↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Ifor Wiliams Alloys
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
custom90

United Kingdom 
As I understand it on a post 1997 licence the trailer wright generally should be no more than 750kg (with slight exceptions and the over all train weight of trailer and towing vehicle no more than 3.5T / 3500kg.
I do appreciate the laws and their coming into being as I know they can be dangerous things.
Sadly where common sense used to be used apparently now we have o have fools laws to protect themselves and from others. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #300896 21st Jan 2014 4:35pm
willyj

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zermatt Silver
kingofthesparks wrote:
willyj wrote:
You are only legally allowed to tow 750kilos without the b+e.

Also not strictly correct

Could you enlighten me? Im on my class 1 course now and all the bumf ive read about it states 750k> = B+E

Would be interesting to know as vosa are keen to pull anyone around here looking young towing more than that.

Wil
Post #300909 21st Jan 2014 5:13pm
Romadog

KoS - Glad you corrected the above so I didnt have to before this thread went too far into many others on here.

P6e trailers are very good and ideal for many tasks, and will last a long time. Are there no pics of alloys on IW website ?
Not a fan of IW trailers otherwise as am not keen on cart spring suspension, but horseboxes are ok, should be for the price !!
Post #300921 21st Jan 2014 5:48pm
kingofthesparks

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
I will try to simplify the towing rules.

1. You can tow a combination upto 3.5t that's vehicle and trailer combined but remember it's maximum weight (plated weight) that counts so a 3.5 t plated trailer that only weighs 400kg empty would class as a 3.5t trailer regardless of load if you don't have b+e , once you get the licence it works on actual weights.
2. Above this you can tow 750kg trailer behind a 3.5 t vehicle regardless (remember though its plated weight)
3. Example you have a 2t car (maximum loaded weight) you can tow a 1.5t trailer (plated weight) obviously providing its within the cars capabilities.
4. The trailer must weigh less than the car ( unless you get b+e)
Post #300949 21st Jan 2014 6:47pm
willyj

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zermatt Silver
Is this to do with the new rule of new trailers have to state maximum weight? And if im reading right... If your car is 2.5 tonne and your trailer is 500k, you can tow 2 tonne without a license as long as it doesnt exceed the MAM of the car?
Post #301035 21st Jan 2014 9:39pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
I stated that a driver who had B + E entitlement on their licence i.e. 'grandfather' rights as a pre 97 driving test could not supervise a post 97 driver towing a large trailer unless they had actually taken and passed the trailer test. This was my understanding of the effect of a Road Traffic Act 09/10.

Reading several websites seemed to back up this impression. Then I found one website which said it was legal! This confused me even further.

So I decided to ask the police the question on their website.

This was the answer I got back after two days

Quote:

Brendan

First of all the person that you are supervising must have category B entitlement. Because you passed your test prior to 1/1/97, you hold category B + E and can therefore supervise a B + E learner providing the other requirements apply. Please see link below:

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q357.htm

The vehicle and trailer must comply with the requirements. Please see information in the link below which may be of interest:

http://www.ntta.co.uk/law/law/dimensions.aspx

If you wish to speak with someone regarding any queries that you may have, you can contact DVLA. Please find contact details in the link below:

https://www.gov.uk/contact-the-dvla

Regards,
PNLD
(HH)

I hate giving out wrong information, which I apologise for.

Brendan
Post #301600 23rd Jan 2014 8:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12