↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > !st night stop
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Spookytooth

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
!st night stop
Looking for some advice from those of you who have used the Harwich Esbjerg ferry please. I am travelling up North at the end of May (Ferry booked for 27th arrives 28th at 1pm) via the E4 motorwway and starting to book my overnight stops. My question is simply where did you get to on the 1st night around 7'ish? I have no idea how busy the Danish roads are in the afternoon or whether the 2 sea bridges are bottlenecks and I am caught between wanting to get a good distance under my belt but not arriving too late at night. Plenty of distance calculators on the web, however, they are just simple automated calculators. Other option of course is just to sleep in Defender at a service stop. Thanks 110 SW Aintree Green
Post #308029 14th Feb 2014 2:32pm
Phoenix90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Hey,

Ferry gets you in around 13:00 local time, depending on speed of sailing, they get you off pretty quick, you then have a few options.

Whenever I have driven them, the roads through Denmark and into Sweden are fine. Around Copenhagen is busier, but it's never been bad when I have been through. That said, there are a fair few road works just west of Copenhagen on the E20 at the moment which may slow you down (not much though).

Around Stockholm (if you go past) can be pretty busy.

The bridges / tunnel are both excellent and certainly never been a bottleneck for me, they are very impressive though.

If you keep going to Sweden then Jonkoping is a good distance (about 6-7 hours driving from Esbjerg) Linkoping is a little bit further on (about another hour). Both have good campsites available with nice cabins.

Alternatively, you could go up to Frederikshavn and catch the Frederikshavn-Oslo ferry (can work out cheaper than driving it), timing for that is pretty much perfect. You can also get the Copenhagen-Oslo ferry, but timings are a bit tighter.

Good luck Thumbs Up
Post #308188 14th Feb 2014 10:33pm
Spookytooth

Thanks for getting back, Jonkoping looks like a good target, although it now makes my planned following nights stop of Gavle look a little too close so need to work on that now! Also beginning to think I ought to drop the idea of pre booking and go back to the usual route of camping or Landy in emergencies. Interesting your comments about camping huts, read quite a lot about them, did you find them readily available or once again did you need to pre book? 110 SW Aintree Green
Post #308237 15th Feb 2014 8:45am
Phoenix90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
From Jonkoping I would head for Sundsvall or Ornskoldsvik the next night if going up the east coast and then Gallvare the next (depending on how far and how quickly you want to go North).

We normally pre-book, but that is because we travel in the middle of winter and want cabins, but even then when we change our plans at the last minute we have very few problems finding places.

The camping culture over there is massive, so you will find campsites, normally with cabins if you want them, pretty much everywhere.

By the time you go you should be getting into the main season and most places will be open so if you plan to use canvas I wouldn't worry too much about booking, just have some rough ideas about where you want to head. Asking at the fuel stations can normally get you pointed to a nearby campsite in the worst case.

Also, don't forget to get a camping card before you go Thumbs Up
Post #308245 15th Feb 2014 9:18am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Don't forget that wild camping is allowed in Sweden and Norway. Whenever we have travelled out there, we have tended to do a couple of nights wild camping and then a campsite.
Barbara
Post #310201 21st Feb 2014 11:02am
Spookytooth

Thanks, good call on stopovers, led to believe the run up the Swedish E4 is pretty boring so may as well keep driving (I actually enjoy long hours at the wheel). Just been reading up on the importance of getting the camping card which I had missed. Wild camping seems actively encouraged over there, however, kinda like access to shower block facilities nowadays (Will be my 60th birthday present to myself) and getting excited about staying in huts. Always difficult to keep some sense of adventure and not let it turn into a holiday. 110 SW Aintree Green
Post #310223 21st Feb 2014 12:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1