↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Will all pre-fix engines develop a knock eventually?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Will all pre-fix engines develop a knock eventually?
Still trying to find a decent second hand 110, and I'm wondering if all the engines built before the PCJ engine knock fix was installed will eventually succumb to the problem?

If I find an otherwise decent 2008 model with, say 70k miles that's in the affected VIN range, hasn't had the engine changed but isn't currently knocking, is it worth avoiding because of the issue? I don't want to end up spending a large amount of money on something that's soon going to need another large chunk spending on an engine.

I've search the forum for variants of TDCi, Puma, jet, knock and PCJ and found lots of information about the issue but nothing to say if it will affect every engine.

This is the one I'm referring to:

Quote:
itle: 2.4 Puma Engine Knock Noise.
Type: LD - Defender - All Years - Special Service Messages - Engine
Name / Part No: SSM38792
Info Type: Service Bulletins
Version No: 1
Date Uploaded: 21 Jul 2008
Models: LD - Defender
Title: 2.4 Puma Engine Knock Noise.
Last Modified: 21-JUL-2008 09:44
Category: Engine
Symptom: 497000 Engine Noise

Content Issue: Heavy audible knocking heard on start up.
Cause: On start up oil pressures can cause the piston cooling jets, (PCJ), to latch into a zero flow condition. Due to hysteresis effect in design the jets do not unlatch until the engine is warm and the oil pressures lower again. During this time with no pressurized oil jet flow to the lower pistons / cylinder bores, overheat and scuff conditions / damage can occur.

Action: Replace the engine assy but ensure only engines post serial # ELD00080707063602 are used.
This condition will not occur on vehicles post assured Vin# 9A767162.
Engines post the info above are fitted with modified PCJ internal springs and this issue is now closed.
Post #331759 18th May 2014 1:35pm
munch90

England 
personally ive never heard or seen this problem with any defender or transit
Post #331786 18th May 2014 3:41pm
spudfan

Ireland 
I had an engine change owing to this problem on a 2008 Puma, you'll find the posts regarding it on the site.
It seems that not all vehicles within the effected range will develope the problem. Mine started with a knocking on start up but got gradually worse. It was also using oil and had a relatively high smoke test reading of .750.
Check the MOT results on the vehicle you are looking at. If the smoke results are in the .13 region or thereabouts it should be O.K. If you can, dip it for oil. It should be level with the top mark as when a Puma is serviced with 7 litres of oil it comes to the top mark on the dipstick. If it is down it is either using oil or has not been serviced in the recent past. It has been mentioned on this site by owners that their Pumas use no oil between services. Mine was using oil which told me that I had a problem.
P.M me if you need additional info on my problem. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #331809 18th May 2014 5:46pm
MD5

2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Also my engine fall in the defective list. No way to a proactive engine replacement when warranty was active. Now I'm at 51.000 km and at the moment everything run fine, no knocking and oil level is ok.

Like spudfan wrote I suspect that engine knocking appear when it's too late and the engine is almost gone. I hope I'm wrong, but I fear that all the engine in the list soon or later will develop the knocking / wearing. The timing depends on the manner of use of the vehicle and on many variables such as the type of oil used + the change frequency, the environmental temperatures etc. etc.

I wonder if a low density oil such the 0W-30 or 0W-40 and a keep running the engine at low rpm until worm could help in extend it's life.
Post #331817 18th May 2014 6:39pm
Cupboard

I thought they were all fixed by 2009?
Post #331838 18th May 2014 7:28pm
spudfan

Ireland 
I had to prove that any oil change not carried out by the maindealer had been done using the correct specification oil. I had receipts for the oil and was able to prove that it was suitable for the Puma. The idea of changing to a 0W-30 or a 0W-40 in theory might help matters,but it is not what Land Rover dictate for the engine. In theory you could well use the 0W-30. There is a rule of thumb regarding oils. Namely you can use oil with a LOWER lefthand figure, i.e. the 0W instead of the 5W but DO NOT interfere with the righthand figure i.e. the 30. Once you vary from the handbook and specs. set by the manufacturer it is easy for a manufacturer to walk away saying that you had a hand in causing the engine to develope a fault as it was not maintained as it should have been. I was lucky as I had everthing in order.
Though obvious that some batches of the engine have a fault built into them, that may only manifest itself in the long term Land Rover say that not all the engines in this batch will develope the fault. That is why there was not a recall to change the engine BEFORE the issue arose. The older a vehicle gets and the more starts it does will, in my opinion, bring this issue to the fore in many more vehicles.
Like I said earlier, warning signs to watch out for are
a) oil consumption
b) higher than normal smoke test readings.
c) knocking on start up and idle which gets worse over time.
Points (a) and (b) might start to show up before (c) begins to worry you. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #331841 18th May 2014 7:34pm
MD5

