↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > Certificate of origin?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ppad

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Certificate of origin?
My first new topic, be kind..
OK here's the thing.
I need a certificate of manufacture / origin for a 2005 90 that I bought privately 9 months ago.
How do I get one?

Back a step: It has been declared by the Swiss authorities that I live here, so my TD5 that I drove here at Christmas has to be registered (Swiss plates etc) and a big part of that is money (being Switzerland).
One of the chunks - and it's hundreds of quid - is because it is an alien vehicle.
But if I have got a certificate of origin or certificate of conformity showing that it was built in the EU to EU standards (at the time) then that alien fee is not applicable.
Now all Landys are made in the UK .. try telling the Swiss when money is involved - I need proof! The V5 doesn't say where it was built.

What do I do? Sold the much modified 110 2.8, in Oz
Brought the 90 home from Switzerland ...
Post #301553 23rd Jan 2014 6:15pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Surely the VIN No. should do the trick, it provides information as to bulid country, the build date can be traced from it and also gives details of the build such as engine, body type, gearbox etc.
Post #301561 23rd Jan 2014 6:54pm
ppad

It's not quite good enough - Google up certificate of conformity for example and the UK DVLC says the same thing: "a copy of the European Certificate of Conformity (CofC) -- " is needed if you want to import a car into the UK it has a whole web site devoted to importing cars into the UK.

So.. The Swiss need a form.
A copy of, or a note stating, or the EU cert. of conformity for that range of vehicles - or that VIN number range

- my German colleagues here have shown me what they have from Fiat or Alfa Romeo.

It's an A4 sheet with impressively long foreign words and some stamps.
And a couple of indecipherable signatures of course.

Surely someone somewhere can make me one of them? If you can build a R380 box on a Sunday afternoon ... Sold the much modified 110 2.8, in Oz
Post #301568 23rd Jan 2014 7:06pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
I tried to import from UK to CH and in the end gave up and bought a Swiss land rover, although I wanted LHD too, so it was less painful

However since then I have been through the CofC maze, when I imported my truck from CH back to the UK, it took about 3 months in all.

Your best bet is to contact land rover UK customer relations and they should be able to help you. Don't expect the process to be very fast, it's basically a build file for the vehicle.

If you are importing into Switzerland, I would check that you are still allowed due to the emissions. There was a member who tried to import a 2.4 last year and was unable, the rules changed about a week before he tried to import, he ended up selling his truck in the UK then buying another in CH. There are companies in the UK (and probably CH) that can do the job for you. Also, every modification needs to be signed off (kind of TUV approved).

Happy to discuss in more detail ... let me know.
Post #301574 23rd Jan 2014 7:22pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
we used to get COO's with new vehicle purchases, have you tried LR direct through local dealer? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #301641 23rd Jan 2014 10:31pm
sense of adventure

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Galway Green
Pm me an email address and I will send you the required details, it's really very easy[/img]
Post #301647 23rd Jan 2014 10:52pm
ppad

I think the emissions relate to new vehicles - but as ever with the bureaucracy that is Switzerland, if they take a dislike to you, you'll be stuffed.
For the benefit of others .. as I read the rules, 18 month ago they introduced a punitive tax scale on imported cars based on CO2 emissions, basically a Defender is a non starter.
However this does not apply to second hand vehicles, so my 2005 TD5 might be OK.
The Swiss registration is first money (naturally) including 8% VAT and 4% import tax on the book value. This payment goes to customs and gets you a form 13:20 that MFK want at the Strassenverkehrsamt. You get the car checked by a local guy in advance of the city authority check. You get insurance organised, You clean the car immaculately inside and out. they do an MOT check...
and the must have an ECU because they check for any faults by plugging in the ECU
I won't go on ..
the emissions is interesting tho' .. unitl 2103 it was rigorously checked on second hand cars but 99.9% of cars were on book value so now they just trust the cars ECU for any problems ..
It's late and I'm off to bed. If a Defender can be imported by and English speaking pom from Uk and Oz, I'll let you know, Sold the much modified 110 2.8, in Oz
Post #301665 23rd Jan 2014 11:44pm
sense of adventure

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Galway Green
I will send full details including direct email and phone number to Zoe at lr conformity tomorrow when I get to my main computer, if you haven't heard from me by Saturday, buzz me another mail as I may have forgotten as I am stacked out.
Post #301673 24th Jan 2014 12:01am
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hello,

Yes indeed you are correct you will probably need a COC, if you PM me your VIN I can see if one is available for your vehicle.

Many Thanks

Mike
Post #301698 24th Jan 2014 10:03am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Didn't stuff like this used to come in the owner's handbook pack?

Appreciate for a secondhand vehicle several years on, things may go missing, but for the rest of us...
Post #301964 25th Jan 2014 8:35am
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hello Supacat,

That is correct you do not have to pay for a certificate of conformity on a new vehicle. My understanding is that this does come with a new vehicle but if it hasn't then one can be issued free of charge.

Many Thanks

Mike
Post #302518 27th Jan 2014 9:50am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1