Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Bulkhead Welding
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Bulkhead Welding
Hi guys,

My bulkhead is showing signs of needing repair on both sides. (One side is see through Shocked)

Does anybody have any recommendations for getting this sorted out local to Kent or will I do a better job myself?

I don't want to replace the whole bulkhead as 90% of it is good for now, but the top has been particularly neglected by its previous owners and should really be done soon so was thinking a patch repair would do?
Post #322365 8th Apr 2014 12:55pm
Mountain_man

Wales 
You will do a much better job if you do most of the work yourself, even if you hire in a mobile welder to stitch it together. I just did one for a friend and to do the job properly the door will need to come off (order new bolts and captive nuts as you will end up drilling them out!), the windscreen needs to come out, which means headlining out, top of dash out, instruments out, steering wheel off...... Your truck will need to be off the road for a few days at least so need somewhere to work undercover... Remove all rusty material back to good and get a nice edge to work to. Buy the repair sections as big as possible and cut to shape. Consider tacking a flange behind the join to save trying to butt weld 1mm plate. Weld it all up, smooth down with flap disc, finish and paint.

Then spend half a day rebuilding the truck!

OR

stuff newspaper in the hole, cover with filler/fibreglass, paint, and sell it on quick to the next sucker (you would not be the first Evil or Very Mad )!!!!!
Post #322368 8th Apr 2014 1:17pm
Leenorthants

United Kingdom 
H
You can get the windscreen off without taking any of the dash out!
Post #322424 8th Apr 2014 5:47pm
Mountain_man

Wales 
Probably. But it is easier to remove the padded top, especially if you are going to be cutting and welding in the vacinity. The one I did needed patching on the inner side of the bulkhead as well as the outer so maybe that is why I removed the dash top. That, and I had to replace a wheel box on the wipers at the same time.

The other problem I had removing the windscreen was that it was impossible to get it to clear the 2 locating pins unless I loosened off the roof to door pillar bolts and jacked the roof up a little. Not sure if that is the proper way but it was the only way I could get the windscreen frame out.
Post #322435 8th Apr 2014 6:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1