↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > What is the purpose of paint?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mark_d

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
What is the purpose of paint?
I have had a warranty claim turned down by Land Rover because they claim the paint on the vehicle is "doing it's job".
The problem was reported to them by the paint shop who do Land Rover warranty repairs for my local dealer.
The paint thickness on the vehicle is only 50um on many of the body panels, which is significantly less that the normal range of 140 to 190um. Land Rover Warranty have acknowledge the paint is thinner than it should be but have said it is doing it's job.
I was of the impression that paint was supposed to protect metal from corrosion.
These are some pictures of the "paint in action":

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Am I expecting too much? http://defender90xs.blogspot.co.uk/

Last edited by mark_d on 21st Dec 2013 3:55pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #292187 21st Dec 2013 3:48pm
theorangebandit

Complain mate i. Waiting till New yea. To have corrosion work carried out on my 09 plate truck. I didnt have any trpible getting mine put through though, despite the anti corrosion checks no. Having been dpne. Although I did but from the approved used and I made damn sure they new that
Post #292189 21st Dec 2013 3:54pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Nothing new there. Whistle

Here's a couple of threads worth reading and from my own advice if you 'stick with it' you may get them to pay or even come out on top if you yourself have to shell out....

Thumbs Up

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic25364.html?highlight=fillet

Very similar pictures and scenario to yourself....

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic23030.html?highlight=brokered If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #292196 21st Dec 2013 4:19pm
mark_d

This corrosion was reported before the vehicle was 3 years old so, unlike those other examples, this should have been fixed under the 3 year paint warranty.

My dealer didn't turn this down, it was Land Rover Warranty department. I haven't seen the pictures or report sent to Land Rover, do I have a right to ask for this? http://defender90xs.blogspot.co.uk/
Post #292201 21st Dec 2013 4:30pm
K9F

I would ask for the report definately and say it is your intention of pursuing this to a mutually satisfactory conclusion.

I took mine to their own repair shop (having been refused by the dealer) asked for the manager and asked his opinion on whether my issue was 'paint or corrosion' related. He stated it was definately 'corrosion.' I thanked him and then explained Land Rover had turned the warranty claim down under the guise of it being a 'paint' issue. He did all the leg work for me and I paid nothing. This was two months ago on a 08 motor.

Play them at their own game. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #292202 21st Dec 2013 4:35pm
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
Hi Mark
Basically the same problem im having with mine, I do think their paint/ preparation is a lot worse quality than when I had my Td5
the only thing I would say is despite sounding somewhat stating the obvious don't touch, as I made that mistake (luckily only the rear mud flap brackets) and they refused to cover it. Thankfully I left the worst bits which were approved. I think it also seems to depend on which dealer and who you talk to though. Keep pursuing though.
Cheers Tom Defender puma dormobile camper
Post #292345 21st Dec 2013 10:36pm
mark_d

Hi Tom,
My dealer and body shop seem to be more than happy to do warranty work, but the Land Rover Warranty department turned down the claim.
The vehicle has had several different things fixed under warranty earlier this year including a respray of the roof, windscreen frame and upper bulkhead. The bulkhead didn't have a defect, but it did have the same very thin paint like the rear and it was given the OK.
My only hope is that the photos taken by the body shop are of poor quality (taken on a small compact camera) as it is quite difficult to photograph white on black.

I'm worried that Land Rover know this is a completely flawed design that won't be an easy fix. The fact that they took over 4 weeks to respond to the claim, stalling the claim just long enough to push the car over it's 3rd birthday, doesn't ease that worry. http://defender90xs.blogspot.co.uk/
Post #292365 22nd Dec 2013 8:23am
K9F

K9F wrote:
This was two months ago on a 08 motor.

If it's 'corrosion' it's 6 not 3 years. Read my links above. If you can get the body shop to write a report stating the issue is corrosion related you've got them over a barrel. On the other side of the coin if you can get a copy of the report presumably as you stated compiled before the three year point you've got some decent ammunition to work with. Compile your complaint and sent it 'signed for' to LR Customer Care.
Many people have been in a similar position to yourself. I paid for one lot of paint £280 but got a free £400 service by way of 'a Goodwill gesture' my subsequent claim from my quote above was also disputed by LR but they sorted it in the end at no cost to myself, that took 5 months before it was sorted. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #292375 22nd Dec 2013 10:16am
mark_d

These guys?

Customer Relationship Centre
Abbey Road
Whitley
Coventry
CV3 4LH http://defender90xs.blogspot.co.uk/
Post #292384 22nd Dec 2013 11:08am
K9F

Mark you have a 'pm.'

Good luck.... Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #292385 22nd Dec 2013 11:24am
mark_d

Much Appreciated - Thanks Very Happy http://defender90xs.blogspot.co.uk/
Post #292394 22nd Dec 2013 12:45pm
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hi mark_d,

Sorry to hear you are having some issues with the paint work on your Defender. From the pictures it is not clear to me what the problem is, however please can you PM me the following details so I can speak to the warranty team as they will have a full report from the body shop:
Full Name
Email
VIN
Reg
Dealership

Many Thanks

Mike
Post #292623 23rd Dec 2013 10:13am
mark_d

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. I will get the details to you need in the next hour or so.

My understanding of the problem is that the rear capping are made of steel and this is in contact with the bare aluminium of the body panels in some places and not in others. This allows water to get in creating galvanic corrosion between the 2 metals resulting in a white residue that is my defender slowly dissolving.
The aluminium oxide washes away where the paint has not sealed the rear cappings and has started to breakout behind the paint causing the surface to become damaged.

Regards,

Mark http://defender90xs.blogspot.co.uk/
Post #292636 23rd Dec 2013 10:57am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1