↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > should I service or not only done 1000 miles
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
landyman40

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Zermatt Silver
should I service or not only done 1000 miles
My defender td5 is due an annual service which I do myself. My question is should I do the service again this year or can I leave it till next year as Ive only done 1000miles in the last 12 months .All the fluids are clean and the engine oil looks like new. I used all genuine filters last year. My concerns are if the lubrication and filters degrade over this time period defender Td5 110xs
Freelander 2 Td4e GS
Post #338559 16th Jun 2014 8:39pm
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
Similar on my TD5 and I left it a few years. But having changed oil & filters recently it feels a whole lot better. But it doesn't seem to have done it any harm.

It's just done 30k miles and it's 13 years old..!

Not even run it.

Cheers

Simon
Post #338561 16th Jun 2014 8:52pm
munch90

England 
things still corrode and seize even more so on a car that stands about , so at least check brakes
Post #338563 16th Jun 2014 8:52pm
Dave-H

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
munch is on the money ...... carry out a vehicle inspection instead of a service.
You'd just be wasting your money doing an oil/filter change after such minor mileage. Guns and Landrovers .... anything else is irrelevant.
Post #338569 16th Jun 2014 9:12pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
Inspect and service if your keeping it

Skimp now regret later
Post #338593 16th Jun 2014 9:53pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
I was once told that condensation and combustion acids in the crankcase can damage an engine when not in use and that people will often lay up vehicles planning to change the oil when they recommission them, but that changing the oil before a lay up is a better policy. My car only does about 3k miles per year but I would always change the oil annually and use it at least every 2 weeks to keep everything freed up. Id change the engine oil for peace of mind. DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #338596 16th Jun 2014 10:07pm
keith

Scotland 
25yrs of LR driving and have serviced every one Every 4000 - 5000 miles .
Post #338597 16th Jun 2014 10:11pm
munch90

England 
read this , interesting !
Engine oils are subjected to a series of industry standard engine dynamometer tests to measure their wear protection capability, sludge and varnish formation tendencies, and fuel efficiency among several other performance attributes before they are approved for use in customer engines. However, these performance attributes are measured at the end of tests and therefore, do not provide any information on how the properties have changed during the tests. In one of our previous studies it was observed that engine oil samples collected from fleet vehicles after 12,000 mile drain interval showed 10-15% lower friction and more importantly, an order of magnitude lower wear rate than those of fresh oils. It was also observed that the composition of the tribochemical films formed was quite different on the surface tested with the drain oils from those formed with fresh oils. The objective of this investigation is to demonstrate how the friction and wear performance changed with oil drain intervals. A fleet of three vehicles was run in Las Vegas and oil samples were collected at various drain intervals from 3,000 miles to 15,000 miles. As in the previous study, the results showed that the aged engine oils provide lower friction and much improved wear protection capability. These improvements were observed as early as the 3,000 mile drain interval and continued to the 15,000 mile drain interval. The composition of tribochemical films formed on the surface with the 3,000 mile drain interval is similar to that formed with the 12,000 mile drain interval as seen before. These findings could be an enabler for achieving longer drain interval although several other factors must to be considered.
Post #338600 16th Jun 2014 10:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1