↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Puma 2.4 starting problem (I've read lots of stuff)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Johnikgriff

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Puma 2.4 starting problem (I've read lots of stuff)
Sorry, my first post and it's a cry for help. I've read of lots of information on starting issues but non I've found are similar to mine.

I'll start with I've had a toad alarm fitted, but as I had it fitted with in a few days of getting it I can't rule it in or out, but the guys who fitted it assure me it's not the alarm (cos they would).

So this has happened 3 times and it always seems to be when I've not done a normal entry start routine, I.e lock door when I leave, unlock to get back in and start. When it's happening I've stopped somewhere and then attempted to start the car after say 10/20 minutes later without getting out and removing the keys.

The ignition turns fine, all the light come on (temperature gauge is normal) but no cranking, nothing, not even a click. First time I tried every combination of locking, unlocking, new keyfob, old keyfob, jumping up and down (factory imobilisher light is going off fine). Ended up leaving it for half an hour to seek help and when I returned I unlocked it jumped in and it started straight away. When I got home I went round and checked every connection, battery positive was a bit lose and I'd hoped it was that. All was fine for a few weeks and I was feeling very smug, but that has now been wiped out as it has now happened on 2 further occasions.

The other 2 times I just locked it went for and came back after half an hour and it's worked straight away both times.

An thoughts.
Post #326271 26th Apr 2014 7:20pm
martinfiattech

England 
Ask alarm installer to remove immobiliser section of alarm and return to factory spec so at least you can rule that out.

Then it`s on to basic fault finding, check all feeds and grounds, make sure all battery and starter connections sound.
Most of all is the battery any good and fully charged.
make notes of starting routine you never know, Excuse the spelling I`am better with spanners and wires.
Post #326480 27th Apr 2014 6:50pm
domcoutts

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
You don't happen to have both key fobs attached to one another or close to the steering column? ... As this plays havoc with the immobiliser.
Post #326498 27th Apr 2014 7:53pm
Johnikgriff

I think having them take the ignition isolation out is defiantly a good way to start. I have a couple of other issues with the alarm they are coming back to fix (I had to remove the tilt sensor as it was setting the alarm off all the time and the txt alert is just bonkers. Doesn't txt when the alarm goes off and sends me texts as I'm driving the road).

I have to use both key fobs as the original is still needed for the factory immobiliser (something they failed to mentioned when I asked before they installed it). But I moved the immobiliser receiver off the steering column as I fitted a steering lock protector thing from the foundry just after they fitted the the alarm(didn't cut the cables) and re positioned it down by the shelf and taped the fob to it and it seemed to work fine. That said my first thought was this was the issue and I removed it during the first failure and added it to my "messing round" at the time, but didn't seem to influence the issue. It is in my thoughts mind.
Post #326516 27th Apr 2014 8:20pm
munch90

England 
was it all right before extra alarm fitted ?
Post #326520 27th Apr 2014 8:31pm
carrotbay

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel XS CSW Auto Santorini Black
I have this problem all the time but have just got used to it. When it happens turn off the ignition, stay sitting in the vehicle, lock on the key fob and watch the flashing red light on the dash. When it stops flashing quickly unlock again on the key fob and it will start.

PITA I know, but I've got used to it.

Please let me know if you find a proper fix ..thanks 2008 Defender 110 XS SW - M57N2 / 6HP28X
Post #326564 27th Apr 2014 10:23pm
Johnikgriff

It never happened before the alarm was fitted, but I had it fitted after 3 days of ownership and it didn't then happen until a week later. After I thought I'd sorted it, it was fine for about another week and then it happen twice in 3 days. So I guess I'm saying I can't tell.

Carrot boy, which keyfob? I don't use the original one anymore as the new one does the doors, just leave it permanently taped inside so the standard immobiliser is deactivated. I tried lots of lock unlock combinations first time it happened, using both keyfobs, tbh if I could find a quick fix (well quicker that the leave it for half an hour I use now), I'd probably live with it.
Post #326596 28th Apr 2014 8:08am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The Puma is fairly notorious for doing odd things if you leave the keys in range of the passive immobiliser coil for protracted periods when the engine is stopped, or if there are spare keys in range of the coil, or if two sets of keys are simultaneously in range of the coil (even my main dealer warned me about this)! The symptoms you describe match what happens perfectly.

Obviously we have no idea how the Toad alarm is linked to the standard AS10, if at all, but one thing you could try is to disable the passive immobiliser on the AS10 and see if normal service is then resumed.

It is disctincly possible that if the standard keyfob is permanently in range of the coil, then the AS10 will misbehave.
Post #326601 28th Apr 2014 9:06am
munch90

England 
I had the same sort of thing when I first got mine , walking up to it the central wont work another time it would be fine but once when it done I noticed my gate electric gate opening , my wife was opening gate with her car keys (you have to keep button on gate fob pressed to open ) and it was blocking signal to defender

also had where immobiser has not communicated with other module but only had it happen when on holiday and wife has defender spare keys with her , could be picking up the two signals
Post #326604 28th Apr 2014 9:24am
Johnikgriff

I did have some suspicion about the passive immobiliser and leaving the fob permanently in the car. I guess turning the passive arming off would be a good start, just need to find somebody with a nanocom near me.
Post #326611 28th Apr 2014 10:05am
Johnikgriff

Just as an update (in case anyone ever has similar issues). I had the alarm guy move the aftermarket alarm immobiliser away from starter motor and I bought a Nanacom to switch off my passive arming of the factory alarm. So far (well over a week) it's been fine, so finger crossed.
Post #330580 12th May 2014 6:41pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Thanks for the update. though I suspect you mean passive immobiliser not passive alarm.
Post #330588 12th May 2014 7:04pm
Johnikgriff

Indeed I did.
Post #330989 14th May 2014 4:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1