↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Airbox propeller and dust control
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Thanks - that's the jobby Thumbs Up I only had a pdf with some other stuff on it Rolling Eyes

Did you check your PMs?

Matt Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #181269 2nd Nov 2012 12:53pm
me@td5.org

2000 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
That a Hyclone. It adds 10mpg to your fuel economy...
Post #181405 2nd Nov 2012 7:57pm
pope10001

United Kingdom 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Zermatt Silver
If only it did! That would be great. I noticed absolutely no difference on my 200Tdi.
Post #181546 3rd Nov 2012 7:42am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
I think the idea of that is that the air spins the result being that the centrifugal force created throws and dust and dirt particals to the outside and hence they drop out of the main air flow and into the bottom of the filter box rather than being sucked directly into the filter hence prolonging filter life in dusty conditions, works sort of like a dyson vacuum.

Most large plant equipment inductction systems have cyclonic filters ahead of the paper or foam main filter.

However for anyone wanting more air flow (due to tuning aspirations) and who is not using thier landy in dusty conditions may consider it to be worth removing it because it is also likely to be another restriction in the induction system. (would be interesting to see what a flow bench would say)

if it works as described above the only risk to removing it is that you may have to replace your air filer element more often when operating your vehicle in dusty conditions, a good mod either way might be a vacuum indicator either a gauge in the cab or one of the simple re settable plunger ones that indicated when your air filter needs changing this may actually save money as most vehicles are probably having filters changed more often than required.

put filter minder in e/bay or google and some should come up DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy

Last edited by LR90XS2011 on 22nd Feb 2014 7:41am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #181548 3rd Nov 2012 8:05am
ZeDefender

Nicely put Thumbs Up

I suppose it's because LR expect Defenders to be used in a wide variety of conditions so every gizmo is in there, even if it's not required by every user. I still wonder if it has any effect on water though...

I will be removing mine but not cutting down the airbox yet, as that would be obvious to the dealer for warranty issues. Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #181552 3rd Nov 2012 8:30am
LR90XS2011

thank you,

I think I might buy a filter minder myself once the car is 3 years old and I will service it myself especially as Im only doing 4000 miles a year. I might not actually need to change the filter very often at all. At work we maintain 106 DMU rail vehicles and filters are only changed when the filter minder tells us to

all the best Rob DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

Post #181562 3rd Nov 2012 9:02am
ZeDefender

Do you mean something like this?
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=85-2445
Presumably you just drill a hole in the top of the airbox and stick it in?
Measures vacuum pressure downstream of the filter? Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #181571 3rd Nov 2012 9:10am
LR90XS2011

Click image to enlarge

exactly,
it needs to be sited somewhere between the filter and the turbo inlet (somewhere not too hot) or you can get a remote one that has a thin vacuum pipe to it then the pipe is sited between the filter and the turbo inlet and the gauge can go anywhere you want, however one like that is the simplest solution.
that one is £27 over here on e/bay from K and N , I think thiers are re-branded from a company in the USA

WORDS OF THE WEB www.filterminder.com

The Filter Minder® is installed on the air cleaner or air induction piping so that it has access to clean filtered air (between air filter and engine).

The air filter service indicator is a simple device that accurately measures the air induction system filter restriction. It measures and remembers the highest restriction at maximum air flow, which is called full load condition. This condition occurs during hard acceleration, or while pulling a trailer, etc.

The indicator is easy to read. As the air filter plugs, and restriction increases, the yellow position indicator moves in the clear window and locks at several points. When it reaches and locks in the red zone, the air filter should be changed and the indicator reset to zero. Reset the indicator by pushing the yellow reset at the end of the indicator.

Another type of air filter service indicator is the Filter Minder® Single Position Service Indicator. The clear window turns red when maximum recommended restriction has been reached.

