↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Smartphones
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
harveyg77

United Kingdom 
Smartphones
Moving from O2 back to Orange (has reception where I need it unlike O2). Currently running an iPhone but toying with getting something else. Thinking Blackberry, something Android based or Nokia.

I use email, text and mms, plus Internet. iPhone great for this as it's idiot proof to both setup and use. Anyone experience of the others? I don't want something difficult or with ilogical menus, etc.

Thanks Harvey
Post #33667 3rd Jun 2010 9:54pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Re: Smartphones
harveyg77 wrote:
Moving from O2 back to Orange (has reception where I need it unlike O2). Currently running an iPhone but toying with getting something else. Thinking Blackberry, something Android based or Nokia.

I use email, text and mms, plus Internet. iPhone great for this as it's idiot proof to both setup and use. Anyone experience of the others? I don't want something difficult or with ilogical menus, etc.

Thanks Harvey

My blackberry got handed back to our comms department in bits after I'd intentionally run over it in the LR Exclamation

If you're used to an iPhone then a blackberry will anoy the s**t out of you. The interface is positively stone age. It has its plus points, though (very fast at retrieving email because it reduces everything to simple, unformatted text).

Android phones (the google ones) are very sweet but a bit too slow at the moment. Again - you'll get frustrated by them quite quickly.

Microsoft phones are a bit clunky but have better integration with MS Office than any of the other devices (which are essentially read only). If that's not your thing then you'd be better off avoiding them.

Nokia's Symbian interface is OK but a bit behind the times compared with the others. It's also quite slow on their most advanced phones. If you're going for a basic 'candy bar' phone (i.e. not a smart phone) then it's pretty effective but it doesn't really touch Android or Apple for functional interface design.

To be honest, you're probably better off sticking with the iPhone. If you can wait 3 months, the new iPhone 4 will be out. Doesn't look like it'll be hugely different (obviously it'll come with the new OS software but you'll be able to put this on a 3GS phone too) but will likely have a few nice features around the camera, screen and battery life.

If you need to switch operators in the mean time, you could ask O2 to unlock your phone (which they will do on request) and then get an Orange/VF sim for the next few months until the new phone arrives.

HTH
Alan One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #33674 3rd Jun 2010 11:05pm
harveyg77

United Kingdom 
Thanks for that. I like the screen size of the iPhone, which i woudl loose on the ones with a keyboard.

What are Palm like nowdays?

I used to have an old Palm PDA and it was brilliant, like the old Windows CE/3/Mobile, but simplified and more robust.
Post #33707 4th Jun 2010 1:04pm
Chunk

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
New iPhone will be announced on Monday, will either be available immediately or at the end of the month if past releases are anything to go by.

Cheers
Post #33708 4th Jun 2010 1:10pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I love my blackberry storm - better than an iphone any day Mike
Post #33713 4th Jun 2010 3:41pm
harveyg77

United Kingdom 
Why is a Blackberry better than an iPhone? I'm loyal ro none, just want what ever is best for me.
Post #33717 4th Jun 2010 4:21pm
mse

harveyg77 wrote:
Why is a Blackberry better than an iPhone? I'm loyal ro none, just want what ever is best for me.

Because i hate apple Question Rolling with laughter

Seriously in my opinion if you need a phone to do push email and integrate with your calendar, task list etc - then this is bread and butter for blackberry

If you want some of the tranditional smart features - blackberry did it before the iphone was a concept.

its also cheaper Exclamation

But then I have my blackberry for work and a proper phone form home Mike
Post #33725 4th Jun 2010 5:51pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
mse wrote:
I love my blackberry storm - better than an iphone any day

And I thought you were such a level headed guy. Tssh oh well Wink One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #33749 5th Jun 2010 12:08am
mse

alantd wrote:
mse wrote:
I love my blackberry storm - better than an iphone any day

And I thought you were such a level headed guy. Tssh oh well Wink

Not when it comes it apple Thumbs Up Rolling with laughter which should only be for eating or cooking Whistle Mike
Post #33755 5th Jun 2010 9:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1