↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Kerosene
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
simond

United Kingdom 
Kerosene
I read in LRO that the Td5 engine was designed to run on Kerosene (AKA Heating Oil, Jet Fuel).

Apparently as a result they sold 100 Td5s to the US Military.

The LRO article was talking to the LR engine designers at the time when Td5 was quite new.

With Kerosene in my heating oil tank, at 34p per litre, and no dye in it, has anyone out there put a Td5 to the test? Clearly such a tax avoidance measure would be illegal, so anyone doing it would clearly be using the vehicle off road Whistle Simon D
Post #11399 29th May 2009 9:04pm
Steve B

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Interesting.

My RGV 250 2 stroke motorbike ran on kerosene once after I filled the tank with the stuff by mistake, started ok when hot but a bit of a struggle to start when cold.

Steve
Post #11401 29th May 2009 10:13pm
waterfox

Argentina 2004 Defender 110 Td5 SW Auto Rimini Red
I've heard of trucks mixing kerosene with diesel in winter to make them easier to start.......
Ch He who laughs last , thinks slowest
Post #12347 25th Jun 2009 6:11pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
The wolfs are sometimes run off Kerosene, but it dramaticaly reduces the life of your engine, so I wouldn't advise it

Glyn
Post #12354 25th Jun 2009 9:35pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
It is a matter of lubricating the injection pump properly. Some brands recommend the use of kerosene in winter up to 30% or so. I would not do it on these high tech common rail pumps. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #12363 25th Jun 2009 11:54pm
Lionel

Australia 
Glynparry25 wrote:
The wolfs are sometimes run off Kerosene, but it dramaticaly reduces the life of your engine, so I wouldn't advise it

Glyn

Do the Wolfs use TD5 engines? I thought it was a version of the 300Tdi - in which case they need some lubricating oil added if kerosene is used.

The TD5 is supposed to be fine on kerosene (or jet fuel), but I think I would add a small amount of oil as well, as the lubricity of kerosene is less than that of diesel fuel

Cheers,

Lionel
Post #15575 17th Sep 2009 12:38am
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Lionel wrote:
Glynparry25 wrote:

Glyn

Do the Wolfs use TD5 engines? I thought it was a version of the 300Tdi - in which case they need some lubricating oil added if kerosene is used.

The TD5 is supposed to be fine on kerosene (or jet fuel), but I think I would add a small amount of oil as well, as the lubricity of kerosene is less than that of diesel fuel

Cheers,

Lionel

Wolf is a normal 300Tdi, well nowerdays a 3-10 times refurbished 300Tdi! As above I would sugest you add it as an additve rather than the main fuel. Not to be funny but TD5 is meant to run on the same as all derv engines- diesel!!!....Like my TD4 it runs better on regular derv than the 'super' type.

Glyn
Post #15578 17th Sep 2009 2:24am
Lionel

Australia 
[/quote]

Not to be funny but TD5 is meant to run on the same as all derv engines- diesel!!!....Like my TD4 it runs better on regular derv than the 'super' type.

Glyn[/quote]

I wasn't being funny either! I was responding to a specific request for information as to whether the TD5 was OK on kerosene.

According to the chief designer of the TD5, Les Wilkins, all the TD5 injector development work was done using kerosene, with NO problems. Hence my comment.

Apparently, the US military used TD5's running on jet fuel successfully (similar to kerosene).

Cheers,

Lionel
Post #15621 18th Sep 2009 5:25am
Ohlins

France 
It has been known,albeit in a 300tdi,to use heating oil diluted with a normal tank of diesel... Whistle

ie

20 litres of heating oil mixed with 5 litres of clean cheap supermarket engine oil for lube

Run normal diesel tank to half full and fill with the heating oil mix...run until empty and fill full again with normal diesel...run until and half full and repeat the process.... Whistle

Just say'in like

Whistle
Post #29933 16th Apr 2010 8:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1