↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > remote start
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
x-isle

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I think most remote starts keep the doors locked and not driveable.

If you press the throttle it cuts out.

It's quite common in certain US states either to cool the car down (a mates Dodge in Houston was fitted with one as standard and apparently he could start it from a few miles away) or to warm the car up.

In fact, I've just come back from Florida and there was an advert (Ford I think) for new cars with remote start to clear the snow and warm the car up. Why this was being advertised in Florida I have no idea! Question Craig Rogers

2007 Puma 110 XS
2011 Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux
www.craigrogers.photography
Post #284326 22nd Nov 2013 5:02pm
munch90

England 
defninety wrote:
x-isle wrote:

However, when you start a 4x4, particularly one with all the gubbings a Defender has, you really should be depressing the clutch pedal to take the load out of the drive train on start up. It also means there's less to turn by the starter motor.

The other way of looking at this is if you start the engine with the clutch depressed you are exerting an amount of axial loading on the crankshaft before building up oil pressure to take up the thrust force. In other words you 'could' be wearing your thrust bearing sooner causing more crankshaft end float and additional wear on your engine.

agree 100%
thrust bearing are only have very small surface area compared to ends or mains they must have lots of oil over them and there not pressure fed only lubed by what comes out of side of main bearing
when turning over with foot off clutch your only turning 2 shafts that have no load on them anyway
turning over with foot on clutch to help starter comes from to days when you had 90 grade oil in gearbox the real thick stuff and cold was very very thick
BUT as a safety thing then yes foot on clutch OR just check its not in gear
Post #284327 22nd Nov 2013 5:22pm
munch90

England 
x-isle wrote:

It's quite common in certain US states either to cool the car down (a mates Dodge in Houston was fitted with one as standard and apparently he could start it from a few miles away) or to warm the car up.

In fact, I've just come back from Florida and there was an advert (Ford I think) for new cars with remote start to clear the snow and warm the car up. Why this was being advertised in Florida I have no idea! Question

a lot tend to have handbrake switch if brake taken off engine outs out ..much like run lock that lorrys police cars and ambulances have
Post #284328 22nd Nov 2013 5:26pm
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
A remote start system is very similar to the run lock system operated in police cars etc (and some trucks). If any pedal is pressed the engine cuts out, so can't be driven until the key is in the ignition. An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #284331 22nd Nov 2013 5:53pm
defninety

1985 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
x-isle wrote:

In fact, I've just come back from Florida and there was an advert (Ford I think) for new cars with remote start to clear the snow and warm the car up. Why this was being advertised in Florida I have no idea! Question

I think you will probably see over the next few years more and more manufacturers offering remote start purely for warm up, de-icing and passenger comfort reasons . FBH's etc tend to be unreliable at times and with the advent of stop/start technology on most new vehicles nowadays, all the required sensors etc for safely doing so are already in place.
Post #284335 22nd Nov 2013 6:02pm
defninety

munch90 wrote:

turning over with foot on clutch to help starter comes from to days when you had 90 grade oil in gearbox the real thick stuff and cold was very very thick
BUT as a safety thing then yes foot on clutch OR just check its not in gear

Yes I agree with you there, it used to be a bit of an old school thing to help start up when you had oil like treacle and nowadays it is recommended by manufactures in the hand books purely as a safety feature. Hence on a lot of modern autos you need to press the brake pedal and modern manuals the clutch and/or brake before it will allow you to crank the engine.
Post #284336 22nd Nov 2013 6:08pm
munch90

England 
DELETED

Last edited by munch90 on 22nd Nov 2013 6:15pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #284337 22nd Nov 2013 6:09pm
munch90

England 
defninety wrote:
x-isle wrote:

I think you will probably see over the next few years more and more manufacturers offering remote start purely for warm up, de-icing and passenger comfort reasons . FBH's etc tend to be unreliable at times and with the advent of stop/start technology on most new vehicles nowadays, all the required sensors etc for safely doing so are already in place.

NOT HAVING A DIG AT YOU BUT

All the greeneys keep telling us to switch engines off while stationery at lights or crossing etc to help save the planet... now we gonna have everybodys cars running warming up outside they houses .
wonder what they say to that!!!!
perhaps there go round keying everybodys car not just 4x4s like some were in London a while back
Post #284339 22nd Nov 2013 6:10pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
It's actually illegal to leave an unattended vehicle running. I don't care if you do, just pointing that out Smile

Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #284394 22nd Nov 2013 8:51pm
defninety

^^^^ it's illegal to leave an unattended vehicle running on a public highway not on your own property. Therefore when you start your car to defrost whilst it is sat on your drive way, you are breaking no laws!
Post #284406 22nd Nov 2013 9:28pm
mrd1990

Wales 2000 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
To answer the original question: Yes

Here's my solution:

You'll need to leave the keyfob inside the dash permanently.. I believe it's needed unlock ECU to allow the car to start, this will compromise security.. The electronics are actually pretty simple.. a simple cheap remote starter kit will do (£50)

The interesting part which will resolve all issues as mentioned above is an actuator..

I.e: This thingy:

Install a simple 12v actuator to lock the clutch pedal in position when depressed. This solves the problem of leaving the car in gear and general wear and tear, also acts as a layer of security if correctly installed with a hidden switch.. Whistle

E.g: You press the clutch all the way down, flick a hidden switch to power the actuator causing the clutch to lock in place.

Actuators don't use any electricity when powered so battery drain isn't a concern. Fit a switch on the clutch to enable the remote started only when the clutch is depressed.

Sounds complicated but it's only about

• ~6 wires
• An actuator ( a waterproof one Laughing )
• 4 bolts to stick it to the bulkhead
• Hole cutting into the clutch pedal arm for the actuator arm
• On-Off-On switch

Alternatively you can install a simple lever next to the handbrake to hold the clutch depressed Laughing )
Post #284419 22nd Nov 2013 10:12pm
Will.I.AM

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Kaikoura Stone
for those who are interested i now have a price. I was told by Neil of Creative Car Sounds, he could do it for 450inc vat. This includes a remote stop alarm system linked to the fob as well, so for up to 200 yards, you can turn the engine on or off. It also includes a imobalisation system as well which cant be undone. I know some defenders have it already but another deterent or electronic head ache for clever theives is not a bad thing.
Post #285701 27th Nov 2013 4:32pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
<delete> - boy this thread is moving fast
Post #285702 27th Nov 2013 4:44pm
Paddie42

England 2003 Defender 110 Td5 SW Belize Green
Did anyone get this fitted?
Post #377414 8th Dec 2014 9:32pm
munch90

England 
Doesnt matter if it 2 wheel drive or 4x4 , all your turning in the drivetrain is input (1st motion shaft ) and laygear ( 2nd motion shaft ) , and thats the same for any car
Normally only reason for starting clutch down is safety
agree with clutch down putting extra load on crank thrust bearing , normally only small brg surfaces
Post #377435 8th Dec 2014 10:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>