↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Mamba bucket seats
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
uncas

United Kingdom 
Mamba bucket seats
I've bought a pair of Mamba bucket seats to fit in my 90 unfortunately they didn't come with a sub frame or any sliders. Does anyone know of a kit that I can buy in order to fit the seats alternatively it will mean making something up. I've also got two four point harnesses to fit. I know some people don't like harnesses my wife included but I do I had them in my Dakar which I ran as an every day car for 3 years they can be a little restrictive in some situations but I can work around that

Uncas
Post #352866 21st Aug 2014 11:54am
taazzukcb

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Easiest is to make some up. I looked around for a while for my old 90 and nothing really turned up. Not that was A) Available or B) Cost effective!

With a bit of ingenuity you could make a smart set-up very easily!

In terms of the harnesses ... I love the look and use of Harnesses. I have a 6-Points sat in the shed.

However I soon came to the decision that fitting them with no roll cage is a MAJOR risk in my opinion. The 'roll over strength' of a Defender is almost as good as trying to save yourself with mashed potato.

In the event of a roll over with no cage, the only chance of not loosing your head or doing some major damage to yourself is to dive for the floor or hope you almost fall sideways.

Buckets + Harnesses will hold you rigid. That's the point (they'd be bad quality or badly fitted if they didn't). But then you'll have a few seconds of watching to roof cave in towards you before it's most likely lights out.

If you have a roll cage / bar, then carry on and ignore me Wink. Just trying to watch out for a fellow Landy owner.
Post #352917 21st Aug 2014 4:10pm
uncas

United Kingdom 
Have you ever tried to get out of an inertia reel seat belt whilst the vehicle is laying on its side. I've rolled two motors and am not planning on putting another one on either it's side or roof the other incidents weren't planned either once on a pay to play site and the last one on the M1 my wife told everyone that she was training to be a stunt woman.
Post #352922 21st Aug 2014 4:27pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Which is exactly why you should have a glass hammer/belt cutter within reach Smile

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale
Post #352926 21st Aug 2014 4:38pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
If you're going to have that sort of thing within reach, can I suggest the ResQMe.
I've tested the glass breaker and the seatbelt cutter on that and other similar tools (plus various "rescue" knives, normal plain edged and serrated knives) and the ResQMe was by far the quickest and easiest to use.
Post #352927 21st Aug 2014 4:44pm
uncas

United Kingdom 
I do but in the first instance I needed to drive the Landcruiser home from Weardale the Disco was a we bit more damaged and was transported home cutting the belt means that you can't legally drive the vehicle on a public highway.
Post #352934 21st Aug 2014 4:56pm
taazzukcb

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Uncas, I have indeed been in similar instances with both an Inertia and 6-Point. The latter being a marshalled event with full internal cage mind.

But with 'normal' vehicles, they have at least some roll over protection built into the fame. The point I was making is that even just a gentle roll onto the roof of a Defender can flatten the pillars and roof completely down. They have no built in protection in the slightest!

I know you dont plan to, neither do I.

In most other cars I'd agree about the Harnesses quite happily. It's just the Defender is a completely different ball game. And gentle roll will crush the roof down flat as it's can't take it's own weight. That's where I'd much prefer the ability to move or fall sideways.

There was a video on here recently showing just how weak the roof is, but that also had a roof rack taking some of the blow. There's some pics around showing simple roll overs where the roof was brought down to the same height as the bottom of the side windows. In a harness, you'd of been toast. That or 2 foot shorter!

Purley objective this is mind, so please don't take anything to heart.

It just worries me people using them in 'Fenders with no roll-over protection. Even with all the best intentions!
Post #352942 21st Aug 2014 5:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1