↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Mechanic willing to travel to sunnier climes for few days!?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RichieRich

2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Mechanic willing to travel to sunnier climes for few days!?
Hello, to cut a very long story short please read through the thread at the end of this post for original symptoms for a non starting 2007 Land Rover Defender 110, Puma TDCi and the work Ian did on the Land Rover when over on Boa Vista.

Ian from IRB developments (and a member of this forum) did a great job putting right what previous mechanics had botched over here on Boa Vista when working on our Land Rover "Bubba"! After doing all his work Ian took the ECU back to the Uk with him, re-programmed it and sent it back over to us. It should have been a case of plugging it in and hey presto Bubba would be back on the road! But alas it was not to be and Bubba is still sick, off the road (over 1.5 years in total now!!!) will crank over but still not start. Ian reckons it's an electrical issue now causing the non start!?

So is there any mechanics (preferably with auto electrical and diagnostic skills) who would be willing to be flown over to Boa Vista, Cape Verde islands, put up in our house on the beach will all expenses paid (food and beer!) to have another pop at Bubba????

If you're interested (and have the experience!!!!) please PM me so we can swap email addresses and start some communication going!

If anybody knows anybody who has the experience and fits the bill but not a member of this forum please feel free to pass on my offer of an all expenses paid trip to a desert island to try and fix our Bubba!!!

Really miss our Bubba!! Crying or Very sad

Fingers crossed there's someone out there who can help us out as Ian's to busy to come over any time soon.

Couple of important points, you can't be allergic to cats or dogs, not mind living in same house with a 6 year old boy, be willing to work outdoors whilst getting a tan (plenty if sun cream will be required!!) love the sound of waves crashing off the beach and enjoy spending down time in beach bars!!

Thanks in advance

Richard

http://www.defender2.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=260026#260026
Post #355495 3rd Sep 2014 10:47pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I'd be very happy to come and have a look.
I can re-wire a house but know very little about auto electrics Very Happy

joking aside and not knowing what Ian has already looked at (if anything in terms of electrics....did he just do the mech stuff?).

from my 3 1/2 years of problems it turned out to be something very simple and quite often this is the case....people get all tie up with the more complex items that are deemed most likely to cause a fault with the simple stuff over looked.

assuming the alarm / immobiliser has been confirmed as not causing a problem I'd double check wiring connections etc.....

from the level of 'expertise' you seem to have locally has someone in there wisdom used silicon spray and not contact cleaner to give all the electrical connections a REALLY good clean?

good luck ...... and if you need someone to stick their head under your bonnet just for them to scratch their head, drink some beer, scratch their head and drink some more beer please let me know - my passport is still valid. Thumbs Up
Post #355823 5th Sep 2014 9:38am
Anderzander

United Kingdom 
The most obvious question would be when you connected the ECU in did you connect that little earth cable in the seat box ? That will stop is firing. You can rule it out by running a piece of wire from it straight to the battery negative. Got to be worth a go ?
Post #355826 5th Sep 2014 9:49am
Cold_n_Wet

Norway 
Hmmm very tempted but unfortunately Mrs CnW says no.... Big Cry Big Cry "Rafiki" 2007 110 STW - Rolling rebuild.
Post #355850 5th Sep 2014 11:06am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Just trying to help here so please forgot me.......

First few things I'd check which if I can do anyone can

Clean / electrical connections
Immobiliser
AND crank position sensor which I believe is one of the critical items to start engine (not sure what they cost but if it were me I'd probably replace as a matter of course as I don't think they're much).

Good luck
Post #355931 5th Sep 2014 7:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1