Home > Off Topic > Exasperating phone conversations
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Exasperating phone conversations
Conversation with my new energy supplier just now:

Me: Hello. The opening meter reading you're showing isn't the same as I gave you.
Them: No, your last supplier didn't agree it.
Me: Sorry, what?
Them: Your last supplier didn't accept the final reading figure.
Me: But that WAS the meter reading.
Them: Well, it went to an outside validation process, and we both agreed on the final reading.
Me: I didn't agree it.
Them: Well, your last supplier, and us, agreed this new reading.
Me: But it's wrong.
Silence
Me: What's the point in me giving you a reading if you are going to ignore it?
Them: We didn't ignore it.
Me: Yes, you did.
Them: No, we took it into account, but agreed a different reading.
Me: But it's out by 45 kilowatt-hours.
Them: Well, that's acceptable as it's within a reading of 250.
Me: But it isn't the correct reading - I might as well have not bothered then.
Them: It went to a validation process...
Me: I don't care about your process, there was no point in me starting up my computer in the evening of that day to give you a reading when the switch-over was supposed to happen in an hour or so, was there?
Them: Your last supplier didn't accept that reading.
Me: My last supplier were a bunch of con artists, that's why I'm actually paying MORE to be supplied by you! Why did you ask for a reading at the switch-over point?
Them: So that you are billed correctly.
Me: But it isn't correct though, is it?
Them: It went to a validation process and that is what was agreed. Don't worry, you won't pay both of us, it's just that we didn't use your actual reading.
Me: So why should I bother giving readings then?
Them: To get an accurate bill.

I had to admit defeat on this one and say goodbye to the lady who continually tried to talk over me. I rang Ofgem. Have any of you tried this? I had to go through a load of options, and pressed 1 to talk to someone. Strangely, I am given the number for Citizens Advice. So I hold. I get the same options again. This time I press 5 for reception...

Me: Hello. I just need to ask if an energy supplier can...
Them: Did you press 4?
Me: Er, no, I pressed 5, that's why I'm talking to you.
Them: No, no, you should have pressed 4.
Me: I didn't want 4.
Them: No, I have tried this system myself, and 4 gets you to Enquiries.
Me: No, 4 was something else, I can't remember...
Them: Wait a minute... ...You want option 4.
Me: No, I don't.
Them: Just a moment...
She's gone, and I get the options again. This time I listen intently. Option 4 of the set of options is 'Ofgem Policies'. So I press 5 again.
Them: Hello?
Me: It's me again. You're wrong. Option 4 is Ofgem Policies. I don't want ofgem policies, I want to talk to someone.
Them: No, option 4 is enquiries.
Me: No, it isn't, it's ofgem policies.
Them: Well, it works for me.
Me: Well it doesn't from outside of your building!
Them: Give me your number and I'll get them to phone you.

An hour later they did, and said that energy suppliers cannot make the readings up, and must go with the readings given by customers. Apparently I should go through the supplier's complaints procedure and allow them up to 8 weeks to respond. If they don't then I have the right to apply to the ombudsman to complain. I won't be doing that. I just learnt to hate energy companies a little more than I did before.
Banging Head Now left.
Post #332298 20th May 2014 2:54pm
iPints

United States 1994 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Big Cry Big Cry Banging Head typical jobs worth. It appears nobody want to help anybody these days....I am applying to nationwide for a re-mortgage, they asked for two P60's and my latest bank statement. I sent all this out, I then get a message say we have just changes policies and want to see two particular pay slips. and the bank statement is invalid as it doesn't show my name and address.
I email my bank who is nationwide and ask for a paper statement with name and address on it to be told that I can have an interim statement but a months statement will cost me £5....I sigh and accept the charge. I went 10 days to get the statement and an interim statement arrives.......they didn't charge me £5 even though I accepted this charge.

I now have to take time off work to get to the bank to speak to the manager to get this statement, I asked about a Saturday appointment but the manager only works during the week. I asked if anyone else can help me and apparently not!

