↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > low rolling resistance tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
low rolling resistance tyres
Sorry not defender related but has anyone got any experience of fuel saving tyres? Thinking they could be an option for the jimny being as 99% of what it does is either on road or if it is off road you could cover the same terrain with an aygo without trying, so saving some petrol with appropriate tyres seems logical. Am I right in thinking that to be economic they're a super hard compound so last indefinitely but at the same time have the grip characteristics of a greased eel, or has the technology improved from that? Cheers. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #348446 30th Jul 2014 9:05pm
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
How much fuel would you save and would the savings pay for the tyres? Is it worth it ?
Maybe worth it if the tyres need replacing and you do high miles? 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #348470 30th Jul 2014 9:53pm
muddybaldboy

Wales 1999 Defender 110 Td5 HT Chawton White
I'm sure a few years back Michelin were marketing a tyre specifically as being more fuel efficient Question He who dies with the most toys...wins!
Post #348480 30th Jul 2014 10:20pm
lambert.the.farmer

Sorry I forgot I had posted this here. Yeah the front tyres are in need of replacing and the backs ain't far behind them so now is the time. As to milage 30k in 4 and a half years so not excessively high. I don't know what I could expect to save over the factory duelers in terms of less fuel as they are pretty mild to start with not like replacing simexes or the like. I will have to see what my tyre guy says re cost effectiveness. Cheers for the input. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #348805 1st Aug 2014 3:48pm
adamatdraycott

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Being an ex Jimny owner I'd only recommend general grabbers either the AT or the AT2

Although they aren't economical fuel wise you are limited as to what you will achieve out of the 1.3 anyway.
I only ever managed 37mpg once and averaged about 32... Similar to what my brother gets now.

Proper AT tyres transform the Jimny offroad and you may even choose the Jimny over the Landy in the snow!
The Jimny wheel size and width is a little odd so you may find upping the size from 205/70/15 to 205/75/15

BigJimny forum is a great source of info
Post #352599 19th Aug 2014 8:47pm
lambert.the.farmer

I don't really get some of the attitude of some of the people on big jimny and they are more into modified parts than I am and they seemingly have difficulty with why I don't want 7 inches of lift and 6 winches. Not for me.

As to all terrain tyres I currently have a pair of cheap all terrain on the back and tbh it copes better on grass in 2wd than in 4x4, would 4 the same really make that much difference, or would any difference come simply because the tyres are new regardless of pattern?

As to which I choose I'd like to combine the two cars but as I can't I'm left with using each for it's own strengths at any particular job. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #352636 20th Aug 2014 5:13am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1