↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Rust...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Jonno

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
Rust...
Just been out to give the May 2011 90 a quick wash and wax and noticed what looks like that start of rust blisters on totally undamaged paint. This is on the passenger door and tailgate. Nothing much yet, but it can't be anything but rust causing raised vein like blisters.

If it is indeed rust, I'm disappointed as there is no paint damage, chips etc at all, so the steel was likely rusty before being painted. Evil or Very Mad [b]

I'll probably just keep and eye on it, but it will need a panel respray to fix I suspect. Big Cry

Jonno
Post #348858 1st Aug 2014 7:29pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Even if you're not under warranty, there is a 6 year corrosion guarantee which should cover that Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #348909 1st Aug 2014 11:39pm
newhue

Australia 
That's disappointing and a bit worrying. You'll have to attack it from the inside more so than the out unfortunately.

I pulled all my door trims off and poked in 3M cavity wax where ever I could. Pulled the weather seals off the doors windows and squirted it along there. A, B pillars, and under the front screen through the rubber plugs for alternate wipers. Used a 5mm x 400mm silicon hose and a squirt bottle. Bit messy but the connection between the hose and gun works enough to get the product into the tight crevasses. Silicon squashes enough to creat a seal. Otherwise I just used the squirt bottle on jet or just off jet. Draw back is it does smell for a while, up side it seeps everywhere and appears to be what LR use initially.

Still a bit poor in your case. I have mates who have had rust removed on <2 year old pumas, so your not alone. My Defender and travels
Post #348912 2nd Aug 2014 12:40am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sswalker

Australia 
Jonno,

Did you have a photograph of the rust location.

Thanks

Simon Simon
Post #348916 2nd Aug 2014 2:08am
Jonno

It is very minor at the moment, but I'll try to get a photo. I'm pretty sure its not rusted from the back, it looks like rust on the surface under the paint.

Reading the warranty info it suggests that there is a 3 year paint warranty and 6 year anti perforation warranty. So I suspect a claim will be challenging especially as serviced outside the landrover network.

The vehicle was extensively rustproofed from new with Dinitrol and all other areas are like new. Makng me think this was a defect under the paint.

As mentioned before I'm totally convinced this has not worked its way from the back of the steel, it looks like poor surface prep before painting.

The bumper, mudflap brackets and grill lower mesh were all swapped under warranty as the paint was coming off in sheets.

There is also a blister that has burst under the windscreen rubber on the alloy frame, ive just dinitrolled that to stabilise it as LR have already looked at that and declined a repair as not rusted through from the inside....

I dread to think what a state this car would be in generally if it hadn't been rustproofed. ....

All quite disappointing really and all suggesting very poor prep before painting. Rust on the surface of an undamaged panel is almost unheard of these days.

Jonno
Post #348929 2nd Aug 2014 9:13am
dnorrishill

England 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
I thought the newer steel doors were galvanised??
Post #348966 2nd Aug 2014 12:05pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
They are I think* (He says carefully!)
I think the OP meant the Alu door skin.
Post #348978 2nd Aug 2014 1:08pm
Juhulia

2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
davidwhittaker wrote:
Even if you're not under warranty, there is a 6 year corrosion guarantee which should cover that

I suppose the corrosion guarantee does not cover superficial corrosion, does it?
Post #349062 2nd Aug 2014 7:53pm
Jonno

custom90steve wrote:
They are I think* (He says carefully!)
I think the OP meant the Alu door skin.

I believe the bonnet, doors and rear door are electro plated steel like zintec. Not tbe hot dip galvanising we are used to seeing on accessories.

My previous car a Audi S3 had bubbling rust from around the door trim strips at less than 3 years old so quite a widespread issue.

This is nothing like the massive rusting on the bumper, headlamp surrounds bumper brackets and grill corrosion though.

Jonno
Post #349102 2nd Aug 2014 11:14pm
newhue

Australia 
It may seem a little over the top. But if Bill the usual sprayer was off sick, and Tony who filled in was under stress and not focusing because his child was being bullied at school. And Pete who is learning the ropes were all in the spray department when yours went through, is it your fault the body work was not prepped correctly before painting. LR may well think the same thing.
However your truck unfortunately has some history to prove poor panel preparation, and continues to show effect if that is the reason. As big a pain as it is, maybe see where you go asking for a respray. That would mean a strip first, but panel and paint shops do it all the time. My Defender and travels
Post #349107 2nd Aug 2014 11:31pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
strang

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Juhulia wrote:
davidwhittaker wrote:
Even if you're not under warranty, there is a 6 year corrosion guarantee which should cover that

I suppose the corrosion guarantee does not cover superficial corrosion, does it?

My dealer told me that after the three year warranty is up, the corrosion warranty only covers perforation...... Euro-Leafing to infinity and beyond.....
Post #349200 3rd Aug 2014 12:36pm
Cuthbert

Warranty is one thing - basic fitness for purpose and consumer legislation in the UK now means you cannot be fobbed off by some junior oik in the after-sales department.

Have a chat with your local consumer advice dept at the council. You could also consider raising a small claims action at court?

Too many folk in the UK just accept that when a product (not just a vehicle) is out of warranty and goes wrong - you just have to take a hit.
Post #349342 3rd Aug 2014 10:11pm
Morepower

New Zealand 
Can you post a picture as i think my 13my rear passenger door maybe doing the same..

Cheers Tim It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
2016 Bowler 90 Rally Spec (Sold)
Post #349746 5th Aug 2014 8:59pm
Jonno

I'm away from home at the minute, so don't have access for a photo.

But mine is just a raised "vein" of paint it looks like water is underneath.

I'd say if under 3 years old get it back to the dealer and let them sort it.

Mines 3 years 3 months so only has the 6 year anti perforation warranty now.

Jonno
Post #351093 11th Aug 2014 9:13pm
cozz

mine is 15 months old, got a blister on near side screen surround, not from a stone chip - paint isnt broken, just bubbling up

will have to pop to dealers sometime I guess
Post #351117 11th Aug 2014 9:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>