↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > What to believe...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
TD5_dan

2001 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
No one is saying they are getting it wrong in 2013 mate but it appears they are looking to move to purely premium high spec vehicles which is where the money is no doubt. Don't help the few of us who may just want a work horse with wind up windows and as little to go wrong as possible. 2001 TD5 110 County Station Wagon - sold
1970 Series 2A Station Wagon
1970 Series 2A hard top
1960 Series 2
1972 Series 3
Post #292340 21st Dec 2013 10:10pm
pepekleinhans

South Africa 
I think, even as much as we, Hard core Defender fanes hates it to hear it, but there are more poeple out there that would rather buy a upmarket defender (like the Amarok), that that what there are ou there tthat want to keep the current Defender.

Take the DC100 for example, there where alot more people accross the world that said they like it, than what was said than we hate it.

So Land Rover being a bussiness, and also being so many times in financial trouble, that would rather look at the one that will make to most money compair to the one that doesn't. (sales of 25 000 units Defender per year to sales of lets say 100 000 units of for example the DC100)

As much as I hate it, it is going to happen, Land Rover will follow what the market wants, (100 000 vs 25 000) and I am sure they have done the market research on this. Big Cry 2005 Discovery 3 HSE
2007 2.4 Puma Defender
1976 series 3 with Ford V6 engine
Post #292363 22nd Dec 2013 7:30am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
We've just bought our first Defender,.....and we love her, but......she is a bit "antiquated" , & a bit slow, for everyday use (but we don't use her for that, so it's not a problem for us!),.. in Australia anyway.
But, it wouldn't take much to get her, "up to date", IMHO.
A 3.2L turbo diesel (150KW, 550NM), auto option, & yeah, ya gotta have airbags etc (surely that wouldn't be too hard to do?).
Wouldn't change the body/interior one iota, just the mechanical upgrade so that the power is at least close to the opposition, & I think ya'd see a big spike in sales?
So, 3 things, better engine, auto option, & airbags,...& Defender could continue?
Pickles.
Post #292369 22nd Dec 2013 9:29am
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
They could do auto with about an hours development because the ford ranger has auto option. More power would be easy 3.2 ford ranger engine.

Air bags not sure think we sit too close to the wheel. Also no crumple zones etc.
Post #292372 22nd Dec 2013 10:13am
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Rangers come in 2 power levels for the 2.2 & 1 for the 3.2. Defender's 2.2 is almost as good as the 3.2, though would work harder.

As a sole driver I'm interested in SWB more than LWB, though would not mind a LWD as well.

One thing LR will want are petrol equivalents as well. Both petrol & diesel must be cheaply modifiable to meet increasingly tight EU & US emissions.

Though nothing as radical as most people on this forum's Defenders seem to be, I like all the customisable options, outside LR's catalogue parameters. The designers' new Censored may make whatever comes along as limited as the current Freelanders & Discoveries. Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #292411 22nd Dec 2013 3:11pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
I was told the other day (by a bloke that knows a bloke who works in Pilkington Glass) that there WILL be a cheap base utility vehicle at around £11k. This being targeted at the Farmers.
Post #292616 23rd Dec 2013 9:22am
Setok

Finland 
People are still mixing up the "not premium" argument with the "no change" argument. I don't think many of us are for "no change". Land Rover, and the Defender, has always evolved and developed. We want the Defender to be the roughest, toughest 4x4 out there. An iconic vehicle that lends credibility to the other models. The vehicle you should see being used by the UN and bringing patrolling in Afghanistan. The one people go exploring lost lands in. Nothing else in LR's range fits that goal. If used right, that can be a huge brand asset (I often compare to Jeep and the Wrangler — certainly not their most popular vehicle, but separates the brand from other SUVs). Land Rover has just struggled to understand that asset.

That asset is not another pimped up 'premium' (=expensive, upmarket) brandsmobile, but the real deal.

Btw does anyone know what is going to happen to the Wrangler post-2015? If that can continue, I really don't understand how the Defender cannot.
Post #292868 23rd Dec 2013 11:51pm
jimbob7

2 reasons the Jeep wrangler will carry on being made,it got 4 star rating from ANCAP,it's also cheaper to build so makes the company moar money (which is the top and bottom line for any company).I for one are definitely in the "no change" camp,if they have to change fair enough,just don't call it a Defender. Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #292889 24th Dec 2013 9:18am
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
I don't think the new Land Rover Utility vehicle (if they make one) will be called a Defender.

If produced it will be called something else and will not be a replacement for the Defender.
Post #292903 24th Dec 2013 9:45am
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Setok wrote:
People are still mixing up the "not premium" argument with the "no change" argument. I don't think many of us are for "no change". Land Rover, and the Defender, has always evolved and developed. We want the Defender to be the roughest, toughest 4x4 out there. An iconic vehicle that lends credibility to the other models. The vehicle you should see being used by the UN and bringing patrolling in Afghanistan. The one people go exploring lost lands in. Nothing else in LR's range fits that goal. If used right, that can be a huge brand asset (I often compare to Jeep and the Wrangler — certainly not their most popular vehicle, but separates the brand from other SUVs). Land Rover has just struggled to understand that asset.

I don't see why a technolocially updated, but still simple and safety-compliant vehicle can't be produced whilst keeping much of the "essence" of the current product. A radical re-think is not what is needed.

That asset is not another pimped up 'premium' (=expensive, upmarket) brandsmobile, but the real deal.

Btw does anyone know what is going to happen to the Wrangler post-2015? If that can continue, I really don't understand how the Defender cannot.

Yes I think this is right - they have never quite got the appeal the Defender has *because* it is the vehicle famers use, the army uses, the powerline boys use, explorers use etc. Landrover seem to think they sell in spite of these aspects, not because of them.

Ditto the fact that it looks like nothing else on the road. I think the VW Amarak is a very nice truck, but if Landrover made something similar I'm sorry but I would get an Amarak in instead. Any new Defender needs to stand out in an already oversaturated and fickle market, Landrover used to be the brand that led the crowd, now they seem to be following?

With regard to the Wranger being non-produceable post-2015 I wonder how the Unimog will fare? I'd rather be run over by a Defender than a 'mog!

I have trouble believing a lot of what is in the press though, the comment about the Defender going out of production due to emissions for example is so see-through it is amazing they said it. i do feel to some degree the DC100 was a stunt designed to boost Defender sales (which it did so I understand) I wonder if the "it is being killed off on the so and so of December 2015" is having the same effect? 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #292910 24th Dec 2013 10:26am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12