@Spudfan: When your engine start to develop the problem, did you feel a change in the smell of the exhaust due to the burnt oil ?
Post #331846 18th May 2014 7:49pm
spudfan

Ireland 
When it got bad there was a lot of blue smoke on start up, on accelerating and overtaking.Did'nt get a smell inside the vehicle but close to the exhaust it would smell. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #331849 18th May 2014 7:54pm
MD5

Thanks for the information. Thumbs Up
Post #331855 18th May 2014 8:02pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The problem is caused by excessive oil pressure "locking out" the PCJs so that they don't squirt. It is hard to see any reason why it is more likely to happen on an old engine than a new provided that oil changes are done properly since oil pressure tends to drop with age rather than increase. It may of course be that it is more likely to be terminal on an old engine since any damage will be cumulative.

I think that the reason that LR states that all were done by 2009 is simply because that was when the warranty expired on the last vehicle with the old type of PCJ. It certainly does not mean that the problem no longer occurs.

As far as the OP's question is concerned I don't for a moment think it is inevitable, and a sweet running '07 which has had oil changes done on time with quality oil should be fine.
Post #331918 18th May 2014 10:52pm
Cupboard

Ah, OK.

I think I may have misunderstood the problem then. I was under the impression that if you had an affected engine then every time there was high oil pressure (like at startup) you got no flow, and hence every cold start it would make the problem a little worse. The more recent engines having been modified to fix this.

What you're saying is that the jets only lock out under relatively unusual circumstances which only occur if other things like oil changes aren't kept on top of?
Post #331924 18th May 2014 11:29pm
Mack

2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Chawton White
Shocked

Last edited by Mack on 19th May 2014 3:56am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #331933 19th May 2014 3:21am
Mack

2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Chawton White
Just checked my vin is 758871. Understood to be one of the possible failure group. I have never missed and oil change every 5k km Castrol Magnatec 5w30. Should I be worried? Is is possible to do something to avoid the damage? It has now over 150 k km and no problems at all.

Cheers
Mack
Post #331934 19th May 2014 3:54am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
My understanding is that it is only conditions of exceptional high oil pressure that cause the jets to lock out, ie under normal starting conditions with clean oil they work as designed. If you have thick dirty oil or if you are running with the wrong oil it is therefore more likely to happen. Temperature is also probably a factor - this must be more likely to occur in very cold weather or climates.

I cannot believe that on all engines there is no flow on startup, since in this case all engines would be doomed and most would have failed by now. I can't see how LR/Ford would have got into that situation, and certainly can't see how they could have avoided a general recall.

I suppose that another possiblility is that only certain batches of PCJs exhibited this property so only some engines in the range were affected, and LR is presuming that by now all these will have failed and been replaced.

I certainly don't see why anyone would design a PCJ that shut down under conditions of high oil pressure - it is completely insane - so I imagine that the problem must be a flow restrictor with unexpected characteristics.

Bearing in mind the failure mechanism (bore/piston scuffing and wear, leading to piston slap, blow-by and presumably ultimately metal fragments in the lubrication system causing almost total destruction of braing surfaces) I am pretty sure that by the time you hear knocking it is all over as far as you engine is concerned.

Do Transits use the same PCJs, and do they have the same problem? Anyone know?
Post #331979 19th May 2014 9:20am
munch90

England 
like I said in earlier post , I have never seen a transit engine suffered with this or heard anyone say about it

yes we have changed lots of transit engines , but they all been high mileage ones , most of them been boiled up cracked pistons ,run with dodgy injectors or broken timing chain or not just not looked after

we used to service a lot of transit courier vans and working transits , all got 10/40 semi but were done regularly

now the tdci get 5/30 fully

company owned vans were always the worst ones , owner drivers would look after there vans better

there are issues now with 2.2 tdci oil pumps failing , had quite a few of them go back to fords with not that many miles on them

standard thing applies , don't rev the n@ts out of it or drive it hard till its got a bit of temprature in it

to be honest I think the 2.2 is going to give more problems than the 2.4 did
Post #331982 19th May 2014 9:47am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>