↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > obscured number plate
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
obscured number plate
Not on the defender that would be silly.

If you have a car that is new enough to need a type approved tow bar and you fit one that carries a certificate of conformity and it partially blocks the rear number plates where does the law put you? I know it's illegal to obscure the plate but if the towbar has a certificate that suggests that it is appropriate and legal to fit and use? Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #328851 6th May 2014 10:45pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
lambert.the.farmer wrote:
I know it's illegal to obscure the plate but if.....

Think you know the answer already.... Thumbs Up

The tow bar may have all the certifications it needs to make it approved but the onus is still on the owner of the vehicle to ensure number plates are visible.
You're not from the USA are you? If not maybe you should consider a move perhaps? Rolling with laughter Bow down Rolling with laughter If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #328859 6th May 2014 10:54pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
This is why some newer cars with a low mounted reg plate often have those swan neck tow balls that are removable
(I assume anyway)
Obviously when towing then it does matter, then when not it should be removed.
This is why with the Defender ignoring the rear spare wheel that it is located where it is because of towing equipment.
I know on the front of mine my spots are close but not close enough to obscure, any closer though and that'd be no good.
Post #328863 6th May 2014 11:02pm
lambert.the.farmer

It just seems highly contrary to me that something can be conforming to a legally binding standard and at the same time be breaking the law. Not that I really care as I have a detachable one anyway. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #328867 6th May 2014 11:14pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
The scenario set by Lambert was that a motorist goes out, buys a type approved tow bar and fits it to their car and it obscures the number plate.

The type approved tow bar manufacturer would not know exactly which vehicle it will be fitted to and the exact location of the number plate. Simple reason being that the tow bar manufacturer makes a single type approved tow bar to fit as many different cars as possible. It is up to the owner/ driver of the vehicle to ensure that the vehicle is road legal.

Brendan
Post #328869 6th May 2014 11:44pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
On my BM the factory removable tow bar obscures the number plate and has to be removed for the MOT DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #328878 7th May 2014 6:01am
lambert.the.farmer

leeds wrote:
The scenario set by Lambert was that a motorist goes out, buys a type approved tow bar and fits it to their car and it obscures the number plate.

The type approved tow bar manufacturer would not know exactly which vehicle it will be fitted to and the exact location of the number plate. Simple reason being that the tow bar manufacturer makes a single type approved tow bar to fit as many different cars as possible. It is up to the owner/ driver of the vehicle to ensure that the vehicle is road legal.

Brendan

I fail to believe that. Sure a good proportion of bits may be standard but I can't accept that the mounting points of too many cars are identical especially when different iteration of the same car don't have commonality over time. The manufacturer of the towbar will know very specifically how each one fits. All very backwards Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #328884 7th May 2014 6:38am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
The ultimate position of a tow bar, regardless of how it's mounted, is pretty much fixed, i.e. central to rear, 400-450mm above ground, etc., so any problem with the numberplate is a failing of the design of the car rather than the tow bar. It's difficult to see how a tow bar manufacturer could be reasonably expected to accomodate that.

Tow bar type approval is all about its' strength, anyway. It's still the owners' responsibility to make sure that the vehicle is still road legal after fitting one.

It's a similar situation to winch bumpers. It's common sense that if a replacement version no longer accomodates the front numberplate then it has to be moved to somewhere appropriate. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #328892 7th May 2014 7:49am
leeds

United Kingdom 
From Witter towbar website

Quote:

Does the vehicle have a low rear registration plate?

Is there a rear door mounted spare wheel?

Are there different bumpers on different model variants?

What engine options are available and what is the location and size of the exhaust for the different engines?

Are there different ride heights?

Is there a model with self levelling suspension?

Brendan
Post #328895 7th May 2014 8:20am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Re: obscured number plate
lambert.the.farmer wrote:
I know it's illegal to obscure the plate

Actually, obscuring the plate is only half of it:

"faded, dirty, delaminated, deteriorated or obscured, (for example by a towbar) so that it is likely to be misread or is not easily legible by a person standing approximately 20 metres to the front/rear of the vehicle"

it's the likely to be misread or is not easily legible element from 20m that's the key.

Always wondered how this one made it to market or maybe comes with a warning about fitting to the right-hand side only:

whilst this one looks to meet the requirement:

Click image to enlarge
Post #329046 7th May 2014 4:20pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
The latter one looks like it obscures the lights, unless it's outside the line of the body Confused Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #329054 7th May 2014 4:33pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
The rear ladder I used to have which was genuine (now sold) used to go right around the extremity of the plate and lights so nothing was obscured.
Like this :

Still a pain though, I didn't but if you wanted NAS spec lights you'd be screwed also as the two would foul.
Post #329061 7th May 2014 4:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1