Every air induction filter system has a clean filter or initial restriction reading. Depending on air flow volume, filter media, and air filter size, there may not be enough restriction to show a reading on the gauge with a new filter, or the position indicator may move one or two positions. Do not be alarmed if there is some restriction with a new filter as this is not unusual.

Air filters usually show low restriction through most of their service life. As the air filter nears the end of available service life, filter restriction will increase more rapidly, and the yellow position indicator on the Filter Minder® will move more rapidly towards the red zone. High humidity or rainy conditions may slightly increase air filter restriction.

The Filter Minder® is calibrated in inches of water vacuum per the engine manufacturer's recommendations.

Use of the Filter Minder® helps maximize filter service life, prevents excess fuel usage from overly restricted filters, and saves on operational costs. DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

Post #181572 3rd Nov 2012 9:18am
ZeDefender

That will fit very nicely on the airbox lid facing towards the inside Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #181600 3rd Nov 2012 10:24am
LR90XS2011

Thumbs Up DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

Post #181616 3rd Nov 2012 11:36am
ZeDefender

Couldn't figure out how to get the sodding airbox off, so moved the intake pipe out the way a bit and got at the propeller thing with some long pliers. 10 minutes of destruction later and obstruction gone Mr. Green Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #181682 3rd Nov 2012 5:19pm
speedymarktd6

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Epsom Green
Did you notice any difference ?
Post #181701 3rd Nov 2012 5:54pm
ZeDefender

Car's a bit lighter Laughing

Haven't had the chance to test yet as wife had be doing the garden Rolling Eyes
Have to get it ready for a big Guy Fawkes party next week Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #181734 3rd Nov 2012 7:19pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
thank you for the pics! i was wondering where it was! Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #183079 7th Nov 2012 11:25pm
LR90XS2011

LR90XS2011 wrote:

Click image to enlarge

exactly,
it needs to be sited somewhere between the filter and the turbo inlet (somewhere not too hot) or you can get a remote one that has a thin vacuum pipe to it then the pipe is sited between the filter and the turbo inlet and the gauge can go anywhere you want, however one like that is the simplest solution.
that one is £27 over here on e/bay from K and N , I think thiers are re-branded from a company in the USA

WORDS OF THE WEB www.filterminder.com

The Filter Minder® is installed on the air cleaner or air induction piping so that it has access to clean filtered air (between air filter and engine).

The air filter service indicator is a simple device that accurately measures the air induction system filter restriction. It measures and remembers the highest restriction at maximum air flow, which is called full load condition. This condition occurs during hard acceleration, or while pulling a trailer, etc.

The indicator is easy to read. As the air filter plugs, and restriction increases, the yellow position indicator moves in the clear window and locks at several points. When it reaches and locks in the red zone, the air filter should be changed and the indicator reset to zero. Reset the indicator by pushing the yellow reset at the end of the indicator.

Another type of air filter service indicator is the Filter Minder® Single Position Service Indicator. The clear window turns red when maximum recommended restriction has been reached.

Every air induction filter system has a clean filter or initial restriction reading. Depending on air flow volume, filter media, and air filter size, there may not be enough restriction to show a reading on the gauge with a new filter, or the position indicator may move one or two positions. Do not be alarmed if there is some restriction with a new filter as this is not unusual.

Air filters usually show low restriction through most of their service life. As the air filter nears the end of available service life, filter restriction will increase more rapidly, and the yellow position indicator on the Filter Minder® will move more rapidly towards the red zone. High humidity or rainy conditions may slightly increase air filter restriction.

The Filter Minder® is calibrated in inches of water vacuum per the engine manufacturer's recommendations.

Use of the Filter Minder® helps maximize filter service life, prevents excess fuel usage from overly restricted filters, and saves on operational costs.

managed to get a suitable alternative from E/BAY http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/bmclearance?_trksid=p2047675.l2559 FOR 1.99 BARGAIN

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Defen...1390486779

DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

Post #310483 22nd Feb 2014 7:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12