↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Safety first?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Crafty1980

United Kingdom 
Safety first?
So... Big day today... Years of saving and I've finally put my order in for a new 90! Arrives in October which seems like decades away. But hey, at least it gives me weeks to write a shopping list of stuff I want to bolt onto it in the coming years! Smile

First of all, safety... I'm not planning on doing too many extreme things, but will definitely be off roading it (obviously) so think I will need a roll cage... Of some description!

I've been looking about... Seems that the basic options are half/full cage... Internal/external/both... Some certified, some not. (Guess that refers to competition spec stuff?)

Any advice greatly received!

...or maybe I shouldn't bother?!? I just feel that it would be a good idea seeing how basic and flimsy the defender superstructure is!
Post #349780 5th Aug 2014 10:01pm
Jonno1968

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Ooooo lots might disagree but....if your landy is brand new are you really going to be doing stuff that needs a roll cage??!! When i went to a 60 plate instead of a 55 plate one of my "frustrations" was that i was terrified of scratching it...let alone rolling it! I would recommend going on a driving course entitled " getting to know my 4x4" or something similar and then judge if you will have the bottle to go so extrme that you might roll it!

Also...and more to the point ....they look fxxxing ugly on such a beautiful car! Its like taking a porsche 911 and sticking a roof rack on it or towing a caravan with it!!!
Post #349783 5th Aug 2014 10:07pm
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Don't be daft the best factory defender ever has a roll cage the 50th and so did the tomb raider.

The best current and approved roll cage is the one by bowler. This used on the bowler Motorsport defender. Really good kit if you can afford it.
Post #349792 5th Aug 2014 10:34pm
Jonno1968

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Tomraider looks chavvy to me. Each to thier own!
Post #349794 5th Aug 2014 10:40pm
Dale

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 110 Td5 Tomb Raider LE Bonatti Grey
Guess that makes me a chav then! Whistle

Technically the Tombraider doesn't have a roll cage, but a roof rack retention system! It doesn't bolt through to chassis so won't offer same level of protection as a proper roll cage.
Post #349821 5th Aug 2014 11:45pm
ken

United Kingdom 
I'm a Chav I have a 50th (looking for a TR) Thumbs Up
Post #349836 6th Aug 2014 7:05am
RobKeay

I used to have a 110 TR. Used to spend most of my evenings at maccies wheel spinning on trays.
Post #349842 6th Aug 2014 7:30am
jerseyman

RobKeay wrote:
Don't be daft the best factory defender ever has a roll cage the 50th and so did the tomb raider.

[Pedant Mode] the TR "roll cage" is in fact a screen protection bar, not a roll cage [/Pedant mode]

Brian
Post #349878 6th Aug 2014 10:01am
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
If you feel like you need a roll cage fit one.
A defender superstucture or everything above the chassis is not even waterproof let alone rollproof.

I never rolled a 4x4 myselves yet but a few times allmost. My Camel Discovery had a safety devices rollcage. My current offroad toy a td5 90 didn't have and I serious play with it:

Click image to enlarge

And Yes I think there might be a chanche that I will roll it so I am building a rollcage now. This is a flat pack North Offroad rollcage but I will make small design changes. Twisted Evil

Click image to enlarge
 Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #349891 6th Aug 2014 10:42am
RobKeay

It wasn't officially a roll but it did bolt onto the chassis. I used to put a fair weight on the roof rack as well. Wish I hadn't sold it now. Brought a new one with electric windows and TC oh well live and learn.
Post #349897 6th Aug 2014 11:35am
Crafty1980

United Kingdom 
Saw this today. Only reinforces my feelings about a cage!!

http://www.lro.com/news-reviews/2014/9/tha...der-rolls/
Post #356829 9th Sep 2014 7:58pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I know all those involved and Steve( the driver ) is a mate. Yes whilst the result does look a mess the main reason that the roof has peeled off was due to the roof tent and other odd storage boxes he had fitted to his roofrack plus him kicking the roof out further to get him and Munch out.

Click image to enlarge

When it was uprighted it was given a few minutes then started and drove by itself to the waiting trailer

Click image to enlarge

With the rest of the roof detached from the vehicle it wasn't as flat as you may think and the following is of it being driven off the trailer when it got to some secure storage.

Click image to enlarge

Personally, whilst yes a cage can be a life saver, I am more concerned about peoples driving abilities when it comes to the crunch plus the airborne missile factor of the loose objects that come to join in the mayhem of a crash.

What isn't too well known is that the car that was following was his wife being towed by the 90 with a rigid pole. Poor Leslie had to just sit there and watch the 90 with her husband and 18 month old son flip over in front of her. It was only a month ago they were all three in the 90 doing a round trip to Croatia and back.
Post #356845 9th Sep 2014 8:41pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
I just wonder what they were doing/ what went wrong to roll a Defender whist travelling in convoy on a Tarmac road.

Brendan
Post #356846 9th Sep 2014 8:46pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
After speaking to Steve, the reason may be the fact that the Freelander was being towed on a rigid pole and that stretch of road is a bit of a pig at the best of times, a long downhill with a slight left hander as you go down it and it has got a pig of a camber on it. It can give you a bit of a warning shot if you go down it a bit fast in a 7½ tonner, he felt it lose it a bit on the back end, perhaps the Freelander continued to push as he eased off on the throttle, next thing he knew was seeing the world at a completely different angle.
Post #356857 9th Sep 2014 8:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1