Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Blue sea USB socket in cubby box
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
allyjbull

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Blue sea USB socket in cubby box
Hi folks.
I've decided to de-clutter the dash on the 110 by moving the ipod into the cubby box. My plan is to make a small shelf with a ipod size recess in it to lie the ipod in. this will then be flush with the lid of the cubby to stop the ipod sliding about.
I plan to run the ipod to head unit connector up under the dash and also want to have a charging facility for the ipod in the cubby.
I like the idea of a USB port such as these:
http://www.mobilecentre.co.uk/index.php?ma...cts_id=792

The easiest way to power this would be a direct fused wire from the battery but i'm concerned that when other drivers use the vehicle they wont unplug the charger and I may well forget and so may flatten the battery, or will the drain of the charger not be that significant?
I'd like to use a power source from the ignition side to prevent this but on the new 110 2.2 i'm unsure of the best way to go about things.
I had thought about using the live from the back of the cigar lighter and running the wire back to the cubby or is there an easier shorter route?
I'm fairly confident electrical wise normally but with a new car i'm just wanting it right and not to have visible wires everywhere.
My other idea was to do something similar but fit a new dash glove box like this:
http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/review/product/list/id/23/category/14/
would there be much space in one of these to fit a plug plus wiring and ipod in?
Going for the cubby box idea at the minute so any help or better ideas much appreciated!
Cheers
AJ
Post #320971 2nd Apr 2014 6:46am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Hi AJ, do OT worry about unplugging the iPod from the Blue Sea USB, the parasitic draw on these is about 15 milliamperes so it will take quite a while to flatten the main Defender battery. Once the iPod battery is fully charged then all you have is the rather small parasitic current draw.

The Blue Sea is rated at 52.1 amp max so fuse it at between 4-5 amps. Take wiring through bottom or lower back via a grommet to which ever seat box your secondary fuse box is located.

You will also find the Blue Sea USB on our website as well.

Brendan

Last edited by leeds on 2nd Apr 2014 8:17am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #320975 2nd Apr 2014 7:59am
Macpaul

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Loire Blue
Tim at Mobilecentre fitted one of these in my 110 Td5 on Monday and it is a good, solid bit of kit with a decent fixing on the backplate to hold it in place securely. The USB ports are nice and tight too and a tiny green LED shows when it's livened up.

I am not an auto- electrician but I think ithe socket is rated at 2.1 amps total. So, if your battery is say 75 Amp Hr, that means you could have something plugged in consuming that current for about 35 hours before the battery was dead.

In reality, the plugged in device will presumably be charged very, very much quicker than that and occasionally just top itself up, so even if it was permanently live, I cannot see an ipod knackering a bloodly great battery!

My USB socket replaces the in-dash cigarette lighter, so switched live, but I have a permanent live 12v socket on a tunnel tray fed from the bulkhead fusebox with wires running under the mat.

I'm sure Tim would chat to you if you called. He' on here sometimes.

Good luck,

Simon. 2003 Td5 110 Hardtop
Now a 2013 110 USW too.
Post #320978 2nd Apr 2014 8:12am
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
If you want to take a feed from somewhere to relay the power from the battery so it only comes on with the ignition then the easiest you can use is the feed to the cigarette lighter socket, this is where I've taken mine from. Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #320984 2nd Apr 2014 9:08am
allyjbull

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Thanks for the replies guys.
That's made my mind up ill go with live fused feed from the battery, nice and easy to do. I'll put a post up on here when I get round to doing it, might not be for a while tho as the sheep have started lambing, be lucky if I even drive the landi for the next 3 weeks. Im a member of staff less as well so gonna be stupid busy!!
AJ
Post #321004 2nd Apr 2014 11:01am
custom90

United Kingdom 
davidwhittaker wrote:
If you want to take a feed from somewhere to relay the power from the battery so it only comes on with the ignition then the easiest you can use is the feed to the cigarette lighter socket, this is where I've taken mine from.

Very true, I have done this too but made a little loom that is in-line so that the original plug and wiring is not altered at all and simply un-plugs if ever you had to.
Not a fan of ever cutting OE where at all possible.
Post #321010 2nd Apr 2014 11:10am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Consider putting a 12v socket on the inside of your glovebox and take a feed from the cig 12v socket
Post #321026 2nd Apr 2014 12:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1