↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Load space drawer?! Is DIY the way to go or not?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Crafty1980

United Kingdom 
Load space drawer?! Is DIY the way to go or not?
I'd like to put in a rear load space drawer in my 90 so that i can then make a flat surface between the side benches.

A quick google search offers me lots of example of such a thing. Some DIY, various commercial options too, but at what seems to be an extortionate price!

Q: Are the designed/ready built ones the way to go or should I look at a DIY job? It can't be that hard to get a couple of heavy duty drawer runners, some aluminium angle and light weight/strong board to construct it all can it?

I like to think that I'm pretty nifty with such things! I guess materials could well set me back a couple of hundred quid perhaps, but i feel a little anti paying upwards of 500-600 for a prebuilt one!

Ben
Post #354077 27th Aug 2014 10:50pm
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
I went DIY as I couldn't find what I wanted at a cost I wanted to pay.

Having said that, I think my drawers cost more than I thought..!

Build thread here... http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic22453.html

Cheers

Simon
Post #354079 27th Aug 2014 10:53pm
TACK

I did both. Depending on your skill set and guessing if you were a fabricator you probably would not have asked the question, I would buy a commercial one.

Depends what you can afford, timber is cheap. But look on the forums, gumtree and ebay and you will probably find one after a month at half the price. 'My opinion anyway'.

When your done with it, they always sell and I doubt you will lose money. I have brought several and sold them on at no loss. I have only brought the mobile storage solutions ones, so this is what my opinion is based on. They are fairly bullet proof and I believe the draws are 100kg rated.

Thumbs Up
Post #354115 28th Aug 2014 7:29am
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
I have just started planning to build as set of drawers for the back of the 110. So far I am at two drawers and a compartment for two batteries to go behind the back seats.
I am thinking 10mm for the top level with the wheel arches and then an 18mm sheets across the top probably bolted through the tops of the wheel arches and then a couple through the sides.
Still in the planning stages at the mo. 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #354121 28th Aug 2014 8:07am
Jimb1978

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
I built one, but I enjoy making things. If it is just to save a few quid then it probably isn't worth it. Don't underestimate the cost of heavy duty drawer runners, especially if you want them rated to 100kg +.

As for fixing it to the vehicle, you could consider pegging it from the outside. You could pop rivet a plate with a captive nut to the inner arch and screw in a bolt through a pre drilled hole in the side of the drawer unit. I didn't do this. I bolted through the unit which needed two people to install it. Also, it was very time consuming to unbolt the drawer from the runners in order to gain access to the inside of the carcass. 2002 110 td5
Post #354126 28th Aug 2014 8:25am
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
I have a couple of server rails that I will be using for the job, and will be doing two drawers. 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #354151 28th Aug 2014 10:23am
Crafty1980

United Kingdom 
Thanks for all the replies so far...

I'm certainly no fabricator, but I have enough skills (and tools) in order to make a wooden box version... The only thing that concerns me about wood is (as many people have said before) the weight of them...

Bearing in mind that I only want a single height drawer system that's the same height as the wheel arches, therefore creating a flat load space all across the top, is there even an issue for weight?

Are the commercially made ones simple made out of wood too, or are they made from high strength/lightweight sheet material (aluminium, honeycomb board, etc)...?
Post #354204 28th Aug 2014 3:21pm
LiftedDisco

Search on e-Bay for 'Army Blanket Box'

These are the perfect size to fit between the rear wheel arches, have a fold up lid and simply need bolting to some heavy duty, fully extending, runners.

The fully extending bit is important, otherwise your storage will move slightly but still be out of reach - server rails are perfect or B&Q do some fairly heavy duty rails at around £25 for the pair.

Hope this helps...
Post #354206 28th Aug 2014 3:47pm
LiftedDisco

Right...

Just done a search and they don't seem to be coming up...

Not sure where you are, but suggest you wander down to the Newbury Sort Out on 5th October (there is a similar event in Skipton in September if you are northern based...) where I suspect there will be loads of boxes on offer...

EDIT...

Found one!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-rover-defen...33944ca161
Post #354207 28th Aug 2014 4:00pm
URBAN TRUCK

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
We can do a bespoke install including the Drawer and a factory style carpet or rubber matting from £899.

Like the attached pic

Regards

Click image to enlarge
Post #354209 28th Aug 2014 4:25pm
Defender-Stu

United Kingdom 
Just a little quick put together i did:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

But now seeing the build thread above im going back to the build stage i think lol Whistle
Post #354210 28th Aug 2014 4:25pm
VeeTee

Netherlands 
I made a flat load space above the wheel arches, and a drawer for 4 Euroboxes under it. I made the load space and side walls from 12 mm multiplex. It is very sturdy - and also very heavy.

Click image to enlarge

Next time - version 2 - I would create a a lightweight version building a aluminium frame and 8 mm multiplex for the load bed, like decrtibed here: Martin from Landreiziger.nl was so kind to publish this build description on his site (He also builds this commercially on request - I 'm not linked, I only hear good reviews of his work Wink ) Cheers, Vincent
1959 Polynorm 1/4 Ton Trailer, Olive Drab Green (sold)
1970 M416 Military Trailer (Camping Trailer Conversion), Epsom Green (sold)
1975 Series III 88 V6, Light Green (sadly sold)
1996 Defender 110 CSW 300 Tdi, Epsom Green (sold)
2000 Freelander 1 TD4 3-drs, Silver (sold)
2006 Freelander 1 TD4 5-drs Facelift Automatic, Tonga Green (sold)

MySite
Post #354216 28th Aug 2014 5:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1