↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Constant Horn
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
110 John

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Ive had my nanocom plugged in this morning and no codes showing on the alarm or engine modes I also checked the instruments and nothing seems a miss battery voltage is 12.1 and with tick over its 14.4v and that time the booster was left on I felt the battery and it was slightly just warm had it tested said it was ok.
Seems to be an intermittant random fault last time it happened was 6 weeks ago. I wonder about the rear brake light bad earth that causes alarm issues but as I said the alarm wasnt armed and doors were unlocked Ive checked all the alarm settings and all still as was. Wondering now if the 10as is faulty as that is fed direct from the battery but the alarm seems to function as it should
Post #333188 24th May 2014 11:25am
Mongolia

France 
Sorry but what is the meaning of MOT and 10AS
Gérard
Post #333197 24th May 2014 12:40pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
10AS is the ECU (electronic control unit) on a Defender that controls the alarm and central locking.
It's made by Lucas and fitted to the TD5s and Pumas (possibly others?).

MOT is the Ministry Of Transport and usually refers to the MOT Test, which is a test that almost all vehicles in the UK have to pass annually. It checks things like vehicle safety, conformance to various regulation etc.
Post #333202 24th May 2014 1:05pm
110 John

This has happened twice now pulled the alarm fuse under the seat to kill it, put it back in few hours later alls fine, its the alarm horns not the normal horn thats going off a constant blare and not pulsed as the alarm is set, got to be a short somewhere what I cant understand is the alarm wasnt armed and doors were unlocked at the time strange , thats twice in 6 weeks its happened
Post #333207 24th May 2014 1:48pm
Mjibex

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Loire Blue
Do you have any water leaks into the front footwells?
Post #333318 24th May 2014 8:53pm
Mongolia

France 
Many thanks Cupboard
Post #333333 24th May 2014 10:29pm
110 John

Mjibex wrote:
Do you have any water leaks into the front footwells?

Ive noticed one drip left hand centre on the gear housing foot well which leaves a rusty mark on the carpet but its not soaking or a visible drip just a slight mark on the carpet that rubs off with my fingers not there all the time but putting my hand up under the dash centre from the left hand foot well the upper carpet is damp centre dash area
Post #333371 25th May 2014 7:42am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
110 John, with an intermittent fault such as yours you may have to wait until it gets progressively worse to find it. Slightly off topic with an XS and a water leak passenger side this is well worth a look.....

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic14249.html?highlight=drain If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #333379 25th May 2014 8:17am
110 John

Im heading back to Aberdeen this afternoon 2 day course prior to going offshore weds, then away 2 weeks, Looks like when I get home its gonna be a dash strip out to find this water ingress and seal it not sure where the 10 AS is exactly located but think its right hand bulk head. The horn bit is a P-I-T-A as it only wants to play when folk are in bed like 23:30 or 06:25 just to let us know its still there. But Im gonna remove the fuses time Im away so it cant play with the neighbours. So what the best sealants to buy so Im ready with it when I get the dash removed, Just incase its a leak through the window seal or grommets in the bulk head also the link you sent for the Air con drain hey it may be that backed up Im gonna have a look cheers K9F didnt know about that
Post #333385 25th May 2014 8:32am
Mongolia

France 
Hi 110Jhon,
Closing the vehicle with the plip , I have the same problem with my 130 Tdci which is now 190.000km on the clock.
This started last year in February in Uganda , after going to Land Rover for fixing my radiator cooling . Three days later, the alarm began to start very randomly as 23h or 4h am (or in daylight .... ) but sometimes , I spent one week or more without problem.
To solve this issue , I did not close the vehicle with the plip but with the key. and there no problem .
Three months later, I went to a good Land Rover Pretoria and they changed a lot of parts. But the next day, with plip , the alarm began to turn on randomly. So I decided to close again with the key.
Last September , still in South Africa, I did a little maintenance at a garage ( Roverland in Capetown ): they changed my switch-ignition ring beneath the lock assembly-steering column because I had an early contact issue . Following that, I closed my car with my plip and everything worked fine for 2 months in Botswana and Namibia.
At the end of my trip, I had a loss of power (and I think, aturbo issue ): so, I went to Land Rover in Walvis Bay. The next night , my alarm switched on at night.
Coincidence or not , the issue was resolved after going to Roverland and is re-triggered after going to a Land Rover garage.
Since my return to France in December , as you, I see that my interior light does not light up when I open the door ( any ): all switches were controlled or replaced by Land Rover Pretoria.
I always look for the solution? And I am very interested by this link .
Gérard
Post #333420 25th May 2014 11:23am
110 John

Hi thanks for the info your interior light will be the setting needs changed in the 10AS with a nanocom or the likes to smart from normal setting ive had this 3 times now when disconnecting the battery Ive had to re programme the 10AS for the interia light and also the horns from constant too pulse get them checked out When set to normal the interior light will not work when doors open it needs to change from NORMAL to SMART also the alarm horns may need to be changed from CONSTANT to PULSED seems sometimes when disconnecting the battery it looses these settings your light not working suggests that . But this is not the cure for the contant horn even when alarm is disarmed
Post #333421 25th May 2014 11:27am
-[Allan]-

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Cairns Blue
I had the same thing in one of my 50th's.

Water gets down the back of the driver's side bulkhead into the 10AS.

The horn would come on and stay on and the interior courtesy lights wouldn't work. The switch on the lights did however.

Swapping for a new 10AS cured it my case.

I got LR to do it as it is a pig to get to behind the dash.
Post #333607 25th May 2014 10:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123