↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Winch Refurb / Conversion from steel to synthetic
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Waldo

United Kingdom 
Winch Refurb / Conversion from steel to synthetic
So I got myself a winch with my Defender when I brought it.
Due to the insurers being thieves I couldn't install it until now (I've turned 21)
Now as I had the winch removed by Nene and a fresh standard bumper installed it arrived all packaged up and hasn't been unwrapped since.
I have unwrapped it this weekend and found I've got myself a Superwinch EPi9.0 which I believe is quite a decent winch from what research I've done this afternoon.

Unfortunately one of the lugs on one of the "control box cover" into which the bolt goes to secure it to the motors/gearbox has fractured off.
Now I've found myself a replacement for this from first four however my question is can i convert this winch to run with a synthetic line.
Do i need to change the drum to do this or is it just a simple swap.

I intend to get all of the externals bits blasted and then powder coated so it looks like new.
However if I don't need to change the drum should I steer clear of getting this coated so nothing ends up getting on the inside of it and interfering with the engagement?

Also is there anything else in particular I should avoid powder coating or anything in particular to look out for when stripping and rebuilding.
Unfortunately I don't have a winch remote yet so can't connect it up to the Land Rover and see if it runs okay.

Photo of broken control box cover

Click image to enlarge
 Defender 90 XS TD5 (03 Reg)
Post #324964 20th Apr 2014 9:26pm
Rakthi

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Stornoway Grey
Swapping from steel cable to synthetic is just a simple swap. No need for a new drum. You will need the fairlead for the synthetic rope though. The one with the rollers will damage the rope.
Post #325005 21st Apr 2014 1:36am
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Winch remote for sale in the classifieds section
Post #325012 21st Apr 2014 7:35am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Autoairride

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Auto Chawton White
With the powder coating, make sure you advise whoever does it for you to mask the areas that didn't originally have coating. I had some winch parts coated once and they coated everywhere! I had to have them stripped, then masked and recoated.

Why are original coatings on winches so poor? They seem to start corroding in no time at all! Warn and Superwinch included. Even regular coatings of wd40 only slows the process down. It still happens... As always, I know it's down to the bottom line.... Rolling Eyes
Post #325016 21st Apr 2014 8:49am
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
On my Warn winch, I dismantled it and sprayed it with wheel paint (the silver is very close to the original Warn colour). It's been very good so far, seems much tougher than the original paint.

Cheers

Simon

Ps I also swapped to Dyneema synthetic rope. I just rubbed the drum with sandpaper to remove any rough bits, also fitted an aluminium hawse. Bought both from goodwinch.com.
Post #325021 21st Apr 2014 9:13am
Waldo

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the advice everyone.
I have already taken apart the cable guide and tidied it up so that may be for sale soon.

I'll set up a thread. or maybe use this one to track my progress.
Will probably be going for a very heavy duty powder coat that hopefully won't chip. Defender 90 XS TD5 (03 Reg)
Post #325080 21st Apr 2014 2:53pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Warn powdercoat seems to redefine appalling, and the corrosion resistance of their aluminium-based seems very poor in my experience. I've never had any issues of this kind with my Huskys, which are all much older than my XD9000i.

You get what you pay for.
Post #325211 22nd Apr 2014 12:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1