↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > audiovisual help please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
audiovisual help please
Ok I have a tv it has 3 hdmi ports, one for virgin one for blue ray and a spare. I also have an older marantz amp. I have the virgin into the tuner port of the amp on normal rca plugs and the blue ray into the aux again on rca leads. This means I have to select which I listen to manually. The tv also has rca audio out. How do I make it so that the tv is the source for the amp? The hdmi s don't seem to connect the sound just the picture. What leads do I need to get sound to the tv from the virgin and Blue ray so that the tv feeds the amp?

Sorry for not explaining better but my understanding is limited. Please help. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #287322 3rd Dec 2013 4:08pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I think I know what you mean, it's just the audio side of things.
Just connect the RCA's on the tv to the Amp and it'll either automatically send the audio signals to it or once you mute the TV send the signal to the Amp then. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #287329 3rd Dec 2013 4:29pm
lambert.the.farmer

Sort of. With the tv only plugged in to the amp and hdmi between the virgin and tv there's no sound either from the tv speakers or the amp. I assume I need a connection from the virgin to the tv besides the hdmi? Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #287343 3rd Dec 2013 5:07pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Could you not use the 3.5mm audio jack from the tv? If you have sound from the tv with no cables attached then that should do it and it's usually the audio jack that you use.
If you have no sound regardless then it needs to be plugged in from the source. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #287346 3rd Dec 2013 5:12pm
WelshGas

Wales 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
It would seem that either the Virgin box or Blueray box do NOT have sound out via HDMI, or more likely the TV does not accept audio via HDMI. My money is on the TV
Now this may be as simple as switching HDMI sound on on the TV setup menu, or using additional audio in leads to the TV. I suggest looking at the TV handbook.
To get sound out from the TV just connect the TV to the amplifier using the appropriate leads. Then whatever sound the TV is playing from whatever source then the same sound can be heard from the amp and speakers.
On my Panasonic TV I have to select sound input type for each HDMI channel input. Check your TV handbook. Thumbs Up LANDYWATCH

Neighbourhood Watch for Land Rover Owners

http://www.landywatch.co.uk/smf2/index.php
Post #287422 3rd Dec 2013 9:29pm
lambert.the.farmer

Ok so I have looked at the book and it seems that what I thought were audio output are actually inputs. Durr. So I will try the headphone jack plug and take it from there. Cheers for the help, as you can tell I need it. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #287553 4th Dec 2013 7:12am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1