↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > My Camel, the ol Tdci 130
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
newhue

Australia 
Tdci air intake-snorkle
With a looming trip to Cape York I took to opportunity to sort out the Tdci’s snorkel set up. IMO on one hand LR have nailed the design with the head unit. As it suck air from under and behind the unit, with the actual air intake raised 20mm above the entry points. So there is no gaping mouth to swallow bugs, leaves, or rain. And as for ramming air, well they can ram the marketing where it fits as well.

On the other hand LR failed miserably. Perhaps for another $1 they could have made a proper snorkel instead of a raised air intake. Read on and see why.

Wayne from Nugget Stiff makes these fully sealed and easy to install replacement mouldings for Tdci. Pretty simple bit of kit, and worth 100 time more it’s cost compared to engine repairs.

Before I went this route I siliconed up the 3 joins on the OE piping which runs from the guard to the the air box. Trouble with that was I was still not 100% sure I had done the job properly.
You can see OE outer guard seal has failed on the lower side to start with.

This is what the inner pipe work looks like. The joints are just pushed together and are quite flimsy. No wonder LR wont say it a snorkel.

The pic hasn’t shown it, this is the joint in the above pic. To my best efforts the silicone hasn’t sealed the joint well enough. Dust has made it way from outside the joint so water sure can as well.

The next fail point is a 5mm slot in the bottom of the air box.

Again you can see my best efforts I would have failed on a decent water crossing.

So here is the new bit of kit. A 100mm tube that clamps onto two solid points securely sealed with silicone. The box on the right is a two piece mounted unit glued and screwed together. The OE pipe you see is at its widest. When you turn it the other way it’s only 35 to 40mm wide. Bit like a straw V a fire hose.

This drain valve hadn’t seemed to be doing anything, there was dust under where sit should be sealing when the motor starts sucking. I feel if the head unit is of good design then no water of any threat will enter the system.

This is the end that fits into the air box mouth. Cleverly offset to miss the alternator.

The Wing box is a solid bit of kit. Comes with screws and blind holes to screw into. All I had to do was add the silicon and screw it in place.

I also siliconed the outer air intake so it would not leak from the underside again.

Tighten the last few bolts and job done. A completely water tight system with one air entry point which is shielded from foreign matter and water to enter.

Oh lastly. there is duck bill drain the the actual air box. Some trust them them, some don’t, I siliconed mine while I was changing the filter.

Nugget Stuff http://www.nuggetstuff.com/defenderairbox.html[url] My Defender and travels

Last edited by newhue on 2nd Aug 2014 12:58pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #348945 2nd Aug 2014 10:21am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dgardel

Italy 
Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

I'm crying!!!!!!

Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #348970 2nd Aug 2014 12:23pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Natlas

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Excellent posts and pics Newhue Thumbs Up 2.2 90 XS
88" Series One
Old Norton Smile
Minerva
Post #351058 11th Aug 2014 7:11pm
newhue

Australia 
opps, double post My Defender and travels

Last edited by newhue on 26th Aug 2014 4:07am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #351083 11th Aug 2014 8:34pm
newhue

Australia 
oops, triple post. My Defender and travels

Last edited by newhue on 26th Aug 2014 4:09am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #353675 26th Aug 2014 4:01am
newhue

Australia 
Well today my worst fears started to emerge. After spending so much time on building and using this truck, will it's days be over. In the hands of the assessors, I am torn in several directions on what I'd like to see happen. Has both chassis rails bent where it sweeps up to the rear suspension, plus where tow bar mounts, and rear member. Canopy is cracked a bit, and drivers seat could do with replacing. Censored , Censored , Censored .
I was stopped waiting to turn, the young fella in the merc was looking out the window and cleaned me up at 60km/h. Bit of a pain to say the least. My trip to Moreton Island in 3 weeks looks doubtful.

Click image to enlarge

My Defender and travels
Post #353676 26th Aug 2014 4:03am
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Big Cry it's a pain when someone just runs into you while not paying attention. It looks pretty central so I don't think it will be too bad repair wise. Good luck with the outcome.

Ray
Post #353679 26th Aug 2014 6:52am
Fabio

Portugal 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
That is bad...
The merc looks in a bit of a state Shocked
Post #353757 26th Aug 2014 2:41pm
110SEB

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Defo get the old girl repaired.

Eat that Merc!
Post #353872 26th Aug 2014 9:36pm
newhue

Australia 
Some clarity at last there was talk of repair, wright off, repairable wright off, Land Rovers view of chassis integrity, repair, and life time warranty. For what it's worth I chucked in several times I like to use the truck at GVM weight off road, and hope its the last car I buy. Eventually repair came out as the winner, which suits me fine if the people in the know say so.
A new chassis would have been nice, however I am told they would have written it off it that were the case, just too expansive to do so.

Now the race is on to repair it before the next holiday. Can only hope a rear cross member can be found in Australia. My Defender and travels
Post #354112 28th Aug 2014 6:52am
Maml

South Africa 
That s Crying or Very sad cks - so sorry to see that!

Hope they find a replacement in good time!...Or at least for it to be driveable before then.
Post #354133 28th Aug 2014 9:08am
newhue

Australia 
Thanks for the well wishes folks. I am lucky the car still drives fine, and it's sort of minor. However the accessor suggested given it has a bent chassis and a sizeable repair bill, if the damage were to be compounded somehow, or involved in another accident or harm a person than a unpredictable can of worms may be opened.
So instead I have this Mazda 2x4 ute. It's a new hire car but they are such a pile of junk. Rides like a billy cart, have no idea where the front of the car is past the halfway point of the bonnet. Huge goofy side mirror blinds the corner where you want to turn into. Look forward to giving t back really. My Defender and travels
Post #354160 28th Aug 2014 10:47am
surf110

Brazil 2009 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Fuji White
Re: My Camel, the ol Tdci 130
Great 130!

Could you share some more info and part numbers for the taller springs?

Cheers.

[quote]
Also added some taller springs, but at the same compression rate as standard. This allowed the vehicle to sit at brand new empty height, but when it was loaded for expedition; and keep that classic landy ride. The springs were 1.5” taller in the front, and 1” in rear. [/quote]
Post #358129 16th Sep 2014 6:55am
newhue

Australia 
Thanks, sure.

Google Les Richmond Autos, I'm sure if you email them Andrew can get something organised if you like.

here is the page you most likely need. I went with Purple (Range Rover rears) in the front, and had the Orange-Green custom wound to 18". And I still run the standard inner springs. I believe they also do progressive springs, but each to their own.
http://www.lrautomotive.com.au/contents/en-us/d665.html

This chart may be helpful also

Click image to enlarge
 My Defender and travels
Post #358138 16th Sep 2014 7:44am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
How's the repair of the rear end going?
Post #358304 16th Sep 2014 9:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 6 <123456>