↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > BAS remap
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
SkyFallSilver

Kuwait 
Had gotten it done 6 months back, no regrets best thing that I have done to my Defender. 2016 Defender 90 Adventure Edition
Post #338641 17th Jun 2014 6:13am
mees

Netherlands 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Is it advisable to put also a bigger intercooler to lower the egt temperature?
Or is it save to run this remap without any modifications, such as decat pipe and /or bigger intercooler
Post #339029 18th Jun 2014 7:55pm
munch90

England 
bigger intercooler cools inlet air to engine not exhaust gas temp
Post #339033 18th Jun 2014 7:59pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
It's safe to run alone but a bigger intercooler makes a significant improvement - cooler inlet air and less restriction Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #339040 18th Jun 2014 8:12pm
mees

I'm not looking for more power, but want to avoid a warped turbo or exhaust manifold.
Post #339045 18th Jun 2014 8:19pm
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Hi

As we have spoken about in email previousley, the turbo warping and gasket on the Puma as the forum has seen many many times on standard and tuned cars alike is not an uncommon problem and is well documented as a known problem.
Turbo Technics who supply my turbos and also do all remanafacturing or Landrover are seeing hundreds of turbos with the same problem that Landrover send in for reconditioning.

AndrewS was one of the first from memory who found the problem and cure alike, on from that people started selling thicker special made turbo gaskets to try and battle the ongoing problem. One of the site sponsors Brendan stocks them as its such a common problem http://4x4overlander.com/nakatenanga-turbo-manifold-gasket.html

As for the air intake on the puma its well knows and advised that air intake restrictions not only can in some cases cause lack of power they also can contribute towards a higher egt and so a free flowing air intake and intercooler can help with this battle of heat especially on tuned cars that are driven hard and fast.

Most cars are perfectly fine tuned without any modifications depending on the use and application the car is used under, however some cars and owners do find that the use they are getting an intercooler and or a mixture of a slightly detuned remap is whats needed to keep the temps down a littlle.

Recently with Allisport we have worked on a new more Puma related and dedicated intercooler that is more efficent than anything else on the market at the moment which works well to help keep intake temps down and inturn helps with air flow etc etc.

https://secure.bellautoservices.co.uk/stor...?menuid=44

Their is also that the turbos are also prone to sticking internally and on the linkage which makes them work hard and generate to much heat, this its self can also cause warping.
The landrover document number for the related to the sticking linkage is LTB00393 dated29 JUN 2011, This can happen if the car is used on short runs or parked up for periodsnot used.

CONDITION SUMMARY:
Situation: A customer may report a concern of restricted engine performance and or a Check Engine Lamp displayed in the Instrument Pack. Following diagnosis trouble codes (DTCs) P0234 or P0299 may be stored in the Powertrain Control Module. If the turbocharger actuator arm movement appears to be restricted due to corrosion of the actuator rod and pins a repair kit is now available.

Cause: Turbo actuator arm corrosion may cause restricted movement of actuator arm travel. Suggested Customer Concern Code - D42.

Action: Should a customer express concern, follow the Service Instruction outlined below.
PARTS:
LR019905

Actuator arm Quantity: 1 LR029042

Grease Quantity: 1

Regards Pete
Post #339063 18th Jun 2014 9:06pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mees

Hi pete
Now i understand what happened. Indeed the car has been used for more than 1 year only for very short runs (max 1-2 km per day) and also sometimes stood still several weeks/months. The strange thing also was that only the turbo was warped and not the exhaust manifold. Could this also be an indication that not the egt became too high, but that only the turbo was generating too much heat as it was sticking internally?
The turbo started to start screaming after the car stood still for several weeks and has been used only to go to the grocery.
Post #339076 18th Jun 2014 9:55pm
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
That would or could explain it, the turbo flange is very thin in comparison to some turbos and does warp first normally before the manifold.

