↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > shot blasting - recycling abrasive.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Landy-Novice

United Kingdom 
shot blasting - recycling abrasive.
hello all. Smile

we got a shot blasting business and we have a problem. the price of grit is quite expensive and we need to keep prices down for customers and the main factor is of course the grit! we need a way to collect, filter and return to the pot. we want to use reusable grit which is £1000 per tonne but for it to be viable, its needs to be filtered!

they use to use a huge hover which separates the dust from the grip into 2 bags, and just drop the grit back into the pot. i've been look for such a thing but had no luck. seen many industrial hoovers but i think hovering up around 200KG of grit/dust per hour will very soon kill it?

also found dust deputy. looks interesting but again. hovering large quantities of abrasive will i reckon just kill,

and indeed, dust extraction to remove most of the floating dust will really help. ATM we have one of these. which only has one 4" duct in a corner which is near useless! so were planning to add a length of soil pipe (3meters?) down the center of the booth with lots of holes to aid extraction which will hopefully improve visibility? is there a more efficient way to achieve max potential on our extractor?

next thing is abrasive recovery plants like this one and a low quality animation to demonstrate it here which are fully automatic and look the dogs whatsits but with a price tag of over 7K its a no go.

we are currently reusing the grit which is horrendous! its so dusty you cant see anything and it becomes less abrasive so it takes longer costing time/diesel and electric. use fresh grit is just delightful! cleans surfaces and you can see! Embarassed

does anyone have any suggestions/experiences on recycling grit?

thanks in advance. Very Happy
Post #298211 12th Jan 2014 10:11pm
Landy-Novice

United Kingdom 
no one? Question Crying or Very sad
Post #298430 13th Jan 2014 8:17pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
When I worked for ICI as an apprentice I had to shovel the stuff back into the hopper on the small Shot blast plant.
The larger one just used to suck it up from a trough in the floor.
Dust extraction was when you opened the door. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #298456 13th Jan 2014 8:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1