the blanks, but the switches were the same as the rear demister, not the fog light. I drilled the hole in the blank before the engraving using an OE as a template.
I also got a line for a light bar, and two dots for spot lights made. My second fuel tank one came with the tanks. My Defender and travels
Post #436843 10th Jul 2015 9:31am
Guy

United Kingdom 
It has been said before, but I will say it again. What a superb Land Rover and what a fantastic thread. Thank you and well done buddy!

I am toying with the idea of selling my Discovery and switching to a 300Tdi 130 as we have two young sons, we want them to share our love of travel and the outdoors, but the Disco is just a bit small and I don't want to tow a trailer.

Incidentally, my Discovery is named Dingo as she was originally from Australia! We plan to drive from the UK to New Zealand (via Australia) to visit family when the boys are old enough.

Thanks again for the thread, I might write a For Sale advert for Dingo this weekend! 😁 
DINGO - '99 Discovery 2 V8 with 300Tdi transplant, chawton white. Repatriated from Australia and expedition prepped.
**FOR SALE**
SHARKY - '06 Discovery 3 HSE Auto, bonatti grey. SOLD.
GEORGE - '99 Discovery 1 300Tdi Auto, willow green. Daily driver, travel companion, part of the family! SOLD.
PINGU - '96 Defender 110 300Tdi station wagon. SOLD.

Dream LR - 130 pop top station wagon camper.
Post #458175 26th Sep 2015 12:10pm
newhue

Australia 
Thanks Guy, sadly haven't been getting out in it much lately. How old are the kids? perhaps go sit in one for a while first. They aren't as big in the back as they should be, but younger kids can cope, and broken in by teen years so it's possible.

I have a Tdi here I was planning on turning into a world traveller, time and money are the problem. But do feel a simple Tdi makes for a better global truck. I have mates though that are over the continue maintenance of a Tdi where as mine is basically nothing. Could just be younger however. The Tdci is good and who really knows, but when things do eventually fail and it's on the electric sensor side one may be Censored for quite some time pending where it happens. Extra water traps and dirty fuel sirens are one thing, diagnostic tools and a collection of spare sensors worth a small fortune in another; but if LR can't fault find an electrical issues without replacing lots of components than I'm not brimming with confidence. Still it's been a sound truck after that, and that was early in the piece.

UK to NZ via Aus. You and the boys will have an awesome time regardless of what you do it in. Just don't rush it. It will probably only happen once, will cost a lot, so make it worth it. The freedom of travel is very precious, and doesn't come by as often as we like. One life live it I try and live by, but a bit hard getting bogged down in the city though. My Defender and travels
Post #458249 26th Sep 2015 8:43pm
Guy

United Kingdom 
Thanks mate! The boys are still little, Jack is 3 next month and Tom is just 6 months. I am 6ft3 and my wife is 5ft 10, so we reckon the boys will be tall, but not for another 10 years or so.

Good advice about trying one out though. The crazy thing is that Puma prices here aren't a million miles off the price of a good 300Tdi or TD5. I think people fear electrical gremlins in the TDci range. As you say, time will tell.

Well done to you for getting out there, Australia looks truly beautiful! 
DINGO - '99 Discovery 2 V8 with 300Tdi transplant, chawton white. Repatriated from Australia and expedition prepped.
**FOR SALE**
SHARKY - '06 Discovery 3 HSE Auto, bonatti grey. SOLD.
GEORGE - '99 Discovery 1 300Tdi Auto, willow green. Daily driver, travel companion, part of the family! SOLD.
PINGU - '96 Defender 110 300Tdi station wagon. SOLD.

Dream LR - 130 pop top station wagon camper.
Post #458279 26th Sep 2015 10:49pm
Enid_Puceflange

Scotland 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Baltic Blue
I love coming back here for a read & the pictures

Truly inspirational! Bow down

Thanks for the hard work & write up My confidence has been writing cheques that my abilities can't cash for years.
Post #466968 27th Oct 2015 12:48pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Great thread. Lovely set up 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #467172 28th Oct 2015 1:28am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>