Pete
Post #339170 19th Jun 2014 12:59pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
When I get the new turbo fitted next week, I'll see how much the flange on the old one has distorted. Should be interesting Confused
I can't help feeling the thicker copper gasket might be partly responsible for the studs loosening off, so the new turbo will just be fitted with the standard stainless one... Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #339177 19th Jun 2014 1:22pm
mees

yeah would be interesting to see the difference.
also keep us updated about your experiences with the new turbo Very Happy .
Post #339190 19th Jun 2014 1:45pm
HMARR

I've just ordered my BAS Remap interface, Allisport Intercooler and a set of silicon hoses from Pete. I'm hoping to fit them myself (is this easy?)...

Looking forward to it! - Post to New Zealand is slow...

... Also I emailed another site sponsor / supplier for a price for their equivilents before I decided to go with Pete... still waiting for a reply... (two weeks ago at least!)
Post #343316 7th Jul 2014 3:59am
big steve

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Montalcino Red
You have done the right thing Thumbs Up if you do have any trouble I'm sure you will find some help on here but it is straight forward

Steve 2015 2.2 tdci hardtop xs
3.2 conversion DONE 238bhp and 707nm torque and thats just the start ;-P
hybrid turbo in build -done ready to fit
ashcroft atb in transfer box
6 speed auto in build
Post #343322 7th Jul 2014 7:04am
HMARR

So I'm all remapped and re-intercooled courtesy of Pete Bell. Wow, what a difference. Thanks Pete. Should have done this ages ago! Great to be able to do this from the other side of the world all remotely. Pete has gotten some good shipping rates and the delivery was speedy. His service (and patience for someone a little technically challenged) was awesome! Thanks Pete.

Just a few points to note - probably just a bit unique to my defender...

The Allisport intercooler was a little tricky to fit to my car. It took me about 4 hours. The captive bolt/studs holding the side brackets in stumped me a bit. I spent a fair bit of time trying to figure out how to remove these until I found some discussion threads on this site which suggested gripping them with vice grips and unscrewing them that way. They got mauled so needed replacing with M8 bolts. Lucky I had some in my garage, otherwise you should buy some of these prior to undertaking this job!

I needed to angle grind the locator lugs on the intercooler as thy didn't quite line up with the brackets. Not a biggie, but a little bit of work and thinking about it. I also had to shave/file off some of the plastic corner of the radiator - just a little bit... I guess this is all due to having a hand built car - they all vary a bit!

The new silicone hoses were a tight fit. Bit of mucking around getting those into place but all good.

The BAS remap file caught me out a bit as my desktop and laptop were 64 bit. This doesn't seem to work with BAS remaps. Halfway through the download I started getting error messagegs etc. I ended up using my wife's work laptop which was 32 bit and it all went sweet.

Pete sent his file across very quickly after receiving my file and 20 minutes later I was away for a test drive. Even from the run down the driveway I could feel the difference...

After four days of running around, I'm still blown away by the performance improvement,

Cheers Pete!
Post #346644 21st Jul 2014 4:29am
HMARR

Next job is to free up the air intake - maybe use a Safari Snorkel... not sure... ? But really struggling to get the airbox out. Anyone have any advice here? I'm keen to get rid of the water separators and water traps on the dirty air side of the intake, maybe run a new bigger pipe from the outside inlet. I couldn't believe how narrow this gets in places and also how many loose joins there seems to be in the narrow sections from the dirty air side of the box. Glad I haven't tested it out wading as i think I would drown my car!
Post #346645 21st Jul 2014 4:33am
And1145

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Buckingham Blue
I too bought the allisport intercooler. Good point about one of the locating pegs, I had to do the same thing, there's no way it would have fitted without cutting it off. I drilled the last bit out and cable tied it just to give it a bit of extra support.

All in all the intercooler works great with the remap. Torque seems to be present lower in the revs.
Post #346802 21st Jul 2014 8:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>