↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Vango Airbeam tents
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
party monkey

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Cairns Blue
Vango Airbeam tents
Anyone had any experience of these tents?

At some stage later in the year I'm looking to upgrade our current modest tent setup and one of the priorities is speed/simplicity of pitching for one person, as typically, it's just me and one or more of the kids.

Am mindful of the oztent / jet tent options but am not that keen on either their looks or practicality for family camping without bolting on extra bits, so for us occasional campers, they are just too expensive. At the mo, the Khyam quick erect range are in top spot on my list for speed and value for money but this Vango range has aroused my interest in the hunt for a quick erection ...... Ahem...... Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #221757 24th Mar 2013 8:52pm
Mountain_man

Wales 
Not had experience of the Vango ones Jon but can recommend the Quechua Family pop up tents

http://tente.quechua.com/en/tent/r-2,en-tentes-instantanees.html

Very quick to get up and once you get the hang of it easy enough to take down too. I would be tempted to get a separate base and a couple of small 2 man modules rather than a family tent as it makes the set up more versatile.
Post #221839 24th Mar 2013 11:15pm
party monkey

Thanks Mark .... more food for thought Thumbs Up

I like Quechua's comment about easy to put away, 'once you have the knack' ....

Part of our current setup is a small Gelert pop up tent and based on my experience, I would summarise the 'once you have the knack' as, 'once you've got past it popping back up in your face splitting your lip and knocking your glasses off, followed by mild expression of ones frustration and threats to drive over it.... then, mindful that you appear to have an audience gathering... try to style it out and just shove the s*dding thing in the back of the 110 as if you always intended to do so'

Still.... once I realised the supplied instructions were useless and Gelert made a youtube video all became crystal clear.

Perhaps you can now see why I like the idea of inflatable beams Shocked Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #221877 25th Mar 2013 9:52am
timbar

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Did you get an inflatable tent in the end? We've been looking at Vango, Sunncamp and Outwell ones, and have been wondering if anyone's got any experience with them.

And we just found out about Karsten tents too. Not cheap! 2009 110 XS Station Wagon
Post #333061 23rd May 2014 6:02pm
v8steve

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
i have a vango air beam 8 man great bit of kit. so easy the pitch. very waterproof, very roomy.
quite pricey but worth it. will be useing mine in a couple of weeks then of the france in july.
iam a bit of a tent junky 7 at the mo Embarassed 110 xs s/wagon
s3 swb soft top
Post #333071 23rd May 2014 6:33pm
timbar

Looking at a 6 man one, have 3 kids but they're still small. Read mostly good reviews but a few bad; hopefully seeing some this weekend but I'm pretty much sold just on the pitching time. 2009 110 XS Station Wagon
Post #333072 23rd May 2014 6:39pm
v8steve

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
its handy not needing to put all the bedrooms in if not needed if i just put two at one end i can get the trayback in for fetteling if need arises,
also having 6000mm hydro static head (waterproofness) gives great confidence when the weather turns. Thumbs Up 110 xs s/wagon
s3 swb soft top
Post #333111 23rd May 2014 9:41pm
party monkey

@timbar... Didn't go with an inflatable one in the end as they were just far too much money relative to the amount of camping we do (only managed four nights last year and one so far this year).

Following MM's recommendation, had a look at Quechua (Decathlon's own brand I believe) and bought a four man pop up for not much more than £130 as it was being discontinued and they were selling them off cheap. Pretty easy and quick for one person to both pitch and take down.

Also bought a decent sized Quechua two man (again being discontinued) for about £50. Again, dead easy to pitch and take down. Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #333144 24th May 2014 12:22am
timbar

Grand, ta both Thumbs Up 2009 110 XS Station Wagon
Post #333149 24th May 2014 6:13am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1