Nationwide aren't making things easy for their own customers let alone new ones!!! The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead.

Albert Einstein
Post #332308 20th May 2014 3:54pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
I've been with Nationwide since they were 'Nationwide Anglia' - decades ago. My wife also. We went for a remortgage and they turned us down! We were speechless. We live in a half-a-million pound house, only wanted a fraction of its worth, and we have savings...with them! Their tag line is, "We're On Your Side"!!! We went to Northern Rock, now Virgin, and they accepted us with open arms. Now left.
Post #332313 20th May 2014 4:26pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Interestingly enough I used to deal with final meter readings for an energy supplier years ago, student night job kind of thing. I do recall that if the reading given by the customer was close to the agreed reading then it wouldn't be changed as it was not cost effective, from what I remember it was something like 250 units but I cannot remember for certain. It will eventually even itself out, for now it sounds as though your old supplier is trying to claw as much from you as they can, but when you work it out it will be something like £2.50 or so, only a few quid anyway. The amount of work that would go in to adjusting the reading and re-printing the bills means it isn't very cost effective. That said, if you got your reading in on time they should have used it, but presumably the estimated changeover reading had already been calculated when you supplied the actual reading. I know we never took customer readings as gospel, more then a few instances where the actual reading supplied by a meter reader was wildly different.(eg customer reads wrong rate on e7, or gives gas instead of leccy) So long as the reading they used is pretty close to the one you took I really wouldn't worry unduly, although I can understand it is frustrating and a matter of principle. So far as Ofgem etc is concerned they have done absolutely nothing wrong so far as I can see, so long as the reading is not miles out.

The only bit I can't work out is "outside validation process" - this is utterly meaningless to me as when we did it it was all in-house based on actual readings where possible. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #332362 20th May 2014 7:08pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Alicat

United Kingdom 
Had the same discussion with my energy supplier recently.

Even worse, they unilaterally decided I was using more energy than I told them and tried to double the DD within a month of switching!

All sorted now, but it was painful hearing their reasons.
Post #332386 20th May 2014 8:07pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
My old supplier is 'isupplyenergy.co.uk' - a total joke. They tried to up my direct debit a few months ago when I was almost £600 in credit. Fortunately, I'm on the ball with my figures and put them right. But they did it again a month later. When I asked them why, they didn't answer any of SIX emails. When they finally did, they said that my last meter reading hadn't been taken into consideration!!! When the term ended on April 30th, they took another payment out of my bank on May 1st. I knew they ruddy well would, so I had told them that I was going to cancel my direct debit. They said that if I did they would fine me £30 - under their terms & conditions. So I got my bank to take the money back instead. That stuffed them. However, even when taking into account their upped reading, they are still overcharging by £8. I've emailed them three times today, but they're not answering. As it stands, they have had £102 of my money for three weeks now, with no sign of me getting it back.

My term ended on April 30th and that's when they asked me for a reading - which was given on that date as requested. The extra (due to the incorrect reading) is £16. This isn't £16 I've lost, but rather £16 that would have gone to my new supplier, OVO. They don't give a rats. Ofgem say that they simply cannot do this. When a customer gives a reading, that's the meter reading, full stop. They can't (in her words) just add some on or take any away.

Wife didn't believe the conversation I had had with Ofgem, so we rang the number again - this time on speakerphone (I have to get out more!). 020 7901 7295. If you choose option 1 about a query, you simply get the Citizens Advice number - and you get into a loop, with the same message over and over. You don't want option 4, which is "Ofgem's policies", so you could go for option 5. There, you'll get a receptionist with attitude who will tell you that you should have chosen option 4 - which is wrong, but she doesn't believe you. Now left.
Post #332393 20th May 2014 8:22pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
When I was doing the job we would have changed it for £16 worth, I *think* it had to be over £10 worth, if it was under that it was left as agreed. So yes by the figures you have given your old supplier is taking the pee basically. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #332401 20th May 2014 8:31pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1