↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Fitting a Alpine window on a CSW110
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
charliebaja

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Zermatt Silver
Fitting a Alpine window on a CSW110
Hi Guys just wanted to say that fitting a alpine window on a 110 can be quite difficult especially if you don't have one of those special seal tools!

I searched on the forum but sadly could not find the best method to remove and replace the seal.

Now my 110 is letting in water somewhere along the RHS roof line to side panel and when i inspected the seal on the alpine window it was all perished and cracked, so i wanted to fit a nice snug new one.
Removal of the seal is the easy bit, by pulling the secondary retention seal the window and outer seal becomes very loose and with a little pressure from the inside you can carefully pop the glass out, followed by removal of the main seal.

Next clean all around the edge of the frame with soapy water and remove any old grime. I then rubbed vaseline all around the cutout, which enabled the seal to slide on alot easier, however it still takes a little amount of time to fit when you are doing this for the first time around. You are then ready for the glass to slide in, this should be pretty easy but if you are having any issues with it sliding in, I used a little bit of soap to help it slide into the channel. I started by placing the glass into the most rear of the seal.so that if i had any problems getting the final section of the seal around the glass I could stand on the floor behind the driver seat, enabling me to see more of what was going on, however a small step ladder is very useful to use here as well.

Once the glass is fitted and nice and snug, it is time to fit the retention seal down the middle of the outer seal to prevent the glass slipping out. This is where the special tool (shown below) is used. You need to find the ideal shape within the kit for this seal, and i chose the one shown. Slide the seal through the loop of wire and then proceed to push the tool down the middle of the outer seal. This will part the edges of it and place the retention seal inside the lips. If you are having any sliding issues, some liquid soap is useful. Place quite a bit of pressure on the tool and the seal should slide it all snug.

I hope that this makes sense and I am sorry if its a little repetitive, but I don't often write descriptive how too's!!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #311973 26th Feb 2014 10:19pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Thumbs Up I'm going to be replacing my seals when I get the roof painted sometime soon and I'm thinking of turning the seals so the insert is inside the cabin. Has anyone done this before or heard of a reason not to? My reason for thinking of doing this is so the seal sits a lot more flush to the roof.
Post #311982 26th Feb 2014 10:52pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I think you may find that the curve of the roof closes up the slot in the seal too much for the fillet strip to be inserted on the inside Confused Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #311993 26th Feb 2014 11:23pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Yeah I'd thought about that, I'll give it a quick go and see what happens, if it's too hard I'll put it in as normal Mr. Green just need to get some free time to book it in for paint now Big Cry
Post #312026 27th Feb 2014 1:16am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1