Home > Puma (Tdci) > Trade in value for 90 county
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
willyj

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zermatt Silver
Trade in value for 90 county
Hi Guys

Long time since i posted last. Anyway...

A friend of mine is going to be selling his 90 county MY11 average miles. 2.4tdci. Zambesi silver i think?

He does smoke a pipe and travels to a few farms so its got a good smell in the cab. He said in Feb he is changing it and offered it to me at trade in value.

Whats the value likely to be? And is the general consensus about them good. Been reading some unlucky guys posts about have all sorts of problems.

I have an open mind and a dab hand at repairing 90% of defenders ive had.

Wil
Post #272609 9th Oct 2013 5:36pm
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I am having a nightmare trying to sell my 90 2012 SW, dealer offer £18500.

As for private sale I've been let down twice. Silly offers and some right dodgy blokes turned up in an old land cruiser.

Hope you have better luck than me.
Post #272625 9th Oct 2013 6:50pm
SteveG

2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
Let him get a valuation from dealers rather than offer a value yourself. If that looks ok price, trade offers are usually 15-20% below forecourt then it will be a good deal. If the smell is too bad you could replace carpets, retrim seats and clean for about £7-800.

If you know its in good order, and been serviced as advised, there is no reason why it shouldn't be reliable.
Post #272738 10th Oct 2013 10:37am
willyj

He was going to let me know how much the dealer offers him, he isqnt the sort of bloke that would rip me off as been a long family friend and doesnt need the money.

Im not botherd about the smell etc as i will using it for work anyway.

I see him regulary and know that this isnt a friday defender as its had hardly any warrenty jobs / faults except for cosmetic i.e. cubby box wear.

Are there any obvious flaws with the puma i shoud be aware about, as in td5 injector loom oil problem. Price of hard top will be plus vat.

Wil
Post #272828 10th Oct 2013 11:06pm
SteveG

Sounds really good. If you change your mind about the smoke, have a search for a local car detailer, they should be able to sort you out with a good deal on a quick upholstery and carpets wet vac and spray. This will get rid of most of the smell at minimal cost and with IPA diluted 3:1 on rest of surfaces should help too.

Personally, if it's seen regular farm track use, I'd give it a good clean, lubricate everything well including propshafts, hubs. Drain axle oils and replace, replace coolant, replace brake fluid, air con regas if fitted. Clean sensors if it has ABS/ETC. Dinitrol chassis, underside, bulkhead, and doors.

Then just normal servicing and deal with any issues if you come across them. The key then is regular use.

If you want some creature comforts then a good quality centre cubby box, some sound deadening, and rubber mats over rear interior incl arches makes a big difference.

Cheers

Steve
Post #272830 10th Oct 2013 11:34pm
SGoggin

If it's been on cow farms and not been washed underneath afterwards - then look for rust. Cow Poo eats defender chassis for breakfast.
Post #272840 11th Oct 2013 1:10am
willyj

Thanks for the replys.

He came over yesterday and i had a good poke around.

39k on clock clean as you can get a 3yr old defender. Everything well maintained..

He said the dealer was probably going to offer him just over 10k for it as his previous one did. (Plus vat)

Which is the undersealer everyones using now?

Ive used the waxoyl stuff for years but it isnt the easiest.

Wil
Post #273584 14th Oct 2013 7:56am
SteveG

On a used Defender I'd recommend dinitrol 3125 first coating underneath, inside chassis, and bulkhead. This is designed for used vehicles where you have surface rust. It penetrates well and has a rust inhibiter. I left mine about 24 hours to let the solvent evaporate and then applied 4941 over it as the tougher underseal.

This should last about 3-4 years before it needs applying again. Unless you have a well ventilated spot inside, personally I'd wait until the summer to do it outside. Cleaning, for me, took longer than application and I used a couple of disposable paint suits and decorators sheet so there was no mess.
Post #273592 14th Oct 2013 8:52am
pjb

I would have thought 10k plus vat on a Puma a good price 2020 P300 HSE
Post #273594 14th Oct 2013 8:57am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1