↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Fitting a Retainagroup Security Marking Kit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Charliefox

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Corris Grey
Fitting a Retainagroup Security Marking Kit
Thanks to the forum I'm now in possession of a Retainagroup vehicle security marking kit Thumbs Up

I appreciate that some forms of vehicle security shouldn't be discussed on an open forum, for obvious reasons. Security marking is different and clearly only effective as a preventative measure if the potential thief can see the vehicle is plastered in etching and marks etc.

With this in mind, would some forum members who've already fitted the kit mind giving me a few pointers please?

I understand where the glass etching and "self-destruct" labels need to be fitted. I'm less sure regarding the UV stencils on panels.

Have people stencilled externally straight onto a waxed panel? Or have you marked inside wings / bonnets etc? Is the UV fluid invisible once dry?

What about the interior trim in terms of location?

Any help / pointers / tips gratefully received Smile

I should also say that I've trawled through the search function and found plenty of references to the benefits of using the kit but no mention of it being installed - if I've missed a thread a pointer would be helpful, thanks. Chris
Post #281603 12th Nov 2013 5:17pm
DAZ110

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Barolo Black
I assume you have read this:

http://www.retainagroup.com/uv-marking.html

and this:

http://www.retainagroup.com/window-marking.html

Stick the RETAINAGROUP UV ‘SELF-ETCH’ LABELS on panels/trim where ever you think is best! (I put mine under the bonnet/inside door edges near the lock position/on the bulkhead under the bonnet/ on my seats, as I have recaro seats, and on the dash edge)

.....and don't forget to register the details on the retainagroup website when you have finished.
Hope this helps. Thumbs Up
Post #281629 12th Nov 2013 6:46pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
you have a pm Thumbs Up
Post #281643 12th Nov 2013 8:03pm
Charliefox

Thanks for the replies so far.

I'm familiar with the kit and it's tech spec from their website. I'm just curious about Defender specific locations for some of the stickers and stencils, particularly interior trim.

I'd rather the truck didn't look like a 2 year old had got hold of a price labeling gun and a box of orange smarties Shocked Laughing Chris
Post #281649 12th Nov 2013 8:19pm
jimbob7

Your gonna need to remove any wax/protection on your car before etching,you can buy panel wipes from Halfords for this.
Not used Retaina Group stuff but used plenty of Datatag (same thing if not better) in the past,With Datatag you get low-tack, dot matrix stickers for etching paint/glass,you can use the sticker for more than one application,I use them with a flat drill bit (by hand not in a drill,doh!) to mark all the non-painted plastic,(takes a while...er, actually ages),then when it comes to etching paint/glass,etc.I used each sticker a few times before they became unusable so was able to mark loads more stuff. I also used Alphadot on mi Defender thats even easier to apply. Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #281654 12th Nov 2013 8:25pm
party monkey

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Cairns Blue
@Charliefox - am I right in assuming the sticker/stencils you're referring too are the ones that typically are fitting on the plastic trim and then dab the UV fluid on ????

On the basis that's the case, I put some in subtle overt positions around the plastic trim on the dash. I then put the rest in more covert locations. Mine's a td5 so the locations are probably not much use to you really. Overall, I didn't want the inside of the truck looking like a half arsed Panini sticker album.

Couple of tips.... On the UV fluid plastic trim sticker/stencils. Don't overdo the fluid otherwise the sticker/stencil bubbles up and distorts and looks a right dogs breakfast. Can't think how I may know that Embarassed

Secondly, it doesn't hurt to make a note of all the locations you've marked just if the worst happens and you subsequently got to prove ownership of the motor or the marked panels. Even if the stickers have gone, the UV trace will still be there. Plod may not want to spend all day poking around with a black light, so being able to point them in the right direction quickly may help.

Clearly the pack will only do the major panels and trim pieces, so it may be worth considering something like a Select DNA/Smart Water/Datatag etc marking system that uses the microdots for a more comprehensive marking session.

As an aside, from the work done on this in the past, I seem to recall the datatag etching stickers were made by Retainagroup. Might have changed now though. Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #281770 12th Nov 2013 11:58pm
Charliefox

Jon - thanks for that, really helpful Thumbs Up Chris
Post #281785 13th Nov 2013 8:31am
churchy

2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Apologies for refreshing this thread but in light of recent events can anyone recommend any of the products mentioned?

Many thanks.
Post #323358 12th Apr 2014 7:12pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Thumbs Up

These have been in the business for a very long time in the motorcycling fraternity and as a result have a good track record and excellent reputation.

http://www.datatag.co.uk/4x4.php If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #323359 12th Apr 2014 7:18pm
churchy

2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Great thank you - just emailed them as the dealer locator is not working on their website.
Post #323362 12th Apr 2014 7:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1