↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > making a job of it
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
You missed the bit about it collecting in the tread of your tyres when mixed with snow! Yes, I know all that, I've had a gravel driveway before. But no driveway is the ideal - each has advantages and disadvantages. It's just that, on balance, I believe it is the best. Block brick paviours always seem to sink (and god help you if you need to get it up), tarmac goes grey and lumpy, impatterned loses its sheen & colour, stones get tramlines, resin bonded is expensive, etc. No one has come up with the perfect driveway yet, and I doubt they will. A core-grid-gravel drive is something literally anyone can do themselves. It's quick, it's relatively cheap, you can drive on it immediately, it doesn't need cleaning, you can get underneath it if you have to, and it looks great (if you choose the right gravel, not the boring grey my neighbours have!). Now left.
Post #349867 6th Aug 2014 8:49am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Block paving can be lifted, and replaced easily. You can even just turn the block, if you happen to leak a little oil.
Whistle Whistle Whistle Whistle Whistle Whistle
Post #349870 6th Aug 2014 9:03am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
I beg to differ. Isn't the sand supposed to lock in the blocks? http://www.northwestpavingrepair.co.uk/pavingrepair/?page_id=31 Surely, if you can lift them that easily, then they haven't been laid right? Not only that, but aren't you supposed to seal them with resin? http://www.pavingexpert.com/refurb_07.htm Just saying, I'm a plumber, not a builder. Now left.
Post #349879 6th Aug 2014 10:10am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
You use silver sand for between the blocks, and you can seal them but it doesn't stop them being lifted. The amount of silver sand which is only a used as a gap filler won't effect relaying or lifting. The sealer is only there like a sealer on a grouted floor. They are designed as a base that can except movement, and are retained by a solid edging.
Post #350011 6th Aug 2014 9:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12