Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
it had to happen ...
Post #329467 8th May 2014 9:57pm
munch90

England 
if cars are parking along there bet they are more worried about not paying to park near stone henge
Post #329479 8th May 2014 10:15pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I agree with above, way things are going in this country we may as well soon clear out abroad because there will be nothing o stay here for.
Every nicety is being destroyed thanks to idiots laws, or laws for idiots.
Post #329495 8th May 2014 10:53pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
It's not as if ordinary cars can't make it along there, that robot Brian, off the car insurance advert trundles along it well enough Rolling Eyes
Post #329506 8th May 2014 11:43pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
We drove past the 'Henge last weekend and the green road was log-jammed with parked vehicles.
The main road is still as slow as before they removed the turn off and took over 30 mins to drive the 3 miles past the site without any other reason for slow traffic other than people slowing down to take a peek or work out that they had missed the turning to the entrance and what to do to get back there ...

The signs are very poor with visitors not aware of the entrance being removed as their maps and satnav still directing them that way ... it needs bigger and more explicit signs to point them the right way off the roundabouts at each end of the road ... as these are visitors and not locals who know where they are going.

Being from that area originally I would be very upset if they made any changes to access in that area, but its such an issue being the most visited tourist site in the UK that there will always be people who do their own thing and are then followed by others. (and as to visual impact ... the 3000 cars an hour on the main road probably has more impact that the 30 or so parked ones on the by-way..!)

just my thoughts!!

(English Nature have done the same on Bodmin Moore next to the hurlers and re-classified a road there to stop access for vehicles) Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #329562 9th May 2014 9:04am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
it will be interesting to see how it pans out but i suspect EH will get their own way
Post #329760 9th May 2014 9:14pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I drove up that byway today. Parked on it in fact, and wandered around the field on the non-paid side of the green mesh (that the "builders" put up, according to the snotty security woman who didn't like the fact that we'd driven up, walked on the PRoW in the field and saved ourselves £56 as there were 4 of us... plus dog.

Oh, I forgot, "sorry, dogs aren't allowed in the stones"... yeah, because some dog pee will totally erode the stones that have been there for thousands of years... oops, no they won't because you can't get anywhere near the stones anyway!!!!

I digress.... I was the only vehicle on that byway. the A303 was at an almost standstill, people slowing to have a look at the stones, but there was no-one parked up.

By the time we left two cars had arrived, but nothing much.

But as Steve says, sometimes it's chaotic... last time we were out on a forum laning trip we had to wait to cross the "old" road as it was so busy.

English heritage won't put a large pile of soil at the end of the byways (for 4x4's only to climb, thus keeping 99% of the traffic off) as they consider it a blot on the landscape and not in keeping with their ethos of a free countryside... but they'll have ugly security fencing and a huge visitors centre, and charge folk £13.90 to look at the stones Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Pished off? me? nah.... Whistle
Post #329915 10th May 2014 4:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1