↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Video Cameras for Off-Roading
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ellebarto

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Video Cameras for Off-Roading
I keep getting asked how I film my green lane videos so maybe this will be of interest to you.

I do a few product reviews every now and again and I wrote this one recently having been given a Drift Ghost HD camera to try out.

I have to say that having just used it on a fell weekend’s laning it’s the best bit of kit I’ve used in a long time.

http://geekanddummy.com/review-drift-hd-ghost-action-camera/ Check out my YouTube channel for green laning and Land Rover "how to" videos.
Post #271983 7th Oct 2013 10:14am
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
better than a gopro?
Post #273245 12th Oct 2013 10:45pm
ellebarto

I have to say I think it is. Its an utter pleasure to use and the remote control is pure genius in its design and operation.

Still quite expensive and still quite dark footage here and there but if your so minded you can sort that in editing! Check out my YouTube channel for green laning and Land Rover "how to" videos.
Post #273248 12th Oct 2013 10:54pm
x-isle

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
It's not a bad camera, I tried one a while ago for Mountain Biking, but in all honesty, it's not a GoPro Hero 3.

Can't compare to the older GoPros, but no other camera currently compares to the Hero 3. As you mentioned, the Ghost doesn't cut it in the not so good light, this is where the GoPro excels. It was one of the reasons (apart from frame rate) I didn't buy it. Mountain Biking down technical trails can swap between good and poor light in an instance, the Ghost couldn't keep up.

The frame rate is not as high as a GoPro at only 30fps in 1080, of course for capturing driving that may not be an issue, but the angle of view is not as high as a GoPro either and now that the Hero 3+ has been released, I suspect it's even better.

Saying all that, it is a bit cheaper than the GoPro. Craig Rogers

2007 Puma 110 XS
2011 Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux
www.craigrogers.photography
Post #273269 13th Oct 2013 8:31am
ellebarto

Does the new Go Pro still need a case to be weather proof and have the same button configuration and operation?

I haven't seen one in use yet! Check out my YouTube channel for green laning and Land Rover "how to" videos.
Post #273300 13th Oct 2013 11:15am
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
ive had all the gopro's from the original to a 3black, much better than the other's tried a contour once but i prefer a chest mount...

for uploading it all depends on how you edit it,

this is a 2 year old vid thats 100% on the go pro hd2's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KagtcPcOA7k...hnvO_loDhK
Post #273307 13th Oct 2013 11:45am
ellebarto

That's a bad comparison though buddy, well for this forum. Stick it on a bonnet and drive along a lane on a rainy winters day

The go-pro is indeed brilliant in good sunlight. That example film is about the best lit scene you could possible have what with a white snow background. I suspect if you run that through a forest or on a stormy raining day it will be a different story. Check out my YouTube channel for green laning and Land Rover "how to" videos.
Post #273383 13th Oct 2013 4:22pm
ellebarto

Interestingly a supplier of this camera in the UK has seen my review and wants to break into the off roading marketing. They have sent me a load of 10% discount codes to use against this camera. Having used it last weekend I have to say I am a convert and I've bought a couple myself.

If anyone wants a discount code just drop me a PM. It actually says it can be used against Helmet Cameras, Mounts and accessories so even if the Drift isn't your bag then it might be useful.

Here's the latest film I shot mostly with this camera.

Check out my YouTube channel for green laning and Land Rover "how to" videos.
Post #273602 14th Oct 2013 9:30am
jont

2006 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Santorini Black
See the GoPro Hero 3 has just been updated to the 3+ ... even smaller and lighter than before apparently !

Makes my GoPro 2 seem betamax/laserdisc in comparison !!

Jon
Post #273621 14th Oct 2013 11:16am
ellebarto

Again it comes down to its use. As a helmet action camera that must be a bonus. As a Land Rover car cam I want something that feels robust and I can press buttons on in mid winter! Check out my YouTube channel for green laning and Land Rover "how to" videos.
Post #273622 14th Oct 2013 11:17am
x-isle

I've never had any problem with the buttons on the 3? Not sure what life was like before the 3 as I've never owned an earlier GoPro.

I've used the GoPro with my winter Mountain Bike gloves on without any issue?

Anyway, I tend to use either the Wifi Remote or the App for it with the Defender. As if it's mounted outside the car then having the remote with the same display as the back of the GoPro is awesome. Craig Rogers

2007 Puma 110 XS
Post #273625 14th Oct 2013 11:27am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
used my gopro hero3 black yesterday on the plains, ran all day at 5 sec intervals ... nice thing about the gopro's is they just work well
Post #273629 14th Oct 2013 11:50am
x-isle

The thing that has always worried me about the Drift stuff is they don't seem to put the full specifications anywhere, so you can't compare them?

Don't get me wrong, it's a decent bit of kit, but lack of low light capabilitles, a short remote range (and no display), only 30fps at 1080 and the proven variety of mounts makes the extra £100 worth it for the big daddy. That price comparison is the standard Ghost kit which only includes two 3m mounts too, where as the the GoPro is the 3+ Black edition.

The Silver editon of the 3+ is also a better specification to the Ghost and at £280 is also a better buy in my opinion.

I wouldn't want the White edition as it lacks a lot of the specification, but that's less than £200. Craig Rogers

2007 Puma 110 XS
Post #273630 14th Oct 2013 12:05pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
ellebarto wrote:
Interestingly a supplier of this camera in the UK has seen my review and wants to break into the off roading marketing. They have sent me a load of 10% discount codes to use against this camera. Having used it last weekend I have to say I am a convert and I've bought a couple myself.

If anyone wants a discount code just drop me a PM. It actually says it can be used against Helmet Cameras, Mounts and accessories so even if the Drift isn't your bag then it might be useful.

Here's the latest film I shot mostly with this camera.

you had me until then. from what youve said the gopro is at least as good. im not seeing any good reason bar price for not going with the tried and trusted gopro.

im a gopro user myself and have a Hero2, so 2 generations old right now and its still brilliant. check out some vids. no unsteadyness and you can find the buttons easy! it couldnt be easier to be fair. The new gopros have a remote key fob too.

Having ripped it off a couple of time i can confirm the robustness too lol
Post #273642 14th Oct 2013 12:58pm
Shax

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
We used a Go-Pro2 on all the LOHAN electronics flight tests. Last time it went to over 125,000 feet.. The resulting video is brill.... And it survived a "high speed" impact with a Spanish mountain! ... ,-------,
.. I [__][_]|__
.. I __ |"_|"__|
.. "(o)====(o)"
^^_-^-_^-^_^^^^^--^^^^
PAUL
G7ALW 14.200 USB
26FB458 / 27.275 SSB
Post #274684 17th Oct 2013 10:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1