↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > My 2001 TD5 needs some work and advice!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Maxxed_Ross

Scotland 2001 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Cobar Blue
My 2001 TD5 needs some work and advice!
Hi all

first off apologies for my lack of activity lately, it's been a bit of a mad year Confused

I'm still pulling my hair out over this abused 2001 Tomb Raider 110 that I bought 3 years ago. So far I've managed to cure most of the mechanical issues - but I'm stuck on the last few.

Firstly I need to replace my steering swivels as they're both well beyond the point of no return. Where can I source a full replacement kit? So far I've only been able to locate the odd part online and I have no idea what parts will need replaced. I've managed to source some Ashcroft drive shafts, drive flanges and CV joints so they will be going in at the same time.

Secondly my shocks are starting to leak at the back, so it makes sense to upgrade the whole lot. Since fitting the winch and ARB bumper the nose is sitting hell of a low, so I'd like to beef it up a bit so it sits level. I've given up looking at suspension kits because I've no idea what I actually need. Any suggestions are welcome!

Finally I've bought a post-2002 dashboard for it to update the inside a bit. Is there somewhere I can get the dash loom so that I can splice it into the original? Again I don't have any part numbers so I'm not too sure what I actually need.

any help with the above is greatly appreciated!
Post #310590 22nd Feb 2014 3:58pm
Phatcat

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
Any of the mail order sites will do the complete swivel kits.
Suspension has become a bit more technical over the years, possibly over complicated in some cases.
I had the same issues with mine when I loaded up with accessories. I just fitted HD springs and gas shocks, I'm happy with the handling on and off road, and it sits well, though some may find it over hard.
Post #310600 22nd Feb 2014 4:53pm
Phoenix90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Swivels: As Phatcat has said, any of the online providers will sell you the parts (Britcar, Craddocks, Paddocks, and LRdirect to name but a few). Be careful buying 'kits' though, they tend to include, or be made up of, blue box parts. Normally better off to buy the parts individually and only use genuine or OEM. May as well re-furbish the front ends entirely as you are in there, so do the bearings (hub and swivel) and brake rotors (if they are anywhere near needing to be replaced) at the same time.

Suspension; If you were happy with the ride before then just maybe just replace with genuine / OEM. On the age of the vehicle the springs are probably tired and starting to sag so just replacing them with LR ones will probably bring the nose up. If not you can upgrade to Heavy Duty springs on the front. It may be an opportunity to upgrade the shocks, do a search, loads of different views on Koni, OME etc. etc... If you've never felt you needed it then i'd stay away from lifting it, just changes the handling and can lead to trouble if not done properly.

Can't help much with the dash i'm afraid.
Post #310646 22nd Feb 2014 7:58pm
Jimb1978

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
I rebuilt the front axle (excluding diff, shafts and cv's) for around £500. This was using all genuine or OEM parts.....bearings, swivels, discs and pads, swivel pins etc...etc...

It really wasn't worth not doing stuff. If you are stripping it down you might as well do the whole lot. Goes without saying that excluded labour as it was me doing the job.

I second the opinion on springs and shocks. My td5 is a 2002 on 75k...still on original suspension. I reckon land rover know what they are doing in this department, so I will be replacing like for like.

As for your dash, you own a very sought after vehicle...if not so much now, but in 10 years time. I would be tempted to keep it as original as possible.
Post #310716 22nd Feb 2014 10:49pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
For free advice try d44 or Gwynn lewis

They can advise acouple of options depending on your price range

Avoid cheap springs as I know plenty that have rusted and sagged within 6 months on standard cars.
Post #311117 23rd Feb 2014 11:22pm
Maxxed_Ross

Scotland 2001 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Cobar Blue
thanks for all the reply lads

I've found myself on the Devon 4x4 site quite a bit recently and I did notice that the swivel kits on there were Britpart items... Ideally I would like to go genuine. I did notice they do a gaiter kit for them too - would that be worth getting to protect the new ones? I did the wheel bearings last year so they should be ok. Brakes could probably be with a refresh - but that's easy enough to do later once my credit card has recovered a bit. I was looking at Terrafirma steering bars too.

Suspension really has me in a pickle. I was looking at Terrafirma for a while, but I've heard they are prone to go rusty quite quickly. Then I was looking at Old man Emu, but since there was so little info on what dampers I actually needed I gave up with a sore head. I regularly use the roof rack fully loaded for camping, so beefing up the springs a bit wouldn't hurt. I'm not wanting to lift it as my girlfriend has enough getting into it just now as it is!

As for the dash, I'm not normally one to modify a limited edition car (I've got an RB320 too, so know how to future-proof a classic) - but with a Defender I believe an upgraded Tomb Raider won't be worth much less than an original. To be honest it's nearly falling apart as it is.
Post #312144 27th Feb 2014 8:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1